Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cooker cabling advice (32A)

Hi,

I can't get hold of my sparky and I've got a weekend spare, so I wanted
to prep for a new dual-fuelcooker over I've ordered. It's a
Gas/electrical combi and is rated as 32amps (with a load of 5.2kW).

I was hoping to pre-cable a single cable (i.e. not a loop) to the
kitchen and get the sparky to finish off the rest.

As I can't get hold of him, could any one advise what exact cable I
should pre-cable between the cooker and the fusebox ?

I've heard 10mm fly around with a few collegues of mine, but I thought
I should double check.
Are all cables rated with an ampage ?

Also, would this require any special wall plug to switch it on/off or
would it be connected directly to the cooker ?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've heard 10mm fly around with a few collegues of mine, but I thought
I should double check.

It depends on the length of the cable. For short to medium lengths, 6mm will
be fine. For long lengths, 10mm might be required. There's no harm in
overspeccing the cable, except that 10mm cable is stiffer and harder to work
with and a little more expensive.

Are all cables rated with an ampage ?

Yes, although it is not usually the cable maximum current that decides the
cable size, except for short runs. Normally it is voltage drop or, in a few
cases, earth loop impedence.

Also, would this require any special wall plug to switch it on/off or
would it be connected directly to the cooker ?

You need a suitable wall mounted switch within 2m of the cooker. The output
from this switch should then be terminated in a cooker outlet plate behind
the cooker. Then the recommended cable of the manufacturer should be used
between the cooker outlet plate and the cooker.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

So the switch would be an isolation type switch to turn it off ? (Big
switch with a red indicator light?)

Are these switchs perfectly capable of handling a 10mm wire ? (Thick
question, but have to ask!)

Thanks again

Christian McArdle wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

So the switch would be an isolation type switch to turn it off ? (Big
switch with a red indicator light?)

The isolation means that it must be double pole with 3mm contact gap. The
red indicator light is optional.

Are these switchs perfectly capable of handling a 10mm wire ? (Thick
question, but have to ask!)

Most suitable switches are rated at 45A and will take 10mm without problem.
However, you may need to check before purchase, as some will only take 6mm,
or might require a deeper mounting box size for 10mm.

Christian.

Electric cooker connection petek UK diy 8 March 8th 05 11:23 PM
Electric plug near gas cooker ..... ? troubleinstore UK diy 2 January 12th 05 09:21 PM
Scandinova cooker wounded horse UK diy 0 January 9th 05 05:40 PM
about the cooker socket Jason UK diy 11 October 27th 04 10:33 PM
Re-wiring kitchen - some advice, please Chris Kaley UK diy 15 May 17th 04 11:56 PM