Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Strimists Shoulder

My shoulder and right pectoral are still aching after my attempts to
start the strimmer at the weekend.

2-stroke B&D fella I got off Ebay for £10. Sold not working because
the starter cable was broken.

It only took a few hours to work out how to fix the thing and I used it
for ages. That was back in the summer.

Got it out on Saturday to tackle the micro-jungle that has since grown
where the lawn used to be and would the bugger start?

Actually, "Yes" is the answer, but only after about a zillion pulls and
then mostly it just cut out after a couple of seconds. One time it
stayed running, but only on a small amount of throttle. Letting it
idle or attempting to increase to full power saw it cough and die.

Much fiddling, poking, cleaning and spraying with WD40 later and it
still refused to sing.

Turned out to be some problem caused by the fuel. Emptied it out, put
in some fresh fuel mixed with fresh oil and it started - not first
time, but after a suitable period of pulling presumably to purge the
old fuel from the line.

After debating what to do with the old suspect fuel I settled on
burning it in a metal dustbin. Went up with a satisfying 'whooomph'
:-)

Is it possible to say what the likely problem with the fuel was?
Water? Particles? Stale? (whatever that means)

If I don't use it for several months over winter am I likely to end up
with the same starting problems in Spring?

--
Steve F

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fitz wrote:
[...]

Sounds more like its got low compression to me. You *might* get away with
fitting new rings but it could be more drastic than that.
IMHO

Chris

--

http://tinyurl.com/hhlr

Posted to uk.d-i-y

chris 159 wrote:

Fitz wrote:
My shoulder and right pectoral are still aching after my attempts to
start the strimmer at the weekend.

Sounds more like its got low compression to me. You *might* get away with
fitting new rings but it could be more drastic than that.
IMHO

Ooo. Don't like the sound of that. Once it was running with fresh
fuel it was sweet and didn't stutter once, even under load. I stopped
it several times to do other things and coming back to it after a break
of anywhere from 5minutes to and hour, it then started on the first
pull.

Does this behaviour still point to the same problem?

If it is the rings is the reapir job as 'simple' as getting access to
the cylinder head, removing the head, unclip old rings from piston,
clip on new rings, replace gaskets, 'assembly is the reverse of
removal' etc?

cheers
--
Steve F

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fitz wrote:
chris 159 wrote:

Fitz wrote:
My shoulder and right pectoral are still aching after my attempts to
start the strimmer at the weekend.

Sounds more like its got low compression to me. You *might* get away
with fitting new rings but it could be more drastic than that.
IMHO

Ooo. Don't like the sound of that. Once it was running with fresh
fuel it was sweet and didn't stutter once, even under load. I stopped
it several times to do other things and coming back to it after a
break of anywhere from 5minutes to and hour, it then started on the
first pull.

Does this behaviour still point to the same problem?

Fraid so. its typical of 2-strokes. even after an hour the cylinder is still
warm enough to help vaporise the fuel which is why it starts easily.

If it is the rings is the reapir job as 'simple' as getting access to
the cylinder head, removing the head, unclip old rings from piston,
clip on new rings, replace gaskets, 'assembly is the reverse of
removal' etc?

cheers

err... no! you gotta strip the whole cylinder off which involves cables,
pipes, seals and all sorts of stuff. then when refitting its quite easy to
break the new rings if you're not used to doing it.

is there a lawn-mower centre or similar close to you ? you could take it
there to have a compression check done to determine if this is the problem

Chris
--

http://tinyurl.com/hhlr

Posted to uk.d-i-y

chris 159 wrote:

Fitz wrote:
chris 159 wrote:

Fitz wrote:
My shoulder and right pectoral are still aching after my attempts to
start the strimmer at the weekend.

Sounds more like its got low compression to me. You *might* get away
with fitting new rings but it could be more drastic than that.
IMHO

is there a lawn-mower centre or similar close to you ? you could take it
there to have a compression check done to determine if this is the problem

Yes there is one fairly close around the corner.

If I get the same problem next time I try to use it I'll ask them to
check it out.

thanks

--
Steve F

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fitz wrote:
chris 159 wrote:

Fitz wrote:
chris 159 wrote:

Fitz wrote:
My shoulder and right pectoral are still aching after my attempts
to start the strimmer at the weekend.

Sounds more like its got low compression to me. You *might* get
away with fitting new rings but it could be more drastic than that.
IMHO

is there a lawn-mower centre or similar close to you ? you could
take it there to have a compression check done to determine if this
is the problem

Yes there is one fairly close around the corner.

If I get the same problem next time I try to use it I'll ask them to
check it out.

thanks

Why wait until you need to use it ? go get them to test it now - i doubt
they'd charge for doing that

Chris

--

http://tinyurl.com/hhlr

Posted to uk.d-i-y

chris 159 wrote:
Fitz wrote:
chris 159 wrote:

Fitz wrote:
chris 159 wrote:

Fitz wrote:
My shoulder and right pectoral are still aching after my attempts
to start the strimmer at the weekend.

Sounds more like its got low compression to me. You *might* get
away with fitting new rings but it could be more drastic than that.
IMHO
is there a lawn-mower centre or similar close to you ? you could
take it there to have a compression check done to determine if this
is the problem

Yes there is one fairly close around the corner.

If I get the same problem next time I try to use it I'll ask them to
check it out.

thanks

Why wait until you need to use it ? go get them to test it now - i doubt
they'd charge for doing that

The first thing to check for a troublesome 2-stroke would always be a
fouled plug. It could be that this was the cause of the trouble, but
getting it running with the little boost of fresh fuel has managed to
clean it up a bit so it's running now. Take the plug out, give it a
clean, gap it and bung it back in as a first resort. In my experience,
an engine without any other issues should run on old fuel with no
problem. (Assuming not stored in an open container or anything else
similarly silly!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fitz wrote:
[...]

The only time I had serious trouble with fuel, was a half tankful in a 4
stroke garden tractor that had not been used for 2 1/2 years.

After putting in half tank of new, and a new battery, it ran fine till
it got stolen.

The lighter and more explosive fractions of petrol do evaporate faster
than the more oily ones.

Generally all my stuff starts fine - well maybe its a tad reluctant -
but it goes in the end - after a winters storage sometimes on full tanks.

With 2 strokes its probably best to run them dry for storage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fitz wrote:
chris 159 wrote:

Fitz wrote:
[...]

I doubt that it is low compression. Or if it is, that that is something
to worry about much.

In the final analysis one doesn't normally repair a cheap strimmer. The
parts are almost as much as a new one.

Run it till its shagged and then chuck it.

cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Run it till its shagged and then chuck it.

cheers

Or put it back on eBay;might get the tenner back :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is it possible to say what the likely problem with the fuel was?
Water? Particles? Stale? (whatever that means)

If I don't use it for several months over winter am I likely to end up
with the same starting problems in Spring?

Over time, fuel loses its octane which makes it not as powerful and doesnt
light as easy from a spark plug.
Fixed my mates mower who was using 6 month old fuel by changing the fuel.
If u leave it over winter, change the fuel when u next use it

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Swiss Tony wrote:
Is it possible to say what the likely problem with the fuel was?
Water? Particles? Stale? (whatever that means)

If I don't use it for several months over winter am I likely to end up
with the same starting problems in Spring?

Over time, fuel loses its octane which makes it not as powerful and doesnt
light as easy from a spark plug.
Fixed my mates mower who was using 6 month old fuel by changing the fuel.
If u leave it over winter, change the fuel when u next use it

Thanks for the advice.

Oh, by the way, I found these "yo" under the sofa, they appear to be
yours.

--
Steve F

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fitz wrote:
My shoulder and right pectoral are still aching after my attempts to
start the strimmer at the weekend.

Got it out on Saturday to tackle the micro-jungle that has since grown
where the lawn used to be and would the bugger start?

The only time I had serious trouble with fuel, was a half tankful in a 4
stroke garden tractor that had not been used for 2 1/2 years.

After putting in half tank of new, and a new battery, it ran fine till
it got stolen.

With 2 strokes its probably best to run them dry for storage.

I'd got it in the back of my head that the fuel was about 6 months
old...

Your post prompted me to think a bit harder about this and it occurred
to me that I've had the fuel since hiring a 2-stroke stone cutter...
before my child was born... she's now 18 months. So the fuel and oil
mixture is nearer 2 years old.

Doesn't explain why it ran ok in the summer though.

--
Steve F

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Over time, fuel loses its octane which makes it not as powerful and

doesnt
light as easy from a spark plug.
Fixed my mates mower who was using 6 month old fuel by changing the

fuel.
If u leave it over winter, change the fuel when u next use it

Thanks for the advice.

Oh, by the way, I found these "yo" under the sofa, they appear to be
yours.

--
Steve F

You are very funny ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fitz wrote:
[...]

warm engines are always easier to start.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

warm engines are always easier to start.

Ah, here's a man who never had an MG Maestro!

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com, Fitz
writes
[...]

Hi,

Yes, *probably* the fuel.

I am no expert on this, I speak only from what I've heard etc and from
personal experience.

I keep a jerry can of unleaded with added fuel stabiliser in the garage
specifically for the lawn mower. I recently borrowed a petrol garden vac
which had sat for some time. It was a git to start or run, actually
unusable. I drained out the fuel that was already in it and replaced it
with *not fresh*, but stabilised fuel. It worked fine (after some
tugging to get what remained out of the system).

I'd have never believed it to be honest, but experience from my second
hand mower and the borrowed garden vac seems to support that view.

Look here at what is mentioned in a common lawn mower engine service
kit....

http://www.mower-magic.co.uk/acatalo..._Stratton.html

I've heard also that fuel left in the engine can leave a glaze or
varnish on the jets/fuel lines etc etc. Having used stabilised fuel for
the past few years I haven't actually experienced this myself but
*apparently* it can be a problem.

More about it here....

http://www.thefarm.org/charities/i4at/surv/sta-bil.htm

Hth