Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default B&Q trampoline - any good?

B&Q are doing a 12' trampoline for £65 quid.

The box says:
Galvanized steel frame with stainless steel springs
Foam safety pads and polypropylene jumping mat
Max weight 90kg

There are 72 springs which are about 1" diameter by about 9" long. The
springs attack to the mat material by metal triangular rings. The
perimeter of the mat seems to have about 10 concentric rows of stitching.
The padding seems quite thin (maybe 20mm?) but very firm.

I've been looking at
http://www.trampolinesales.co.uk/buy...line-guide.htm for
guidance

I think more expensive tramps have thicker springs, so I assume this one
won't have as much bounce which I guess will be more noticeable for
heavier users. Question is: is it a complete load of tat or a worthwhile
starter trampoline (particularly given that something like a Bazoongi
12ft Popular Trampoline is over twice the price)?

On particular question I have is about the stainless-steel springs. All
other tramps seem to have galvanised steel. Will stainless stay springy?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
[...]

Yes,but will rust if left outside where as galvanised won't.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
B&Q are doing a 12' trampoline for £65 quid.

Sorry it's not addressing your question but don't even consider buying it
without the safety netting. Family across from me got one last year -
without a safety net there'd be so many trips to A&E.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 14:24:01 +0100, shaun wrote:

John Stumbles wrote:
B&Q are doing a 12' trampoline for £65 quid.

Sorry it's not addressing your question but don't even consider buying it
without the safety netting. Family across from me got one last year -
without a safety net there'd be so many trips to A&E.

SWMBO is insistent on this. However this seems diyable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 12:23:34 +0000, The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

On particular question I have is about the stainless-steel springs.
All other tramps seem to have galvanised steel. Will stainless stay
springy?

Yes,but will rust if left outside where as galvanised won't.

Er, _stainless_ steel will _rust_???

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 12:18:27 +0000, John Stumbles wrote:

B&Q are doing a 12' trampoline for £65 quid.

Oops! my bad - it actually comes in a set of 2 boxes and the bloody
numpties at B&Q have priced it at £65 per box despite the fact that
either box on its own is about as much use as a chocolate teapot. So it's
really £130 ... except they've currently got it on offer for £110, which
is still not too bad a price.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 12:18:27 +0000, John Stumbles wrote:

B&Q are doing a 12' trampoline for £65 quid.

Oops! my bad - it actually comes in a set of 2 boxes and the bloody
numpties at B&Q have priced it at £65 per box despite the fact that
either box on its own is about as much use as a chocolate teapot. So
it's really £130 ... except they've currently got it on offer for
£110, which is still not too bad a price.

In that case 2' shorter gets you this.
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/3681127.htm

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from John Stumbles contains these words:

Oops! my bad - it actually comes in a set of 2 boxes and the bloody
numpties at B&Q have priced it at £65 per box despite the fact that
either box on its own is about as much use as a chocolate teapot. So it's
really £130 ... except they've currently got it on offer for £110, which
is still not too bad a price.

I notice they do that with their split aircon, too. Each /box/ is
£270something, not the whole thing. Cheeky, that is.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from John Stumbles contains these words:

Oops! my bad - it actually comes in a set of 2 boxes and the bloody
numpties at B&Q have priced it at £65 per box despite the fact that
either box on its own is about as much use as a chocolate teapot. So
it's
really £130 ... except they've currently got it on offer for £110, which
is still not too bad a price.

I notice they do that with their split aircon, too. Each /box/ is
£270something, not the whole thing. Cheeky, that is.

--

Same as Wickes, maybe some people buy just the internal unit to impress
their friends and hope it doesnt get too hot ;-)

..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HLAH wrote:
"Guy King" wrote in message

I notice they do that with their split aircon, too. Each /box/ is
£270something, not the whole thing. Cheeky, that is.

Same as Wickes, maybe some people buy just the internal unit to
impress their friends and hope it doesnt get too hot ;-)

You say that in jest.

Was in Makro a couple of weeks ago looking at the split unit air con that
they do (£199.99 for the set). Would have had one except they had 4 external
units and none of the internal ones. Guy there reckons a couple of people
have taken the internal boxes as pairs cos they're smaller...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John Stumbles
writes
B&Q are doing a 12' trampoline for £65 quid.

The box says:
Galvanized steel frame with stainless steel springs
Foam safety pads and polypropylene jumping mat
Max weight 90kg

On particular question I have is about the stainless-steel springs. All
other tramps seem to have galvanised steel. Will stainless stay springy?

Are you and three other people going to stand and spot each side every
time one of the kids wants a go ?

I'm not one who normally blows the safety nazi trumpet, but (and don't
laugh - as someone who represented the county at trampolining) you (or
your kids) can do themselves a serious injury if they come off - that
flimsy safety net doesn't look like it would stop any one

You have to remember that a trampoline is not a toy, it's a piece of
sports equipment which really you need to learn how to use. Even if you
don't fall off, you can break e.g. an ankle, if you have two on it, you
could lose teeth

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote in message

, but (and don't
laugh - as someone who represented the county at trampolining)

LOL
That was before the good living affected the waistline, yes ?

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 20:12:48 +0000, raden wrote:

I'm not one who normally blows the safety nazi trumpet, but (and don't
laugh - as someone who represented the county at trampolining) you (or
your kids) can do themselves a serious injury if they come off

You have to remember that a trampoline is not a toy, it's a piece of
sports equipment which really you need to learn how to use. Even if you
don't fall off, you can break e.g. an ankle, if you have two on it, you
could lose teeth

s/trampoline/bicycle/ etc

and a tree isn't sports equipment but if they fall out of one ... etc

- that flimsy safety net doesn't look like it would stop any one

What flimsy safety net is that? I haven't bought a net (they cost as much
as the tramp itself and seem far less VFM for what they are). I'm thinking
along the lines of several suitably-sized poles and some decent netting
strung between. But that's not so much for our own kids, who are fairly
praxic, as for guests (and their fretful parents).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 12:23:34 +0000, The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

On particular question I have is about the stainless-steel springs.
All other tramps seem to have galvanised steel. Will stainless stay
springy?

Yes,but will rust if left outside where as galvanised won't.

Er, _stainless_ steel will _rust_???

See http://www.oneida.co.uk/shop.php?page=cutlery_faq

I've had it happen to a couple of items that were at least claimed to
be stainless steel. A refund was obtained in both cases.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mark
writes

raden wrote in message

, but (and don't
laugh - as someone who represented the county at trampolining)

LOL
That was before the good living affected the waistline, yes ?

And his ...

http://www.nudisttrampolining.com/

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John Stumbles
writes
On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 20:12:48 +0000, raden wrote:

I'm not one who normally blows the safety nazi trumpet, but (and don't
laugh - as someone who represented the county at trampolining) you (or
your kids) can do themselves a serious injury if they come off

You have to remember that a trampoline is not a toy, it's a piece of
sports equipment which really you need to learn how to use. Even if you
don't fall off, you can break e.g. an ankle, if you have two on it, you
could lose teeth

s/trampoline/bicycle/ etc

and a tree isn't sports equipment but if they fall out of one ... etc

Bicycles and trees are not treated like toys are they ?

- that flimsy safety net doesn't look like it would stop any one

What flimsy safety net is that?

The one on the website

I haven't bought a net (they cost as much
as the tramp itself and seem far less VFM for what they are). I'm thinking
along the lines of several suitably-sized poles and some decent netting
strung between. But that's not so much for our own kids, who are fairly
praxic, as for guests (and their fretful parents).

I've had my say

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 17:31:19 +0000, raden wrote:

In message , John Stumbles
writes

s/trampoline/bicycle/ etc

Bicycles and trees are not treated like toys are they ?

By kids? yes: they play on them.

Come to think of it a lot of what kids play with outdoors - swings, play
frames etc - involves potential danger, and also potential for developing
fitness, coordination and so on.

- that flimsy safety net doesn't look like it would stop any one

What flimsy safety net is that?

The one on the website

Gah! B&Q wibble. I didn't look at that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 17:21:48 +0000, raden wrote:

http://www.nudisttrampolining.com/

SILLY!

;-)