Posted to uk.d-i-y
AMO AMO is offline

Default Laminate flooring: Jigsaw or Circular Saw?

Originally I got myself a jigsaw to cut my laminate for my house. However,
I see some contractors use circular saws. The laminate guides I see
recommend never mention circular saws either.

I assume with a circular saw you have better control of cutting laminate in
a straight line over a jigsaw maybe? Or maybe the cutting is in one
direction so you don't damage the top layer of the board?

Are there good reasons for using one?

Thanx

AMO

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Both saws have their role. For fast, smooth cutting a circular saw is
vastly superior to a jigsaw. But a jigsaw will do curves and odd shaped
cutouts around pipes etc. A circular saw is a scarier tool to use until
you build up some experience with it, whilst a jigsaw is safer and more
forgiving.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AMO wrote:
Originally I got myself a jigsaw to cut my laminate for my house.
However, I see some contractors use circular saws. The laminate
guides I see recommend never mention circular saws either.

I assume with a circular saw you have better control of cutting
laminate in a straight line over a jigsaw maybe? Or maybe the
cutting is in one direction so you don't damage the top layer of the
board?

Are there good reasons for using one?

Thanx

AMO

A circular saw does the cutting in half the time a jig will do.
Problem is you need a 60 to 80 toothed blade on circular to give a fine
cut.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AMO wrote:
Originally I got myself a jigsaw to cut my laminate for my house. However,
I see some contractors use circular saws. The laminate guides I see
recommend never mention circular saws either.

I assume with a circular saw you have better control of cutting laminate in
a straight line over a jigsaw maybe? Or maybe the cutting is in one
direction so you don't damage the top layer of the board?

Are there good reasons for using one?

Thanx

AMO

I'd say a sawbench and a jigsaw would be a good combination for
laminate. Hand held circ saws need both hands so you need to fix the
laminate to something to stop it sliding about. A bit of a fiddle to set
up unless you've got a lot of straight cutting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AMO wrote:
Originally I got myself a jigsaw to cut my laminate for my house. However,
I see some contractors use circular saws. The laminate guides I see
recommend never mention circular saws either.

I assume with a circular saw you have better control of cutting laminate in
a straight line over a jigsaw maybe? Or maybe the cutting is in one
direction so you don't damage the top layer of the board?

Are there good reasons for using one?

Thanx

AMO

You could do it with a jigsaw if youre very patient, but youre unlikely
to get decent straight edges, and you may die of boredom.

A circular is vastly superior in every way. I'd suggest using a
sawboard with it where you need a precise cut position. Also always put
the lam upside down when cutting with a circ, as its the top surface
that gets ripped up by circ saws. For perfect cuts with a cheap circ
blade, just put the lam on a scrap of hardboard and cut through both as
if they were one piece, and dont rush the thing. No need to buy a high
price blade that way

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "AMO" contains these words:

Are there good reasons for using one?

Yes, they're faster and cut straight lines better. Personally I'd stick
it in the chop-saw.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
AMO AMO is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
Both saws have their role. For fast, smooth cutting a circular saw is
vastly superior to a jigsaw. But a jigsaw will do curves and odd shaped
cutouts around pipes etc. A circular saw is a scarier tool to use until
you build up some experience with it, whilst a jigsaw is safer and more
forgiving.

Thanx Dom and all else who replied.

I've got a jigsaw, but a mate of mine also gave me a circular saw, so I'll
probably end up trying both.

AMO

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "AMO" contains these words:

I've got a jigsaw, but a mate of mine also gave me a circular saw, so I'll
probably end up trying both.

Practice on a bit of scrap, but you may find less chance of lifting the
top decorative layer if the workpiece is face down.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
AMO wrote:

I assume with a circular saw you have better control of cutting laminate in
a straight line over a jigsaw maybe? Or maybe the cutting is in one
direction so you don't damage the top layer of the board?

I recently laid one laminate floor using a jigsaw and another with a
circular saw.

The jigsaw produced slightly smoother cuts, but most of them will be
concealed anyway.

The circular saw was *much* quicker to use, and cut straighter. It made
the whole job much less tedious. I'd certainly recommend it.

Of course, unless you have one of those perfectly rectangular rooms
they show in the IKEA instructions - rather than, say, a victorian
flat with window bays, fireplaces, recesses and no 90-degree angles at
all - you're going to need something other than a circular saw for the
fiddly bits.

-- Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AMO wrote:
Originally I got myself a jigsaw to cut my laminate for my house. However,
I see some contractors use circular saws. The laminate
guides I see recommend never mention circular saws either.

I assume with a circular saw you have better control of cutting
laminate in a straight line over a jigsaw maybe? Or maybe the
cutting is in one direction so you don't damage the top layer of the
board?
Are there good reasons for using one?

Thanx

AMO

Use a hand saw. If you get a good quality one you'll zip through it in no
time and you wont need to worry about wires getting in the way

Chris

--

http://tinyurl.com/hhlr

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
AMO wrote:
Originally I got myself a jigsaw to cut my laminate for my house.
However, I see some contractors use circular saws. The laminate
guides I see recommend never mention circular saws either.

I assume with a circular saw you have better control of cutting
laminate in a straight line over a jigsaw maybe? Or maybe the
cutting is in one direction so you don't damage the top layer of the
board?

Are there good reasons for using one?

Thanx

AMO

A circular saw does the cutting in half the time a jig will do.
Problem is you need a 60 to 80 toothed blade on circular to give a fine
cut.

If you do the job properly, cut edges will be almost always hidden
under the skirting so any old blade will do most of the time.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:

I'd say a sawbench and a jigsaw would be a good combination for
laminate. Hand held circ saws need both hands so you need to fix the
laminate to something to stop it sliding about. A bit of a fiddle to set
up unless you've got a lot of straight cutting.

....or you've got a smaller cordless circular saw which can easily be
used one handed.

Laminate will blunt blades very quickly.