Posted to uk.d-i-y
davy

Default Fine Exterior Filler for concrete rendering

All,

After scraping some loose paint from some rendering there is a
noticeable change in surface texture of the concrete render where it
does not have any old paint on the surface. The majority of the old
paint surface ie 95% sound and does not need to be removed. I somehow
need to build back up the surface where the old paint has been scrapped
back to concrete so that the final paint coat looks uniform over the
old piant and the newly exposed surface.

What kind of filler can I use that won't crack because it will be
applied very thinly? Normal exterior white filler seems very soft.

thanks for any help

Davy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

davy wrote:
All,

After scraping some loose paint from some rendering there is a
noticeable change in surface texture of the concrete render where it
does not have any old paint on the surface. The majority of the old
paint surface ie 95% sound and does not need to be removed. I somehow
need to build back up the surface where the old paint has been scrapped
back to concrete so that the final paint coat looks uniform over the
old piant and the newly exposed surface.

What kind of filler can I use that won't crack because it will be
applied very thinly? Normal exterior white filler seems very soft.

thanks for any help

Davy

You MIGHT have a look at some 2 part epoxy 'mortar' - I got some to fill
a place where some render had fallen off, and it has a perfect grainy
surface texture to match sharp-sand render. Dries rock hard and seems to
stick like **** to a shovel..Cheap it ain't tho...
Posted to uk.d-i-y
davy

Thanks, but I think I've not explained my problem clearly.

The rendor wall has old sound paint on most of its surface while the
the area that is void of paint is just bare rendor. The step change in
height between old painted surface in conjunction with the different
surface textures makes the final paint finish look poor.

I'd hoped that by filling in the void that used to contain paint that
the step height change in the paint surface would then be hidden. Of
course I could paint the missing areas until the thickness is matched
but this somehow doesn't seem right.

davy

wrote:
davy wrote:
All,

After scraping some loose paint from some rendering there is a
noticeable change in surface texture of the concrete render where it
does not have any old paint on the surface. The majority of the old
paint surface ie 95% sound and does not need to be removed. I somehow
need to build back up the surface where the old paint has been scrapped
back to concrete so that the final paint coat looks uniform over the
old piant and the newly exposed surface.

What kind of filler can I use that won't crack because it will be
applied very thinly? Normal exterior white filler seems very soft.

thanks for any help

Davy

presumably the old paint contains sand or other aggregate. If so, sand
plus glue is whats needed. Exterior building glue should do that, with
suitably sized sand, or other grainy stuff.

NT