Junior Member

Default How do I DIY my time

The time now is 18:02
I'm sat in England

The time at the bottom of this page is "All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:06 PM."

The time in DIYBanter Options is GMT 00:00

My windows clock is set to 18:02

Time appearing on this post 10:06
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Cameron
writes

The time now is 18:02
I'm sat in England

The time at the bottom of this page is "All times are GMT +1. The time
now is 10:06 PM."

The time in DIYBanter Options is GMT 00:00

My windows clock is set to 18:02

Time appearing on this post 10:06

You're using DIY Banter - give up and commit suicide

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:
In message , Cameron
writes

The time now is 18:02
I'm sat in England

The time at the bottom of this page is "All times are GMT +1. The time
now is 10:06 PM."

The time in DIYBanter Options is GMT 00:00

My windows clock is set to 18:02

Time appearing on this post 10:06

You're using DIY Banter - give up and commit suicide

lol.

Imho the OP is being very fussy worrying about a few hours. My first PC
had system files on it allegedly dated 1955 and 1965, and to find a
file that was reported to have been created after it was last modified,
and last modified after it was last accessed, was just normal. Computer
times and dates are at best hopeful. If there's one thing computers can
do well, its lie through their teeth about the accuracy of garbage
data.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills

Cameron wrote:

The time now is 18:02
I'm sat in England

The time at the bottom of this page is "All times are GMT +1. The time
now is 10:06 PM."

The time in DIYBanter Options is GMT 00:00

My windows clock is set to 18:02

Time appearing on this post 10:06

It's because your PC is set to the wrong timezone - probably USA Eastern
Seaboard time, or something - and the usenet system is believing your 18:02,
and adjusting it to UK time.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer

In article , Roger Mills
writes
Cameron wrote:

The time now is 18:02
I'm sat in England

The time at the bottom of this page is "All times are GMT +1. The time
now is 10:06 PM."

The time in DIYBanter Options is GMT 00:00

My windows clock is set to 18:02

Time appearing on this post 10:06

It's because your PC is set to the wrong timezone - probably USA Eastern
Seaboard time, or something - and the usenet system is believing your 18:02,
and adjusting it to UK time.

Search for a program called atomic.exe its freeware. This will "ping" a
timeserver once a day and keep your clock very much on time!.

There is another little utility called Tclock ex written by Dale Nurden
which makes the clock section on a windoze machine all the more
useful....

save you looking;!.

http://www.winsite.com/bin/Info?1000000034325

http://www.rcis.co.za/dale/

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

tony sayer wrote:
In article , Roger Mills
writes
Cameron wrote:

The time now is 18:02
The time at the bottom of this page is "All times are GMT +1.
Time appearing on this post 10:06

It's because your PC is set to the wrong timezone - probably USA Eastern
Seaboard time, or something - and the usenet system is believing your 18:02,
and adjusting it to UK time.

Search for a program called atomic.exe its freeware. This will "ping" a
timeserver once a day and keep your clock very much on time!.

There is another little utility called Tclock ex written by Dale Nurden
which makes the clock section on a windoze machine all the more
useful....

But that isn't the problem. He has to reset his clock by clicking on it
and checking what year it is running in as well as adjusting it for the
minutes being out, before bothering with the days months and hours.

It could be that the CMOS battery is duff. They only last about 8 years
although they can go to 10 or more. I always remove my power cable
these days when the PC is not in use.

I had a PSU blow up on me due to a faulty DVD Writer. (I hope, 'cause
that's what's been taken out to cure it.)

The times zones run at 1 hourly intervals. Minutes will be the same
wherever.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
gort

It could be that the CMOS battery is duff. They only last about 8 years
although they can go to 10 or more. I always remove my power cable
these days when the PC is not in use.

Why?, theres no charging circuit any more you know.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod

tony sayer wrote in
:

In article , Roger Mills
writes
Cameron wrote:

The time now is 18:02
I'm sat in England

The time at the bottom of this page is "All times are GMT +1. The
time now is 10:06 PM."

The time in DIYBanter Options is GMT 00:00

My windows clock is set to 18:02

Time appearing on this post 10:06

It's because your PC is set to the wrong timezone - probably USA
Eastern Seaboard time, or something - and the usenet system is
believing your 18:02, and adjusting it to UK time.

Search for a program called atomic.exe its freeware. This will "ping"
a timeserver once a day and keep your clock very much on time!.

snip

If you (OP) are using Windows, you probably don't need to go looking.
Windows 2000 onwards (XP, server 2003, etc.) have time management
built-in. You might need to configure it - but that is likely required
with any third-party software as well. Mind, I don't think that is the
problem either - access usenet directly.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer

In article .com,
Weatherlawyer writes

tony sayer wrote:
In article , Roger Mills
writes
Cameron wrote:

The time now is 18:02
[...]

If the CMOS batt was U/S a lot more settings would be amiss..

I had a PSU blow up on me due to a faulty DVD Writer. (I hope, 'cause
that's what's been taken out to cure it.)

The times zones run at 1 hourly intervals. Minutes will be the same
wherever.

Well one presumes the OP has checked them?. If not suggest he does
ASAP!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tray clock, alarm clock with Longhorn style:

http://www.drive-software.com/atomicalarmclock.html

nice...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer

In article .com,
writes
tray clock, alarm clock with Longhorn style:

http://www.drive-software.com/atomicalarmclock.html

nice...

Yes so it does

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cameron wrote:
I think 'Raden' put his finger on it!

"You're using DIY Banter - give up and commit suicide"

Can i use something else?

If you knew what a newsreader was, you would be probably be using one
and wouldn't need to ask that question so I'll suggest
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-i-y instead.

MBQ

Junior Member

Thanks everyone but....

PC is brand new - custom built - XP - certain the CMOS battery is ok

Time zone is correct - both in windows and in DIYbanter Otions

I think 'Raden' put his finger on it!

"You're using DIY Banter - give up and commit suicide"

Can i use something else?

PS appoligise now for whatever time appears on this
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills

Cameron wrote:

Time zone is correct - both in windows and in DIYbanter Otions

I think 'Raden' put his finger on it!

"You're using DIY Banter - give up and commit suicide"

When did you *actually* post it?

The initial time stamp in the header is Fri, 12 May 2006 05:31:03 -0500

This indicates that it posted at 5:31 am by a PC whose timezone is 5 hours
behind GMT (or 6 hours behind BST) - so that means 11:31 UK time.

According to DIY Banter, it was posted at 1:19pm UK time - which is nearly 2
hours later. However, that time is clearly wrong because someone answered
your message at 11:58 am - which would require a degree of clairvoyance!

I suspect that we have two separate probems here - each of which needs
sorting individually.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Cameron
writes

Thanks everyone but....

PC is brand new - custom built - XP - certain the CMOS battery is ok

Time zone is correct - both in windows and in DIYbanter Otions

I think 'Raden' put his finger on it!

"You're using DIY Banter - give up and commit suicide"

Can i use something else?

PS appoligise now for whatever time appears on this

Get a program which will read newsgroups e.g.

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

--
geoff