Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Adding a radiator

Can I add another radiator on my system. Is it possible to tee off from the
feed pipe off an existing radiator, one from the feed line and the other on
the return or will this cause problems?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Allan Gamble" writes:
Can I add another radiator on my system. Is it possible to tee off from the
feed pipe off an existing radiator, one from the feed line and the other on
the return or will this cause problems?

That would normally be OK, unless either radiator is extremely big
in which case the pipework might not handle the flow for another.
You should rebalance the radiators afterwards.

If your system is a single pipe system (radiators connected in series
rather than parallel), then you would connect it in series, with a
bypass pipe across the bottom, as with the other radiators. Then
rebalance that single pipe loop.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Allan Gamble wrote:

Can I add another radiator on my system. Is it possible to tee off from the
feed pipe off an existing radiator, one from the feed line and the other on
the return or will this cause problems?

In general, yes you can extend as you describe. Obviously it helps if
the boiler is not already struggling to cope with the load. You can only
stick about 6kW of heat down a 15mm pipe, so it might be worth checking
that you are not teeing into a small pipe feeding a bunch of big radiators!

To give a more reliable answer we would need to know how many rads are
there currently, the power of the boiler (or make and model), a bit
about how it is piped, and if its a sealed or vented system.

--
Cheers,

John.