Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Can you understand this rendering?

A year ago we bought a house that was rendered two years ago. Last Spring,
about 3 sq metres of the rendering on the main south-facing wall began to
peel off.
Investigating it today I find that there appears to be three layers of
rendering:
- bottom layer of unknown thickness which has been scored
- middle layer which is about 10mm thick and is very powdery and is the bit
that is failing
- top layer which is hard and only about 2mm thick and comes away in sheets
- smooth paint on top of this

Does this sound right?

Since the middle layer is failing in patches is it reasonable to assume that
I can hack back to the bottom layer in the failing patches and then just
apply a patch render over this?

many thanks in advance, Davy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Davy" wrote in message
om...
[...]

IANAE but rendering is done in two stages, bottom coat and top coat. The
bottom coat is a stronger mix than the top coat I think. 10mm sounds about
right, I would think 2mm was a very thin topcoat, difficult to apply unless
it was very smooth in composition.
The second coat is presumably failing due to either a poor mix/materials or
it was applied in a way that didn't allow it to adhere ( poorly applied or
perhaps too dry ). I expect more expert opinions will follow.
I think your plan sounds OK, though who knows whether more will fail.
Careful pulling the blown stuff off, it can weaken the stuff around it.
Chopping at it with a bolster chisel might be better. Check for soundness by
tapping at the render with the end of a trowel or even your knuckle. Remove
anything that's blown. Use a topcoat render mix.

Andy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davy wrote:
A year ago we bought a house that was rendered two years ago. Last Spring,
about 3 sq metres of the rendering on the main south-facing wall began to
peel off.
Investigating it today I find that there appears to be three layers of
rendering:
- bottom layer of unknown thickness which has been scored
- middle layer which is about 10mm thick and is very powdery and is the bit
that is failing
- top layer which is hard and only about 2mm thick and comes away in sheets
- smooth paint on top of this

Does this sound right?

Since the middle layer is failing in patches is it reasonable to assume that
I can hack back to the bottom layer in the failing patches and then just
apply a patch render over this?

many thanks in advance, Davy

Could be one of those "never paint your house again" treatments gone
wrong. The middle layer is usually some kind of powder which appears to
do nothing other than provide a good environment for ants.

Rendering [email protected] UK diy 1 September 8th 06 02:29 PM
Rendering a bungalow (ingredients) Justin Time UK diy 3 September 7th 06 10:54 PM
Fine Exterior Filler for concrete rendering davy UK diy 2 June 23rd 06 04:33 PM
Rendering on front wall of house - repair or remove? Jason UK diy 5 March 13th 06 03:40 AM
Rendering. how to repair / what type of mix [email protected] UK diy 4 April 7th 05 05:17 PM