Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bl***y B&Q

Really crap instructions for my new bath from B&Q. I adjusted the bath
and got it nice and level. I then thought I would try out the bath
panel. Being inexperienced in bath fitting. I hadn't appreciated that
the height of the bath had to be set exactly, to allow the panel to fit
snugly at top and bottom.

Re-adjusted the bath and have now discovered that it is not possible
for the centre leg to actually reach the floor! I suppose I will have
to put some plywood under it. But it would have been nice to have
instructions about getting the height right for the panel.

I am feeling a bit arsy with them now, so I will take a picture in to
the store at the weekend. At the very least it will inconvenience them
when I demand some plywood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Re-adjusted the bath and have now discovered that it is not possible
for the centre leg to actually reach the floor! I suppose I will have
to put some plywood under it. But it would have been nice to have
instructions about getting the height right for the panel.

I put plywood under bath legs as a matter of course. It helps spread the
load better than floorboards, especially if they're not T&G, or sitting
fortuitously over a joist.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Why would anyone need instructions on how to fit a bath and its panel?

Its hardly rocket science.

Thanks for the compassion. Whilst you may be able to foresee everything
without any instructions, lesser mortals such as myself might benefit
from some instruction. Particularly if it is something they've never
done before.

They could also have pointed out in the instructions that the holes for
the taps could be fitted wherever the installer chose, but that holes
would need to be drilled. This would have saved me a phone call and
saved someone in the store having to get paged to answer the question.

Despite people slagging off IKEA, I would commend them for the
instructions on assembling their furniture, where they have clearly
taken the time to consider exactly how to get across all the vital
steps of construction, without even using any written instructions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The3rd
Earl Of Derby writes
wrote:
Really crap instructions for my new bath from B&Q.

Why would anyone need instructions on how to fit a bath and its panel?

Many things that are obvious when you've been doing things for a while
aren't so when starting out, or doing some jobs for the first time.

It's quite easy to not fit bath correctly I reckon
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Christian McArdle wrote:

I put plywood under bath legs as a matter of course. It helps spread the
load better than floorboards, especially if they're not T&G, or sitting
fortuitously over a joist.

Thanks Christian, I was thinking of doing this anyway, but it certainly
makes sense to help get things rock-solid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I agree with the previous poster, it isn't really the responsibilty of
a diy shop to supply instructions on how to fit a bath. Plumbing
fittings don't have instructions, screws don't, some electrical
fittings do - but by no means all you need to know, hand tools don't,
etc. Power tools have safety info, but they don't tell you how to make
stuff with them.

Many stores have information sheets, and in French stores I've seen a
superb range of books on sale, but that's about them promoting their
wares, not an obligation.

And most staff know less than nothing.

I'd suggest the OP chalk it up to experience and not blame the store -
or demand that bits of wood should be included. I know it can be hard
sometimes to accept "I f***** it up", but we've all done it, and learnt
from it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
It's usual to have to trim the bottom of the panel a bit - bitch of a
job as it's too floppy to saw easily, and too hard for a Stanley knife
which is likely to slip and slice you.

The panels often have a wide flat section at the base and it's often
possible to slot that behind a length of skirting board which can be run
along the bottom,

David

Not really possible to trim the bottom in this case because the bath is
a P type shape, giving a wider end for the shower. Therefore pretty
important to get the height spot on.

Cross section of the panel is

xxx
xxx

The bottom lip provides the necessary rigidity when clipped onto the
floor.

Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

And if I buy a box of readymix cake-mixture from Tesco then I'd
certainly expect that to come with instructions...

David

Right,but how do you make the lemon meringue pie?
Do the lemons,cornflour,eggs,caster sugar come with instructions?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Lobster wrote:

And if I buy a box of readymix cake-mixture from Tesco then I'd
certainly expect that to come with instructions...

Right,but how do you make the lemon meringue pie?
Do the lemons,cornflour,eggs,caster sugar come with instructions?

No, that's the same as asking "how do you make the table?" when shopping
at B&Q

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I am an awkward bugger and will take some delight in complaining at my
local B&Q. They have inconvenienced me, so I will do it to them in
return.

No you inconvenienced yourself by not checking everything and thinking
the job through properly, however unlike the rest of us - you're
blaming everyone but yourself.

Ever wondered why diy'ers aren't right popular around builders
merchants?

It's attitudes like yours that create the ripoff prices/poor quality
goods market that is the diy sheds.

B&Q trampoline - any good? John Stumbles UK diy 17 July 12th 06 01:17 AM
The Brass of B&Q Rumble UK diy 0 February 10th 06 01:04 AM
The Brass of B&Q nightjar UK diy 0 February 10th 06 12:51 AM
The Brass of B&Q Andy Dingley UK diy 0 February 9th 06 09:44 PM
The Brass of B&Q Cicero UK diy 1 February 9th 06 09:11 PM