Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default toilet inlet valve query

I have a Torbeck inlet valve for a new toilet I intend to fit today.
Problem is, its a bottom inlet valve and the brass thread that goes through
the cistern has no internal shoulder to push up a pipe and screw on
in fact the hole is very small.
There is an additional threaded nut on the outside, but no instructions
or apprant way for connecting the copper (or plastic) incoming mains to this
see pic
http://www.naldernet.plus.com/holding/valve1.JPG
I bought this fitting, which fits, but presumably I use PTFE tape on the 2
touching brass threads
and make sure the rubber washer sits inside?
http://www.naldernet.plus.com/holding/valve2.JPG
Is this right?/wrong?
can anyone help me find a way to connect the pipework to this please?
thanks
--
Vass
'02 YZF-R1

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Vass" contains these words:

I bought this fitting, which fits, but presumably I use PTFE tape on the 2
touching brass threads
and make sure the rubber washer sits inside?

The rubber will bear directly on the nose of the inner thread, so
there's no need to seal between the two brass threads.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from "Vass" contains these words:

I bought this fitting, which fits, but presumably I use PTFE tape on the
2
touching brass threads
and make sure the rubber washer sits inside?

The rubber will bear directly on the nose of the inner thread, so
there's no need to seal between the two brass threads.

great, i bought the right part ! phew many thanks

--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Guy King
writes
The message
from "Vass" contains these words:

I bought this fitting, which fits, but presumably I use PTFE tape on the 2
touching brass threads
and make sure the rubber washer sits inside?

The rubber will bear directly on the nose of the inner thread, so
there's no need to seal between the two brass threads.

I'd say the adapter on the left is designed to mate and seal with the larger
threaded piece on the right, it may incidentally seal the smaller pipe too
but that's not guaranteed, seal the threads too.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

There is an additional threaded nut on the outside, but no instructions
or apprant way for connecting the copper (or plastic) incoming mains to
this

Personally, I'd not use the brass adaptor or the push fit fixing. I'd use a
1/2" tap connector (usually right angle "serviceman", with built in
isolation valve), which is what toilet fill valves invariably require.

Personally, I'd use a chrome compression type to connect to chrome pipe into
the wall. I'd only switch to plastic when it wasn't in view.

If you must use push fit:

This doesn't have a valve built in, but is white, so would look better than
a grey system on modern sanitaryware.

Christian.

Toilet tank flap valve problems. buffalobill Home Repair 0 March 27th 06 12:20 PM
toilet back up nogggin Home Repair 12 February 11th 06 11:17 PM
new Kohler toilet tank leaks - is fill valve pre-installed? [email protected] Home Repair 5 July 23rd 05 03:33 AM
leaking toilet, supply line or filling valve? [email protected] Home Ownership 4 May 18th 05 08:41 PM
change washer hookup --- but no shutoff valve in sight! fixhouse Home Repair 8 December 6th 04 02:57 PM