Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Air brick question

Do I need one? I have two chimney breasts in my living room, one is
still opened and used occasionally - the other is not. Neither is it
capped off at the top so I presume it's either filling with rain water
or moisture. So in my infinitie wisdom I bought a vent that apparently
circulates 10"² of air (whatever that means!) with vents that can be
closed (presumably if it becomes too windy). The chimney breasts are
around 30 ft tall.

I have a reasonable amount of diy expereince but understand little
about how buildings actually work and would really appreciate some
advice from someone better qualified than me (which is pretty much
anyone actually).

Thanx - Bear

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nonymouse" wrote:
Do I need one? I have two chimney breasts in my living room, one is
still opened and used occasionally - the other is not. Neither is it
capped off at the top so I presume it's either filling with rain water
or moisture. So in my infinitie wisdom I bought a vent that apparently
circulates 10"² of air (whatever that means!) with vents that can be
closed (presumably if it becomes too windy). The chimney breasts are
around 30 ft tall.

I have a reasonable amount of diy expereince but understand little
about how buildings actually work and would really appreciate some
advice from someone better qualified than me (which is pretty much
anyone actually).

Thanx - Bear

[ =========== ]

In my opinion there should be an air brick in the chimney breast that has
been bricked up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In my opinion there should be an air brick in the chimney breast that has
been bricked up.

The chimney hasn't been bricked over at the top or capped - does this
make any difference?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nonymouse" wrote in message
oups.com...
Do I need one? I have two chimney breasts in my living room, one is
still opened and used occasionally - the other is not. Neither is it
capped off at the top so I presume it's either filling with rain water
or moisture. So in my infinitie wisdom I bought a vent that apparently
circulates 10"² of air (whatever that means!) with vents that can be
closed (presumably if it becomes too windy). The chimney breasts are
around 30 ft tall.

I have a reasonable amount of diy expereince but understand little
about how buildings actually work and would really appreciate some
advice from someone better qualified than me (which is pretty much
anyone actually).

Last time I checked, the advice was to have an air brick is the top
(outside) wasn't capped and the lower end (inside) was bricked up.

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nonymouse" wrote:
The chimney hasn't been bricked over at the top or capped - does this
make any difference?

It would help to dry out the bricks and mortar (which will be wet when it
rains) if there is a current of air ascending the chimney. Otherwise you run
the risk of damp problems and deterioration of the masonry.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It would help to dry out the bricks and mortar (which will be wet when it
rains) if there is a current of air ascending the chimney. Otherwise you run
the risk of damp problems and deterioration of the masonry.

Interesting - I already have mortar problems on the chimney breast
which is open. Nearing the roof, the mortar has gone soggy and one or
two bricks have had to be replaced. The chimney which is not used
however, has been fine with no such problems - although the adjacent
wall has suffered detioration of the plaster (gone very soft). Is there
any suggestion of what size of vent is required?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nonymouse" wrote:
Interesting - I already have mortar problems on the chimney breast
which is open. Nearing the roof, the mortar has gone soggy and one or
two bricks have had to be replaced. The chimney which is not used
however, has been fine with no such problems - although the adjacent
wall has suffered detioration of the plaster (gone very soft). Is there
any suggestion of what size of vent is required?

By vent, do you mean a ventilated chimney-top cowl?
This might help:
http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/fireplace2.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Reay wrote:

Last time I checked, the advice was to have an air brick is the top
(outside) wasn't capped and the lower end (inside) was bricked up.

No you need to stop rain entering the hole at the top without shutting
it off completely. This means cementing a slab on the vent and having
some overhang so rain runs off and leaving a small vent in the mortar,
preferably on the side out of the predominant wind direction.

But going up there to do that, one may as well take the chimney down
below the roof and close the roof. In the meantime all the warm air in
the rooms below, is being vented up the chimney.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
"nonymouse" writes:
Do I need one? I have two chimney breasts in my living room, one is
still opened and used occasionally - the other is not. Neither is it
capped off at the top so I presume it's either filling with rain water
or moisture. So in my infinitie wisdom I bought a vent that apparently
circulates 10"² of air (whatever that means!) with vents that can be
closed (presumably if it becomes too windy). The chimney breasts are
around 30 ft tall.
I have a reasonable amount of diy expereince but understand little
about how buildings actually work and would really appreciate some
advice from someone better qualified than me (which is pretty much
anyone actually).

A chimney needs venting top and bottom, so there's a through-draft.
It is not normally necessary to cap off a chimney (although it
might slightly extend the life of the exposed outdoor part). Keeping
it vented at the top is much more important than capping off certainly.
If the chimney is on an outside wall, I would suggest venting the
bottom to the outside rather than the room, so it doesn't draw heat
from the room. Ideally, the vents shouldn't be closable because
someone might close them ;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article .com,
"nonymouse" writes:
[...]

I agree with Andrew; consider: a brick lined vertical hole open to the top
is frequently called; - 'a well'. Keep your 'well' dry and not damp -or wet-
by permitting air to be funnelled through it, the top is thirty feet(?)
above the bottom which will give a 'suction' effect.

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nonymouse" writes:
Do I need one? I have two chimney breasts in my living room, one is
still opened and used occasionally - the other is not. Neither is it
capped off at the top so I presume it's either filling with rain water
or moisture. So in my infinitie wisdom I bought a vent that apparently
circulates 10"² of air (whatever that means!) with vents that can be
closed (presumably if it becomes too windy). The chimney breasts are
around 30 ft tall.
I have a reasonable amount of diy expereince but understand little
about how buildings actually work and would really appreciate some
advice from someone better qualified than me (which is pretty much
anyone actually).

A chimney needs venting top and bottom, so there's a through-draft.

Hang on Andrew. I accept this is standard text book advice, but I've never
actually been able to understand the thinking behind it. What's likely to
happen if you block up a flue top and bottom? Condensation? To my mind it
just creates a sealed cavity, probably like the rest of the wall, and
condensation in cavities doesn't cause problems. Perhaps that's because the
cold surface is on the outside skin.

I'd feel happier with your advice if the ventilating air was cold, with low
RH. But, to my mind, allowing warm humid air from inside a room to travel
up a cold flue, depositing its vapour on the way, is likely to make the
problem worse. And if the flue is an internal one, with warm brickwork all
round, it's unlikely that much condensation will form anyway, and
ventilating it is just a way of losing heat.

It is not normally necessary to cap off a chimney (although it
might slightly extend the life of the exposed outdoor part). Keeping
it vented at the top is much more important than capping off certainly.
If the chimney is on an outside wall, I would suggest venting the
bottom to the outside rather than the room, so it doesn't draw heat
from the room. Ideally, the vents shouldn't be closable because
someone might close them ;-)

Agreed. It could be added that the chimey pot should be capped with a
ventilating insert to prevent rain and birds coming down the flue.

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nonymouse" writes:
[...]

But cavities are not sealed; at least not the older type built with fire
places and chimney breasts.
They are open at the bottom were the air-brick is in the outer brick leaf
and also at the top in the loft.
Also the hearth, and the external chimney breast were it exits the roof
often have no DPC, or even if it does they are often bridged by tar and soot
deposits.
So sealing a chimney breast top and bottom is IMHO a bad idea.

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Many thanks for your input but I have a further dilemma.

My house was built circa 1901 and has two chimney breasts. Presumably,
each would have originally had an open fire on the ground level and a
further one on the first floor (one of which on the ground floor is
still in operation). In the attic, these two breasts meet from either
side of the house before exiting through the roof.

The fireplace which is still in use exits through one of the four
chimney pots.

Having read all of the suggestions, I had decided to place one air
brick (well, technically not an airbrick but a bunch of holes drilled
through the brick with a vent in front) in the bricked up chimney
breast on the ground floor. A second air brick would be placed directly
above it in the attic.

....and now my problem:

how can I tell whether there is simply one cavity in the chimney breast
between the ground floor, first floor and attic meaning placement of
the vents is not critical; or two separate cavities meaning that the
attic air brick may simply ventilate the first floor flue but not the
ground floor?

I have trawled the Internet for this information but have not been able
to answer my own question...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

nonymouse wrote:

[...]

IIUC youve got 4 fireplace and 4 chimney pots, so you'll have 4 flues,
and need a vent on each floor. Venting to exterior rather than interior
will reduce heat loss.

NT