Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fibreglass repairs

Is it worth trying to repair a crack roughly 15 mm from the plug hole in
a fibreglass bath?

I've seen various kits of the web which claim to be miraculous! Or
could use car bodywork resin - as in one of the Isopon kits - to fill
the crack?

It only has to last less than a year as the bathroom is due to be
gutted. Thus, waterproofing is the only aim not aesthetic perfection.

TIA

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 18:54:37 +0100, Richard wrote:

|Is it worth trying to repair a crack roughly 15 mm from the plug hole in
|a fibreglass bath?
|
|I've seen various kits of the web which claim to be miraculous! Or
|could use car bodywork resin - as in one of the Isopon kits - to fill
|the crack?
|
|It only has to last less than a year as the bathroom is due to be
|gutted. Thus, waterproofing is the only aim not aesthetic perfection.

As you are not interested in "aesthetic perfection" drill a tiny hole in
both ends of the crack to stop it growing, open the crack to a slight V at
the top, fill with slow setting araldite, move both sides to get the epoxy
well into crack and the holes, clean off excess epoxy with meths before it
sets. That will last for several years
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Richard writes:
Is it worth trying to repair a crack roughly 15 mm from the plug hole in
a fibreglass bath?

I've seen various kits of the web which claim to be miraculous! Or
could use car bodywork resin - as in one of the Isopon kits - to fill
the crack?

It only has to last less than a year as the bathroom is due to be
gutted. Thus, waterproofing is the only aim not aesthetic perfection.

I had the same problem due to dropping something in the bath.
I stuck a piece of insulating tape over it. It actually stayed
there quite a bit longer than a year in the end, but never
leaked or came off.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
Richard writes:

Is it worth trying to repair a crack roughly 15 mm from the plug hole in
a fibreglass bath?

I've seen various kits of the web which claim to be miraculous! Or
could use car bodywork resin - as in one of the Isopon kits - to fill
the crack?

It only has to last less than a year as the bathroom is due to be
gutted. Thus, waterproofing is the only aim not aesthetic perfection.

I had the same problem due to dropping something in the bath.
I stuck a piece of insulating tape over it. It actually stayed
there quite a bit longer than a year in the end, but never
leaked or came off.

Thanks both

I'll do the 'stress relieving holes and Araldite-thing' but I do like
the idea of repairing it with insulting tape.

Cheers

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-01 22:34:09 +0100, Richard said:

Thanks both

I'll do the 'stress relieving holes and Araldite-thing' but I do like
the idea of repairing it with insulting tape.

What's the bath done to you? ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Hall writes:
Was it the multipoint that fell in?

No (it's in a different room).
It was, believe it or not, a tape measure...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Richard saying
something like:

Is it worth trying to repair a crack roughly 15 mm from the plug hole in
a fibreglass bath?

I've seen various kits of the web which claim to be miraculous! Or
could use car bodywork resin - as in one of the Isopon kits - to fill
the crack?

If cosmetics don't matter, just roughly sand the crack and apply a
couple of pieces of mat/resin. Two layers if you feel industrious.
--

Dave

fibreglass question please!. Steve UK diy 21 July 25th 06 12:06 AM
Independent loft insulation advice Broadback UK diy 12 June 13th 06 01:40 PM
What if the House Needs Repairs? Ablang Home Ownership 2 October 25th 05 05:47 PM
auto repairs Vic Dura Home Repair 3 August 9th 05 04:10 PM
fibreglass garryb59 UK diy 5 May 6th 05 01:02 PM