Posted to uk.d-i-y
51 51 is offline

Default Mortar storage

Hi all.
Can a dry mortar mix (B&Q ready mix sand & cement)
be stored for a period of time if its kept dry?

Thanks.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

51 wrote:
Hi all.
Can a dry mortar mix (B&Q ready mix sand & cement)
be stored for a period of time if its kept dry?

Thanks.

Arthur

I believe they now have a limited shelf life, around 4 to 6 months IIRC.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Packed on/Use by date stamps on bags of portland cement I have, work
out at a "use within 2 months" from the date of packing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Googlebot writes:
51 wrote:
Hi all.
Can a dry mortar mix (B&Q ready mix sand & cement)
be stored for a period of time if its kept dry?

I believe they now have a limited shelf life, around 4 to 6 months IIRC.

The cement slowly sets by itself as it absorbs moisture
from the air, making it rather more lumpy than powdery.
You can still use it, but the cement remaining usable
becomes less and less, so the mixture effectively gets
weaker the longer you store it. I have used some which
was up to 5 years old (was well sealed up) and it worked
OK, but I expect the resulting mortar was significantly
weaker, although that didn't matter in this case.

Actually, I haven't seen dry mortar mix for many years.
I used to buy the odd bag from Wickes, but more recently
it has been supplied as a bag of wet sand with a sealed
sachet of cement in it, which is completely pointless
AFAICS.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message .com
from " contains these words:

Packed on/Use by date stamps on bags of portland cement I have, work
out at a "use within 2 months" from the date of packing.

Apparently the shelf life has shortened of late because of the removal
of chromium salts which caused skin problems.

--
Skipweasel