Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Confession Time

Whilst cutting some mdf and in a bit of a hurry I managed to cut right
through my workmate. Both of the pieces of ply are now cut through at
about 80% depth. I was using a brand new circular saw (B&Q, £25) and I
didn't even feel any increased resistance! So not much use for standing
on anymore. Not too bad as I should be able to get hold of some hefty
ply to knock up some replacements, but inconvenient to say the least.

Just made we wonder whether anyone else felt the need to confess their
cock ups!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
Whilst cutting some mdf and in a bit of a hurry I managed to cut right
through my workmate. Both of the pieces of ply are now cut through at
about 80% depth. I was using a brand new circular saw (B&Q, £25) and I
didn't even feel any increased resistance! So not much use for standing
on anymore. Not too bad as I should be able to get hold of some hefty
ply to knock up some replacements, but inconvenient to say the least.

Just made we wonder whether anyone else felt the need to confess their
cock ups!

Whilst fitting a 13 amp spur, housewife with power off wittering about using
elec kettle for cup of tea with me about 15 minutes away from finishing job.
In the end the noise in my ears got so loud that I just parted the end of
the cable, which was already connected at the supply end, restored the
supply and let her use the kettle. After she'd made her tea I went back to
shorten the cable and forgot to re-isolate it! Those earth leakage breakers
are marvellous! I received no shock, the flash was minimal and my
sidecutters received a miniscule amount of arc damage.

Then there was the time I relit the gas boiler without purging it properly
first - and lost the kitchen window.

That's all for now, my soul feels totally unburdened. :^)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 13:45:46 +0100, Frank Erskine
wrote:

On 2 Sep 2006 04:46:12 -0700, wrote:

Whilst cutting some mdf and in a bit of a hurry I managed to cut right
through my workmate.

I hope you got him straight to A&E...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
Whilst cutting some mdf and in a bit of a hurry I managed to cut right
through my workmate. Both of the pieces of ply are now cut through at
about 80% depth. I was using a brand new circular saw (B&Q, £25) and I
didn't even feel any increased resistance! So not much use for standing
on anymore. Not too bad as I should be able to get hold of some hefty
ply to knock up some replacements, but inconvenient to say the least.

Just made we wonder whether anyone else felt the need to confess their
cock ups!

We've all made them it!
More than once I've cut timber too short due to not being careful.
Now believe and practice "Measure twice - cut once".

Regards,
Eddie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Eddie G0EHV" contains these words:

More than once I've cut timber too short due to not being careful.
Now believe and practice "Measure twice - cut once".

Ah, I remember first my grandad, then my dad teaching me that. And now
my son knows it.

And, it helps. The other day it helped me cut a bit of cedar to exactly
the right length. Such a shame it was the wrong bit of cedar, the
remaining bit being too short to replace the bit I'd amputated.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

More than once I've cut timber too short due to not being careful.
Now believe and practice "Measure twice - cut once".

Regards,
Eddie

Or as my time served cabinet maker father used to say, keep your wood as
long as you can, as long as you can.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
wrote:
Whilst cutting some mdf and in a bit of a hurry I managed to cut right
through my workmate. Both of the pieces of ply are now cut through at
about 80% depth. I was using a brand new circular saw (B&Q, £25) and I
didn't even feel any increased resistance! So not much use for standing
on anymore. Not too bad as I should be able to get hold of some hefty
ply to knock up some replacements, but inconvenient to say the least.

Expensive. They're about 40 quid to replace.

--
*Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message . com
from "Tournifreak" contains these words:

Not isolated electrics - yes (when I was 14 - and I got entry and exit
burns to prove it!)

Have you tried stripping a live mains cable with your teeth? If not, I
heartily suggest you avoid it.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:
Whilst cutting some mdf and in a bit of a hurry I managed to cut
right through my workmate. Both of the pieces of ply are now cut
through at about 80% depth. I was using a brand new circular saw
(B&Q, £25) and I didn't even feel any increased resistance! So not
much use for standing on anymore. Not too bad as I should be able to
get hold of some hefty ply to knock up some replacements, but
inconvenient to say the least.

Expensive. They're about 40 quid to replace.

Depends on the model,but yes 40GBP is minium.

However a trip to the lumber yard will get you the same wood and thickness
for a small amount of money.
All you have to do is cut it to size and glue a piece of laminate flooring
on top of the two peices. ;-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Eddie G0EHV wrote:
More than once I've cut timber too short due to not being careful. Now
believe and practice "Measure twice - cut once".

Then cut it again, and a third time - and dammit, it's still too short.

--
Ian White
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Eddie G0EHV" wrote in
:

More than once I've cut timber too short due to not being careful.
Now believe and practice "Measure twice - cut once".

That doesn't work for me, pipe, timber etc, it's always

"Measure umpteen times from all directions, cut once - it's still too b****
short"

mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 2 Sep 2006 23:09:42 +0100, "HLAH"
wrote:

My classic - architrave or coving cut wrong handed, so many bloody times!

The next time that bloody happens to me, I'm going to say "sod it,
we'll have the coving running down the wall in that corner."

Cheers,

Colin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

I backed a landrover into mine.

I reversed over my favourite Primus stove.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
bof bof is offline

In message , The3rd
Earl Of Derby writes
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:
Whilst cutting some mdf and in a bit of a hurry I managed to cut
right through my workmate. Both of the pieces of ply are now cut
through at about 80% depth. I was using a brand new circular saw
(B&Q, £25) and I didn't even feel any increased resistance! So not
much use for standing on anymore. Not too bad as I should be able to
get hold of some hefty ply to knock up some replacements, but
inconvenient to say the least.

Expensive. They're about 40 quid to replace.

Depends on the model,but yes 40GBP is minium.

However a trip to the lumber yard will get you the same wood and thickness
for a small amount of money.
All you have to do is cut it to size and glue a piece of laminate flooring
on top of the two peices. ;-)

The ply jaws on my workmate split after a couple of years service and
got replaced with some nice hardwood from a fire surround that got
stripped out, and still going strong after 18 years, though I do need
some more of the little plastic peg stops.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

bof wrote:
In message , The3rd
Earl Of Derby writes
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:
[...]

Spare parts section, B&D indoor,
http://tinyurl.co.uk/foes

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
bof bof is offline

In message , The3rd
Earl Of Derby writes
bof wrote:
In message , The3rd
Earl Of Derby writes
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:
[...]

Thanks, looks useful, though it works out at £15.59 for a set of four
inc. P&P, but it did get me looking around, there's a few places doing
them on eBay for c. £5, search for: workmate pegs.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

bof wrote:

Spare parts section, B&D indoor,
http://tinyurl.co.uk/foes

Thanks, looks useful, though it works out at £15.59 for a set of four
inc. P&P, but it did get me looking around, there's a few places doing
them on eBay for c. £5, search for: workmate pegs.

I dont use the pegs, I've made some dowling the same diam as the holes and
glued&screwed the dowl pegs to a strip of 1'3/8" piece of wood the lenght
of the table.

Just dump the wood strip in the holes when I need it.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Just made we wonder whether anyone else felt the need to confess their
cock ups!

{deep denial} whats a mistake? {/denial}{/denial}{/denial}

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 04:46:12 -0700, deckertim wrote:

Whilst cutting some mdf and in a bit of a hurry I managed to cut right
through my workmate. Both of the pieces of ply are now cut through at
about 80% depth. I was using a brand new circular saw (B&Q, £25) and I
didn't even feel any increased resistance! So not much use for standing
on anymore. Not too bad as I should be able to get hold of some hefty
ply to knock up some replacements, but inconvenient to say the least.

Just made we wonder whether anyone else felt the need to confess their
cock ups!

There are some deep (and very neat) slots in the ally frame of the
vertical circular saw rig at our local B&Q :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Ian"
saying something like:

When he realised the mistake, he got another worktop and decided to draw
around the piece he'd cut out of the other worktop so as not to make the
same mistake again. I kid you not!

Priceless.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Lobster
saying something like:

well, actually it was a water cooler container (the best thing I could
find for brewing in Indonesia). I sealed it when I thought it had just
about finished fermenting, just to build up a bit of pressure

Once had that happen as a kid making ginger beer, only with a glass
lemonade bottle. Pretty darned spectacular I can tell you... glad
nobody was in the room when it went off!

I blame Blue Peter for that. I carefully copied the recipe but something
was missing - it was the instruction to release pressure every so often.
A batch of half a dozen bottles blew up in the kitchen and peppered the
walls with glass shrapnel - TF the kitchen was empty.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Huge contains these words:

(***Favourite*** Primus stove?!??!?!?!?!?!?)

Yeah. I've got a few. Can't be more than seven or eight.

But I can give up any time.

Just don't look too closely at the collection of Tilley/Optimus/Primus lamps.

--
Skipweasel

How do I DIY my time Cameron UK diy 14 May 12th 06 10:12 PM
MORMON IS A CULT. Oscar_Lives Home Repair 33 January 7th 06 04:58 AM
R*volume*raduis2 c3po "Theroy of everything" zetasum Electronics Repair 0 February 18th 05 09:21 PM