Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How do they regulate mains water pressure?

I was just looking at mains water pressures recently.
I've seen it vary from 3 to 7 bar in our area.
Seems typical enough.

That got me wondering.
How do they regulate the pressure?

If we lived in flat-land, then they could regulate at the reservoir or
pumping station. But we don't live in flat-land.

The hydrostatic head of 10m head of water is roughly 1 bar, so I can't see
how one regulator could satisfy a hilly area without the top of the hill and
bottom of the hill having too wide a pressure difference. 40m of elevation
would be the difference between 3 bar at the top of the hill and 7 bar at
the bottom. Anything more than 40m elevation difference would require
seperate regulation, to my mind.

Do they have regulators dotted up and down the streets?

Where are they? Burried underground?

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y