Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default outside pipe

i have recently down a kitchen extenion ,
i have had the sink pumbed in,

outside where the waste pipe comes out of the wall we have a drain and
a pipe which has to
burried '
the man hole is about 8 feet away so there is no problem there '
can anyone tell me the best way to drill a hole into the side of the
main drain without cracking it , and can you hire the drill ? jane
thanks for advice on power shower

Posted to uk.d-i-y

diy jane wrote:

i have recently down a kitchen extenion ,
i have had the sink pumbed in,

outside where the waste pipe comes out of the wall we have a drain and
a pipe which has to
burried '
the man hole is about 8 feet away so there is no problem there '
can anyone tell me the best way to drill a hole into the side of the
main drain without cracking it , and can you hire the drill ? jane
thanks for advice on power shower

None too clear... you want a hole in the underground drainage pipe or
the manhole side? A grit holesaw in a drill would make a nice round
hole in the manhole bricks/concrete, or an sds would make a rougher
hole you can cement round. Or if youre trying to tie it into the pipe
alone I'd build an inspection chamber, but I dont think thats what you
mean

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Sep 2006 10:56:45 -0700, a particular chimpanzee named "diy
jane" randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

i have recently down a kitchen extenion ,
i have had the sink pumbed in,

can anyone tell me the best way to drill a hole into the side of the
main drain without cracking it , and can you hire the drill ?

I'm not clear from your description exactly what you're proposing, but
your sink _should_ be drained into a trapped gully. This must be then
connected via 100mm diameter pipe to a T or Y connection on the
existing drain if the gully is roddable, or directly to an inspection
chamber if not. If it discharges into an inspection chamber, then it
should discharge at half-channel level.

There should be no 'drilling' holes into the side of drains. You may
have to saw away sections of the drain to install T or Y branches, or
break away part of the walls and benching of the inspection chamber.

Have a word with your Building Control Surveyor, who will need to
inspect the drain before it's backfilled anyway.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Sep 2006 10:56:45 -0700 someone who may be "diy jane"
wrote this:-

i have recently down a kitchen extenion ,
i have had the sink pumbed in,

outside where the waste pipe comes out of the wall we have a drain

The pipe from the sink should go into the drain, assuming that it is
not just for rainwater but is connected to the sewers. The pipe
should go under the grid but above the level of the water.

If you are lucky enough to have a back inlet gully then the pipe can
be cemented into that.

and a pipe which has to burried '

What pipe is this? What is it for and where is it to be connected
between?

the man hole is about 8 feet away so there is no problem there '
can anyone tell me the best way to drill a hole into the side of the
main drain without cracking it , and can you hire the drill ?

The way to connect an underground drain pipe to an existing
underground drain is to dig down and build an inspection chamber.
This can be a traditional brick one, or there are plastic versions
available from the usual suppliers. It sounds like you have an
existing earthenware drain, in which case I would probably build a
traditional inspection chamber and run the new drain into that.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugo Nebula wrote:
[...]

,yes the sink is drained into a trapped gully and connected to a 100mm pipe which at the moment is running across the garden , and the lid off the inspection chamber is open with the pipe going into it , with a blanket and bricks over it to stop smells coming out , i need to know how you go about installing the pipe into the inspection chamber , i hope this is clearer thankyou jane

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-24 13:40:13 +0100, "diy jane" said:

NT sorry not too good at this we have a manhole in our back garden , we
need to somehow make a hole in the side so our new kitchen waste pipe
flows into the drain , not too sure what a inspection chamber is
thankyoujane

If this is a plastic type of chamber, there is normally a base
component with entries for multiple soil pipes. Take off the lid and
have a look.

If this is the case, then the procedure would be to excavate out around
the outside of the chamber and to remove the cut out by drilling and
sawing. They are designed for reasonably easy removal.

The new underground drain from the kitchen waste gully will connect to
that point.

If this is a brick or other masonry chamber, it would probably be
advisable to employ a professional to do the work.

In either event, it is necessary to engage Building Control at your
local authority in the exercise.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

diy jane wrote:

,yes the sink is drained into a trapped gully and connected to a 100mm pipe which at the moment is running across the garden , and the lid off the inspection chamber is open with the pipe going into it , with a blanket and bricks over it to stop smells coming out , i need to know how you go about installing the pipe into the inspection chamber , i hope this is clearer thankyou jane

What we need to know is whether this inspection chamber is small
plastic or large brick/crete with iron cover. Either way, you do go in
the side of the main body of it, but how depends on what youve got.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Sep 2006 05:46:51 -0700 someone who may be "diy jane"
wrote this:-

yes the sink is drained into a trapped gully and connected to a 100mm pipe which at the moment is running
across the garden , and the lid off the inspection chamber is open with the pipe going into it , with a
blanket and bricks over it to stop smells coming out , i need to know how you go about installing the
pipe into the inspection chamber

A book on drains from the library would be a good starting point for
your researches. This will have drawings/photographs of what is
involved and how such things are built.

You will probably need to test any new underground connection to a
drain after the work is finished. Building control staff are
generally a very good source of advice on drains.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

yes the sink is drained into a trapped gully and connected to a 100mm pipe which at the moment is running
across the garden , and the lid off the inspection chamber is open with the pipe going into it , with a
blanket and bricks over it to stop smells coming out , i need to know how you go about installing the
pipe into the inspection chamber

A book on drains from the library would be a good starting point for
your researches. This will have drawings/photographs of what is
involved and how such things are built.

You will probably need to test any new underground connection to a
drain after the work is finished. Building control staff are
generally a very good source of advice on drains.

thankyou i will pay a visit to the library and local council jane
--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Sep 2006 14:10:14 -0700 someone who may be "diy jane"
wrote this:-

hi there it is a large concerete one with a iron cover ' it only has one
chamber coming from the next door neighbour , and one chamber going
to the main road drain ,

One pipe hopefully. Presumably your drains join to the outlet pipe
nearer the road.

so could i put my new pipe work in the over side ? jane

If you connect there then it sounds like you are making it a common
drain between this chamber and where your drains currently join. You
will need to agree this with your neighbour.

I would be inclined to do this work in the traditional way to match
the existing drains, with the bottom of the new drain at the middle
of the existing drain and modifying the benching in the chamber.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

[...]