Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Garage conversion window regulations

Im in Scotland and im planning a garage conversion. Im trying to work
out what size of window I can install. I want as small a window as
possible, its for a computer and TV room, but I believe there is a
regulation for daylight.
Does anyone know what the formula is , something do do with the
window's area against the total area of the room?

TIA

Doug

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 10:36:34 GMT, wrote:

Im in Scotland and im planning a garage conversion. Im trying to
work out what size of window I can install. I want as small a
window as possible, its for a computer and TV room, but I believe
there is a regulation for daylight.
Does anyone know what the formula is , something do do with the
window's area against the total area of the room?

TIA

Doug

I don't know if it's different in Scotland, but the regulation rule
of thumb is 10% of the floor area has to be glazed. 5% of the area
has to be openable, so if you had a 10sq m room, you could have a
1sq metre window with half of that openable, or a 1sq m closed
window (all glazed) with an unglazed (or lookalike panel) that opens
separately at 0.5m sq.

Hope that makes sense.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-14, Rexx Magnus wrote:

I don't know if it's different in Scotland, but the regulation rule
of thumb is 10% of the floor area has to be glazed.

Glazed flooring? Wouldn't that be rather, er, dark?

LOL, yes slightly bad grammar there.