Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default And now for the plumbing !!!

Hello all, I would appreciate some help on how to route the microbore
for the two new rads in the extension. the pipes need to go through the
joists, so is it a case of drilling or notching?
Notching would be the easiest way to run the pipe but I want to do it
correctly.

Also could you please confirm from what i have read in the building
regs regards drilling holes in joists. holes to be drilled in a zone
from .25 - .40 X lenght of joist and holes to be spaced 3X diameter of
hole apart. and no more than 1/6 diameter of width of joist.

many thanks once again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:35:47 -0700, Staffbull wrote:

Hello all, I would appreciate some help on how to route the microbore
for the two new rads in the extension. the pipes need to go through the
joists, so is it a case of drilling or notching?
Notching would be the easiest way to run the pipe but I want to do it
correctly.

I always prefer to drill as the pipe's out of the way of wayward floor
nails, but if you do that be careful not to bend the pipe back & forth too
much or it'll harden up. If you're using microbore I'd advise getting an
external bending spring rather than trying to bend by hand, and using
solder fittings for tight bends etc. I also prefer to solder a 15mm x 10mm
or 8mm fitting reducer onto the end of the pipe and go into a 15mm rad
valve rather than using a 10 or 8mm valve or a compression reducer, since
it's very easy to overtighten the olive onto the very soft microbore pipe
after which you'll never get a good seal.

Also could you please confirm from what i have read in the building
regs regards drilling holes in joists. holes to be drilled in a zone
from .25 - .40 X lenght of joist and holes to be spaced 3X diameter of
hole apart. and no more than 1/6 diameter of width of joist.

Absolutely, and if you look in any house you'll find all holes and notches
made exactly to the regulations without exception :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
[...]

Cheers, dilling it is !!!