Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Painting mini-trunking

Next week sees me reaching one of the those 'significant' birthdays and
to celebrate the wife is buying me a home cinema system. I'm sure I
don't need to tell everyone that floorstanding speakers are not
compatible with wives and small children so we have decided to buy the
little Kef egg speakers and wall mount them. Chasing speaker cable
into the walls is not an option so I'm hoping to put mini-trunking up
the walls (or under the coving) and paint it to match the walls. Has
anyone ever done this and do you need to prime the trunking before
painting it?

many thanks,
Paul.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
"Paul" writes:
Next week sees me reaching one of the those 'significant' birthdays and
to celebrate the wife is buying me a home cinema system. I'm sure I
don't need to tell everyone that floorstanding speakers are not
compatible with wives and small children so we have decided to buy the
little Kef egg speakers and wall mount them. Chasing speaker cable
into the walls is not an option so I'm hoping to put mini-trunking up
the walls (or under the coving) and paint it to match the walls. Has
anyone ever done this and do you need to prime the trunking before
painting it?

If you are using gloss paint, use top coat directly with no undercoat,
and avoid the water based ones. The solvent slightly dissolves the
plastic surface and forms an excellent bond. Just don't ask how to
get it off, because you can't...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul wrote:

the walls (or under the coving) and paint it to match the walls. Has
anyone ever done this and do you need to prime the trunking before
painting it?

Yup, it emulsions well enough. I find if you give it a light coating
with a small roller and let they dry for 20 mins or so, you can then
overpaint it nicely.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
Paul wrote:
Chasing speaker cable
into the walls is not an option so I'm hoping to put mini-trunking up
the walls (or under the coving) and paint it to match the walls. Has
anyone ever done this and do you need to prime the trunking before
painting it?

PVC takes oil paint well without any primer.

--
*If horrific means to make horrible, does terrific mean to make terrible?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Has anyone ever done this and do you need to prime the trunking before
painting it?

I find it paints pretty well with any paint at all, solvent or water based
vinyl or acrylic.

I normally coat in an acrylic undercoat first and then my choice of top
coat, which is usually a vinyl emulsion simply because you want it to match
the wall.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul wrote:

[...] and do you need to prime the trunking before painting it?

For gloss the recommended procedure (according to Dulux) is to apply two
coats, with the first coat thinned by about 20%.

The D-line mini-trunking from TLC might be of interest to you:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...dex/index.html

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Wade wrote:
Paul wrote:

[...] and do you need to prime the trunking before painting it?

For gloss the recommended procedure (according to Dulux) is to apply two
coats, with the first coat thinned by about 20%.

The D-line mini-trunking from TLC might be of interest to you:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...dex/index.html

--
Andy

Wow, that's a pretty good price for the clearance stuff, thanks for the
tip! And this stuff paints ok?
I've got to run cables from the amp which is on one side of the room,
to the rear speakers on the other side of the room. We've got wooden
floors so no carpets to hide cables under so I was thinking of running
the trunking on top of the skirting board or under the cornicing. Does
it blend in quite well or does it just look crap?

Paul.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
Paul wrote:
We've got wooden floors so no carpets to hide cables under so I was
thinking of running the trunking on top of the skirting board or under
the cornicing. Does it blend in quite well or does it just look crap?

It'll look like what it is, I'm afraid.

--
*Pentium wise, pen and paper foolish *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-25 22:37:20 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
said:

In article .com,
Paul wrote:
We've got wooden floors so no carpets to hide cables under so I was
thinking of running the trunking on top of the skirting board or under
the cornicing. Does it blend in quite well or does it just look crap?

It'll look like what it is, I'm afraid.

One option is to remove the skirting and route a groove in the back to
hide the cables. This is OK from the safety perspective as long as
they are not mains.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-25 22:37:20 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
said:

In article .com,
Paul wrote:
We've got wooden floors so no carpets to hide cables under so I was
thinking of running the trunking on top of the skirting board or under
the cornicing. Does it blend in quite well or does it just look crap?

It'll look like what it is, I'm afraid.

One option is to remove the skirting and route a groove in the back to
hide the cables. This is OK from the safety perspective as long as
they are not mains.

Unfortunately, that's not an option either - going clockwise around the
room from the amp I've got a fireplace to negotiate. Going
anti-clockwise - which is a long, long way - I've got a door to
negotiate. And it's an unusual size skirt (9") so if I damage it I
might have trouble getting new ones.

Paul.

Painting - Estimate For Applying Kilz Gideon Home Repair 13 June 8th 07 04:05 PM
Self Adhesive Mini Trunking - UK diy 9 April 27th 06 07:25 PM
Trunking for cat5e David Hearn UK diy 7 January 11th 05 07:14 PM
Mini Max and an AMAZING story of customer service Tbone Dano Woodworking 11 May 22nd 04 08:03 PM