Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Drilling Porcelain tiles

Hi,

I need to fix some bathroom accessories so have to drill into the
porcelain tiles. I've purchased a diamond tipped drill for the job.
Does anybody have any tips on how to go about this, especially how to
stop the drill slipping?

Many thanks,
Darren.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Hi,

I need to fix some bathroom accessories so have to drill into the
porcelain tiles. I've purchased a diamond tipped drill for the job.
Does anybody have any tips on how to go about this, especially how to
stop the drill slipping?

Poor sod. I just had to do 20 6mm holes in porcelain tiles. Takes
bloody ages. Was using good quality tile drill and a squirty spray of
cold water to keep the drill from overheating. Cheaper than a biog
water cooled kit. Took c. 30 mins for the first hole. Got it down to
about 15 minutes by the end. Mind you, the first ones were in the
window recess for a blind.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 14:46:19 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

wrote:
Hi,

I need to fix some bathroom accessories so have to drill into the
porcelain tiles. I've purchased a diamond tipped drill for the job.
Does anybody have any tips on how to go about this, especially how to
stop the drill slipping?

Many thanks,
Darren.

I used a 6mm core drill with diamonds..that worked very well.

Stopping it slipping was a question of digging one edge in first..once
going it stayed put.

Water is needed, but cutting speed was fairly good - but it clogged a lot.

If your drill has a central locating pip of some sort, the classic
method is to use e.g. a diamond or hard steel scribe to scribe a cross
in the glaze.

If its a cure drill you will juts have to accept a little innacuracy and
let teh plastic plugs take care of it.

..

Making sure the plastic plug goes beyond the tile otherwise it will crack it .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I need to fix some bathroom accessories so have to drill into the
porcelain tiles. I've purchased a diamond tipped drill for the job.
Does anybody have any tips on how to go about this, especially how to
stop the drill slipping?

See glass and tile sections:

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/drillfaq.htm

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Er no. In my case the strength is entirely in the tile. There is only
plasterboard and a void behind.

I have only ever cracked one tile - too large a screw and too small a
plug right at the edge of a tile.

If the screw simply does not want to go in, thats a bad sign, but mostly
they go in easily until right at the end was the plug compresses up
inside the hole. Its up to you how tight you tighten it..I gues 30-50lb
feet is my am. I,e. I put some effort on, but not ALL I could put in,
and don't use an electric driver.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I need to fix some bathroom accessories so have to drill into the
porcelain tiles. I've purchased a diamond tipped drill for the job.
Does anybody have any tips on how to go about this, especially how to
stop the drill slipping?

Many thanks,
Darren.

You don't have to drill at all.

Stick the accessories on with PinkGrip. http://tinyurl.com/hlmte

Yes it seems like a "cowboy" technique but has saved me a lot of grief.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Was there no way you could have ( or can still) get access to place a piece of
timber behind to take the screw... I have just built a false wall to take a
shower on one side and a mirror and W/H basin etc on the other and I made sure
that there were battens placed at appropriate points to accept screws for mug
holder,soap dish etc etc .

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I need to fix some bathroom accessories so have to drill into the
porcelain tiles. I've purchased a diamond tipped drill for the job.
Does anybody have any tips on how to go about this, especially how to
stop the drill slipping?

Never drilled porcelain, but stopping the drill slipping on normal tiles is
easy, never mind the tape thing. I've been using these Bosch multipurpose
drill bits for a while

Because the point is quite sharp & very hard you can position it on a tile
and simply push - the point breaks the surface of the tile and the bit then
cant wander about. They are also great for fixing battens with hammer
fixings, they drill wood really well.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Ah, you must be a bachelor.

Wherever you put the battens will be THE place that they SIMPLY CANNOT GO.

I had this argument "can you put up a curtain pole?" "yes, it will take
me two days" "Don;t be silly" "Ok then watch"...as I removed a section
of plasterboard, screwed in a MDF plate, replaced teh board, scired a V,
but filler in, sanded it all flush, and repainted it. "Isn't that pole
up YET?"..."Its not getting the pole up dear, its making sure it doesn't
come down later"

Stuart

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 11:09:58 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Ah, you must be a bachelor.

Got it in 1 ..lol..I do as I tell myself to .

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-19 11:09:58 +0100, The Natural Philosopher said:

Ah, you must be a bachelor.

Wherever you put the battens will be THE place that they SIMPLY CANNOT GO.

I had this argument "can you put up a curtain pole?" "yes, it will take
me two days" "Don;t be silly" "Ok then watch"...as I removed a section
of plasterboard, screwed in a MDF plate, replaced teh board, scired a
V, but filler in, sanded it all flush, and repainted it. "Isn't that
pole up YET?"..."Its not getting the pole up dear, its making sure it
doesn't come down later"

There are tablets for that....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I need to fix some bathroom accessories so have to drill into the
porcelain tiles. I've purchased a diamond tipped drill for the job.
Does anybody have any tips on how to go about this, especially how to
stop the drill slipping?

Never had an issue. Mark on tiles location of holes using marker pen, then
gently tap/dig using a centre punch to break through the glaze at locations
where holes are needed. Then just drill slowly and carefully using a
masonary bit. If a large hole drill, say 4mm pilot first.

Drilling Porcelain Tiles Hamie UK diy 9 November 6th 05 10:42 PM
Porcelain Tiles from China? [email protected] UK diy 6 October 25th 05 05:44 PM
Drilling floor tiles TonyK UK diy 5 January 28th 05 11:22 PM
drilling porcelain Tiles Lawrence Zarb UK diy 5 July 30th 04 02:05 PM
Drilling and cutting porcelain tiles? Rafal UK diy 9 November 6th 03 11:14 AM