Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Adding 2 wall lights to a lighting circuit

Hi,

I have an extension in my house where I want to install 2 new wall
lights. I was wondering if it was ok/safe to take 2 spurs of the
existing lighting circuit. I currently have 6 ceiling rose lights on
that circuit.

If this is not ok can anyone suggest a better alternative? I plan to
take a spur of the current circuit using a 3-way junction box out in to
the extension. I was then going to use another 3way junction box to
spur a second connection. Each of the 2 spurs would then go to their
own 4-way junction box to power each light and control them via their
own switch.

I hope this is enough of a description. Any help or advice is very much
appreciated.

Cheers,

James

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have an extension in my house where I want to install 2 new wall
lights. I was wondering if it was ok/safe to take 2 spurs of the
existing lighting circuit. I currently have 6 ceiling rose lights on
that circuit.

No problem in principle. Remember that junction boxes must remain accessible
for inspection.

In general, you must allow 100W for each lighting point (or the maximum
allowed wattage for non-pendant fittings). A standard 6A MCB will allow
1380W.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dcbwhaley wrote:

I the thinest wire is 1mm^2 it should be protected by a 6 amp fuse
which will allow a total load of 1.4KW. If it is 1.5mm^2 use a 10 amp
fuse and a maximum load of 2.4KW.

There is a caveat he you can only use a 10A circuit protection if you
have no SES or mini bayonet fitting lamp holders on the circuit.

--
Cheers,

John.