Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to fix a loose brick?

This may sound a rather silly question but still....

I have built a little structure to enclose a pond filter, pumps etc.
It's of straightforward brick and cement construction.

One of the top corner bricks has come loose (as a result of using an
SDS drill). Is there any glue or similar that I can use to fix it
back in place? I know I could chip the cement away and re-cement it
but that seems a bit laborious and there is also the risk of loosening
adjacent bricks. It's such a perfect fit in its place that it seems
like some sort of fairly weak glue would do a reasonable job.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Sep 2006 05:27:42 -0700, Staffbull wrote:

Yep, I'd go for gripfill (normal green tube) used it to stick back some
copings I knocked off the garden wall with a mini digger while digging
some foundations.

It doesn't work reliably, Gripfill does not adhere well in the presence of
moisture and it doesn't work well in the presence of dust or loose
surfaces. In short both Gripfill and silicone have the same limitations as
mortar and in the case of Gripfill one further drawback, the need to be
used on dry construction.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
On 25 Sep 2006 05:27:42 -0700, Staffbull wrote:

Yep, I'd go for gripfill (normal green tube) used it to stick back some
copings I knocked off the garden wall with a mini digger while digging
some foundations.

It doesn't work reliably, Gripfill does not adhere well in the presence of
moisture and it doesn't work well in the presence of dust or loose
surfaces. In short both Gripfill and silicone have the same limitations as
mortar and in the case of Gripfill one further drawback, the need to be
used on dry construction.

None of these things will take where there's a layer of dust, but it's
usually pretty easy to work the dust in when you apply it. Body filler
would be my choice as it has a density more akin to mortar when it sets
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:
On 25 Sep 2006 05:27:42 -0700, Staffbull wrote:

Yep, I'd go for gripfill (normal green tube) used it to stick back some
copings I knocked off the garden wall with a mini digger while digging
some foundations.

It doesn't work reliably, Gripfill does not adhere well in the presence of
moisture and it doesn't work well in the presence of dust or loose
surfaces. In short both Gripfill and silicone have the same limitations as
mortar and in the case of Gripfill one further drawback, the need to be
used on dry construction.

None of these things will take where there's a layer of dust, but it's
usually pretty easy to work the dust in when you apply it. Body filler
would be my choice as it has a density more akin to mortar when it sets

Thanks for *all* the replies, very useful. I'll be trying one or more
in a few days time.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 16:13:35 GMT, "Phil L"

This may sound a rather silly question but still....

I have built a little structure to enclose a pond filter, pumps etc.
It's of straightforward brick and cement construction.

One of the top corner bricks has come loose (as a result of using an
SDS drill). Is there any glue or similar that I can use to fix it
back in place? I know I could chip the cement away and re-cement it
but that seems a bit laborious and there is also the risk of loosening
adjacent bricks. It's such a perfect fit in its place that it seems
like some sort of fairly weak glue would do a reasonable job.

Use builders PVA, unibond or similar, apply neat to both (dust free)
surfaces and put the brick in place, wipe off any excess glue with a damp
rag, it'll never move again.

I knew someone would say to use PVA. Well I wouldnt use PVA for
bricklaying.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
marvelus wrote:
[...]

I PVA'd the corner of a coping stone back on after I'd hit it with a
wheelbarrow, I didn't expect it to work but it still there now, despite
being on a corner and getting more wear and tear than other masonry in the
wall.
This was in 1983 BTW

Yup. Funny stuff is PBVA. I had some scree laid pretty badly, and a
join between tow days cracked, and sounded 'hollow' on one section..and
moved under pressure.

I poured half a gallon of PVA into the crack, and a week later it was as
solid as a rock.