Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default uPVC window jammed locked

One of my UPVC windows is stuck fast. The handle can be turned
anti-clockwise to release the fastening mechanism on the right side of
the window, but the left side remains locked. It is a top hanging
window, and the lock is at the bottom.

I removed the handle by unscrewing the 2 screws at either side of it
and slid out the spindle mechanism. The handle mechanism operates OK. I
suspect the left bolt that is actionned by the spindle and locks the
left side doesn't move when the handle is turned.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

deglaze the window first,open the window mechanism, wedge open the right
side as far as it will go,then crow bar the left until it gives.

Alex.

it may work without damage ,it has worked ok on the last five windows I
have had to open.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 01:49:58 +0100, Alex wrote:

deglaze the window first,open the window mechanism, wedge open the
right side as far as it will go,then crow bar the left until it gives.

Thats fine assuming the peg or pin that locks the window shut on the LHS
is actually moving when the mechanisium is operated. It might be tricky
checking that the rods etc are still connected through the small holes
that the handle uses.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
Thats fine assuming the peg or pin that locks the window shut on the LHS
is actually moving when the mechanisium is operated. It might be tricky
checking that the rods etc are still connected through the small holes
that the handle uses.

Thanks to you both.

I am pretty sure the rod of the left side is not moving at all when I
turn the handle. When I turn it, I can easily feel the slight vibration
and hear the rod moving on the right. Nothing coming from the left.

Is it still your opinion that I should go with Alex's advice? (not
that I seem to have much choice anyway...)

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Sep 2006 04:03:00 -0700, sp1325sp at yahoo dott co dott uk wrote:

I am pretty sure the rod of the left side is not moving at all ...

snip
Is it still your opinion that I should go with Alex's advice? (not
that I seem to have much choice anyway...)

Jemmying the frame with the pin/peg still in the frames locking plate is
just going to nagger the frame.

My intial thought was that the window is slightly out of true and that
there is pressure on the on/peg stopping it from withdrawing. You might
be able to push/pull the opener enough to release the pressure and thus
the peg/pin as you operate the mechanisium. But if the operating rod has
parted at one or other end you have a proplem if it's at the handle end
you might be able to fiddle about grab hold of the end and pull. At the
pin/peg end I think you are stuffed. Warranty?

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sp1325sp at yahoo dott co dott uk" wrote:
One of my UPVC windows is stuck fast. The handle can be turned
anti-clockwise to release the fastening mechanism on the right side of
the window, but the left side remains locked. It is a top hanging
window, and the lock is at the bottom.

I removed the handle by unscrewing the 2 screws at either side of it
and slid out the spindle mechanism. The handle mechanism operates OK. I
suspect the left bolt that is actionned by the spindle and locks the
left side doesn't move when the handle is turned.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

With the sealed unit out can you open up a hole in the frame above where the
left bolt is situated, just enough to get a pair of long nosed pliers in,
and pull the bolt along and free of the catch? A small drill bit will make
rows of stitch holes in the upvc and should allow you to make a hole.
Hopefully there is only upvc at that point and no metal reinforcing. Or, if
you know which firm installed the windows can you ask their advice?

Jammed Window mo UK diy 3 August 2nd 06 12:53 PM
New window in shower - use Corian? [email protected] Home Repair 4 March 8th 06 11:45 PM
New uPVC window - ballsed-up fitting Lobster UK diy 9 February 14th 06 06:25 PM
Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 01:06 PM
Adding restrictor to existing uPVC window Lobster UK diy 7 July 16th 04 08:03 PM