Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Getting under the kitchen floor?

I need to get under my kitchen floor to move a water pipe. I was under
the impression that the floor would be chipboard over joists. However,
the small section i have uncovered, is light grey in colour (looks more
like concrete/cement) although when tapping it, sounds hollow. Can
anyone suggest what this material might be and how to cut it? The house
was built in 1981.

Not sure if it is relevent, but the kitchin is apparently over a large
void space (we are on the side of a hill).

Many thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

normanwisdom wrote:
wrote:
I need to get under my kitchen floor to move a water pipe. I was under
the impression that the floor would be chipboard over joists. However,
the small section i have uncovered, is light grey in colour (looks more
like concrete/cement) although when tapping it, sounds hollow. Can
anyone suggest what this material might be and how to cut it? The house
was built in 1981.

Not sure if it is relevent, but the kitchin is apparently over a large
void space (we are on the side of a hill).

Many thanks

Beam and block?

Hi

I dont think if beam and block is like this
http://www.hanson.co.uk/Products-Ser...st/Beam_Block/
it can be. I can dig a screwdriver into and it seems more fiberous
than crumbly, and jumping on the floor causes a lot of vibration in the
room.