Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Oil Tank indicator question

Hi,

I have a big green outside oil tank (Home heating etc).

There is a clear thin tube on the outside, with a small floating ball in
which is supposed to be indicative of the amount of oil left in the tank. At
the bottom of the small tube is a button you press to sync the tube with the
tank.

It no longer works and I have no idea how much oil I have without looking in
the tank.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem OR is there another method to help
me?

Thanks

Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pedross wrote:

I have a big green outside oil tank (Home heating etc).

There is a clear thin tube on the outside, with a small floating ball in
which is supposed to be indicative of the amount of oil left in the tank. At
the bottom of the small tube is a button you press to sync the tube with the
tank.

It no longer works and I have no idea how much oil I have without looking in
the tank.

Are you and the tank new to each other? I have what sounds like a
similar set-up. but on mine, the little button is pulled, not pressed.
It can take a few moments, especially if the tank has gone quite low,
but it does work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pedross" wrote in message
news
Hi,

I have a big green outside oil tank (Home heating etc).

There is a clear thin tube on the outside, with a small floating ball in
which is supposed to be indicative of the amount of oil left in the tank.
At the bottom of the small tube is a button you press to sync the tube
with the tank.

It no longer works and I have no idea how much oil I have without looking
in the tank.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem OR is there another method to
help me?

Thanks

Paul

You say it no longer works? How do you know (sorry to ask such a simple
question). For example is there oil in the tank or has it run out. Ther is
little to go on to diagnose why it has failed. You could remove and clean
the tube if there is a blockage and that gives you an opportunity to see if
pressing the button release oil.

These guages are a potential source of leakage from the platsic tubes
degrading or coming off so some form of in-tank system is often better so
long as the old gauge is removed. For example see
http://www.caldo.co.uk/tank_monitoring.htm.

One way that often gives away the oil level is to go out in the morning
after a heavy dew fall. The oil level is often visible in the dew on the oil
tank. May not be practical as an alternative at all times.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"hzatph" wrote in message

"Pedross" wrote in message
[...]

When I press the button it no longer moves. have added a full tank and it
still shows half (Which it did when nearly empty)

Thanks

These guages are a potential source of leakage from the platsic tubes
degrading or coming off so some form of in-tank system is often better so
long as the old gauge is removed. For example see
http://www.caldo.co.uk/tank_monitoring.htm.

One way that often gives away the oil level is to go out in the morning
after a heavy dew fall. The oil level is often visible in the dew on the
oil tank. May not be practical as an alternative at all times.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pedross" wrote in message
news
Hi,

I have a big green outside oil tank (Home heating etc).

There is a clear thin tube on the outside, with a small floating ball in
which is supposed to be indicative of the amount of oil left in the tank. At
the bottom of the small tube is a button you press to sync the tube with the
tank.

It no longer works and I have no idea how much oil I have without looking in
the tank.

I use a piece of copper piping to dip my tank, I then use a tape measure to read
the depth.

Buying a new guage is quite easy. The problem is that the tank really needs to
be empty when you fit it.

See

http://www.bes.ltd.uk/nav_graf/frame...oducts/139.asp

--

Michael Chare

Cylindrical Water Heater Construction Questions Robert11 Home Repair 5 November 18th 05 10:37 PM
DIY Heat Bank/Thermal Store system? (longish) Gordon Henderson UK diy 4 January 26th 05 07:32 AM
Leak in hot water tank Johnny UK diy 9 April 9th 04 07:28 PM
LP tank valve removal UPDATE Serial # 19781010 Metalworking 99 December 5th 03 03:14 PM
Home water tank water tank pressure not right, do I need a new tank? Gary Slusser Home Repair 2 August 11th 03 04:45 AM