Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default When to replace a combi boiler

I have an Ocean Combi boiler, which has developed a fault so that the
radiators heat up passively when the hot water is on (hot water seems
to bleed into the heating circuit by expansion when the hot water is
used). My plumber diagnosed a problem with the diaphram valve and
replaced this (at significant expense), but this has not fixed the
problem. He now state that there is "sludge" in the system which is
blocking the valve and is recommending a complete boilder replacement.
This seems grossly excessive given that the boilder is only 7-8 years
old. I've asked the plumber to investigate flushing the system out and
replacing the inhibitor to try and remove the "sludge" that is causing
the problem, for which I have been quoted £375(!)

Other than changing my plumber (which I'm seriously considering) and
adcise greatly appreciated

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newtoj" wrote:
I have an Ocean Combi boiler, which has developed a fault so that the
radiators heat up passively when the hot water is on (hot water seems
to bleed into the heating circuit by expansion when the hot water is
used). My plumber diagnosed a problem with the diaphram valve and
replaced this (at significant expense), but this has not fixed the
problem. He now state that there is "sludge" in the system which is
blocking the valve and is recommending a complete boilder replacement.
This seems grossly excessive given that the boilder is only 7-8 years
old. I've asked the plumber to investigate flushing the system out and
replacing the inhibitor to try and remove the "sludge" that is causing
the problem, for which I have been quoted £375(!)

Other than changing my plumber (which I'm seriously considering) and
adcise greatly appreciated

[ ================ ]

If flushing is the solution you can hire the equipment and do it yourself,
if you feel up to it:
http://www.webbs-site.co.uk/hire/flushpump.htm or any tool hire centre will
oblige.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newtoj" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have an Ocean Combi boiler, which has developed a fault so that the
radiators heat up passively when the hot water is on (hot water seems
to bleed into the heating circuit by expansion when the hot water is
used). My plumber diagnosed a problem with the diaphram valve and
replaced this (at significant expense), but this has not fixed the
problem. He now state that there is "sludge" in the system which is
blocking the valve and is recommending a complete boilder replacement.
This seems grossly excessive given that the boilder is only 7-8 years
old. I've asked the plumber to investigate flushing the system out and
replacing the inhibitor to try and remove the "sludge" that is causing
the problem, for which I have been quoted £375(!)

Other than changing my plumber (which I'm seriously considering) and
adcise greatly appreciated

=========================
I doubt if any self-respecting plumber would install a new boiler into a system
that is known to be so badly 'sludged' that it is inhibiting the proper
functioning of the existing boiler. I would suggest that you tell the plumber to
sort out the problem at his expense since he should have known that the sludge
was there and that it would interfere with the performance of the new diaphram
valve - IF that is truly what is happening.

If flushing is required it certainly shouldn't cost you £375-00p since the
machines can be hired and the plumber should be competent to use it.

Cic.

It has removed 429 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 00:46:06 -0700, newtoj wrote:

I have an Ocean Combi boiler, which has developed a fault so that the
radiators heat up passively when the hot water is on (hot water seems
to bleed into the heating circuit by expansion when the hot water is
used). My plumber diagnosed a problem with the diaphram valve and
replaced this (at significant expense), but this has not fixed the
problem. He now state that there is "sludge" in the system which is
blocking the valve and is recommending a complete boilder replacement.
This seems grossly excessive given that the boilder is only 7-8 years
old. I've asked the plumber to investigate flushing the system out and
replacing the inhibitor to try and remove the "sludge" that is causing
the problem, for which I have been quoted £375(!)

Other than changing my plumber (which I'm seriously considering) and
adcise greatly appreciated

Good money after bad springs to mind when dealing with problems on low end
kit.
Try unblocking the HDW heatXer as if that's 3/4 blocked the back pressure
can cause trouble.
With the heating on are the bottom middles of the rads permanently cold?

If you go the boiler replacement route (this boiler is not the most
rugged of models - get something better).

DIY Combi boiler and central heating system [email protected] UK diy 14 January 30th 06 09:46 PM
New condensing boiler installation - truth or lies Martin Evans UK diy 57 July 2nd 05 02:13 PM
Condensing Boiler News RedOnRed UK diy 0 April 9th 05 05:37 PM
Water flow rate problem and Combi boiler Andrew Beck UK diy 15 September 3rd 04 11:00 PM