Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replace boiler and leave CH system as is?

Hi all,
I've got a 20 odd year old gas central heating system that works fine,
except the boiler need replacing.
Can I have the boiler replaced without the need for an upgrade of the
remainder of the system?
The main reason I ask is that existing radiators each have a single
flow/return valve. To upgrade these to individual thermostatically
controlled rads would mean considerable work on each radiator. Since
the system is working fine, except for the boiler, I'd rather avoid
fixing things that are not broke.
--
All the best,
Les Grant

Drop the EGG to email me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 10:31:03 +0100, Les Grant wrote:

Hi all,
I've got a 20 odd year old gas central heating system that works fine,
except the boiler need replacing.
Can I have the boiler replaced without the need for an upgrade of the
remainder of the system?
The main reason I ask is that existing radiators each have a single
flow/return valve. To upgrade these to individual thermostatically
controlled rads would mean considerable work on each radiator. Since
the system is working fine, except for the boiler, I'd rather avoid
fixing things that are not broke.

I think the official answer is that you must upgrade the controls.In
practice you may find someone who'll turn a blind eye and just replace the
boiler, but they may be dodgy in other respects too. Isn't it
possible to put inline TRVs in the pipework to each rad leaving the
existing valves in place (but rendered not manually adjustable so they're
just used for balancing)?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 19:56:05 GMT, John Stumbles
wrote:

[...]

The inline TRV's seem like a good idea to me but if I'm going to the
trouble of doing that, I might as well do the full modification. This
being so, is it realistic to mix micro bore and 15mm pipework in the
same pipe run, or would it be necessary to replace micro bore with
15mm
all the way from each main 22mm branch?
--
All the best,
Les Grant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Yes go ahead do what ever looks best. The only no-no is to start adding
radiator plumbed entirely in 15mm straight off the 22mm main flow and
returns, even then you can still make it work but you'll have to screw the
lock shield valves right down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Oct 2006 14:21:59 +0100, Ed Sirett
wrote:

Yes go ahead do what ever looks best. The only no-no is to start adding
radiator plumbed entirely in 15mm straight off the 22mm main flow and
returns, even then you can still make it work but you'll have to screw the
lock shield valves right down.

Thanks Ed, glad you cleared that up. The no-no was exactly what I was
going to do until you pointed it out.
--
All the best,
Les Grant