Posted to uk.d-i-y
RzB RzB is offline

Default Hot Air Guns / Plastic Welding

I have been looking around at various heat guns and I came
across Plastic Welding Rods Ldpe and Hdpe and Pvc.

http://tinyurl.com/grqkm

This is a world I'm not at all familiar with. What sort of
applications are these used for?

Also has anyone a view on the Steinel hot air guns?
I have not heard of them before...

Thanks,
Roy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RzB" wrote in message
I have been looking around at various heat guns and I came
across Plastic Welding Rods Ldpe and Hdpe and Pvc.

http://tinyurl.com/grqkm

This is a world I'm not at all familiar with. What sort of
applications are these used for?

Also has anyone a view on the Steinel hot air guns?
I have not heard of them before...

Thanks,
Roy

Some years back I had a large industrial area covered in a very heavy
vinyl lino stuff, and they joined the sheets by cutting out a 'U'
shape with a sharp tool and plastic welded the join using a special
hot air tool (Lester TRIAC iirc), then they trimmed off the flash to
leave a seemless join. It lasted 15 years until we vacated the
premises.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , RzB
writes
Also has anyone a view on the Steinel hot air guns?
I have not heard of them before...

Not used them for plastic welding (they were/are sold in bumper repair
kits) but I used to use two or three different ones for removing surface
mount chips from motherboards, they were excellent with good control
over the temperature and very repeatable results were easy to obtain.
They're also good for lighting barbecues according to a colleague.

Thanks,
Roy

--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y
RzB RzB is offline

Andrew/Clint,

Thanks for your interesting responses.

I ordered a Steinel Hg2310 today,
Hopefully it will the bees knees!

I'm still intrigued at the sort of things people
(particularly professionals) are using them for...

Roy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "RzB"
saying something like:

I ordered a Steinel Hg2310 today,
Hopefully it will the bees knees!

I'm still intrigued at the sort of things people
(particularly professionals) are using them for...

There's a healthy market for plastic repairs of car bumpers and bike
fairings. Given the cost of new ones, it's not surprising.
--

Dave