Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default viroc cement board fixings

I've got some sheets of viroc for the bathroom - much cheaper than
aquapanel and in proper 1200x2400 size. But *very* heavy. Anyway, some
is to be fixed to timber studs, but some to metal studs and some to a
9" solid brick wall via 25mm celotex. Fixings to use ? It seems "cement
board screws" have self-drilling heads so they countersink, and are
alkali / corrosion resistant, but seem to be aimed at fixing to
timbers. What about self-tappers for the metal stud, and some longish
screw-in frame fixings (i.e. rawlplug though same hole) for fixing
through the celotex into brick ?
Best place to purchase suitable fixings ?
Thanks,
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 Aug 2006 02:54:10 -0700, "sm_jamieson" wrote:

I've got some sheets of viroc for the bathroom - much cheaper than
aquapanel and in proper 1200x2400 size. But *very* heavy. Anyway, some
is to be fixed to timber studs, but some to metal studs and some to a
9" solid brick wall via 25mm celotex. Fixings to use ? It seems "cement
board screws" have self-drilling heads so they countersink, and are
alkali / corrosion resistant, but seem to be aimed at fixing to
timbers. What about self-tappers for the metal stud, and some longish
screw-in frame fixings (i.e. rawlplug though same hole) for fixing
through the celotex into brick ?
Best place to purchase suitable fixings ?
Thanks,
Simon.

I cannot recall when I looked at the Knauf or the Knauf DIY site but I thought
the screws were for use in both timber AND metal .Have a look and see.There are
videos showing a guy fixing the panels to a metal framework
Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart wrote:
[...]

I think you are correct on that.
I still have the issue of fixing into masonry. I guess if I use the
nylon sleeved frame fixings, there will be no contact between the
cement board and the screw anyway. If I use galvanised frame fixings, I
should be OK.
Only question, are the cheapy fixings from screwfix galvanised ? They
look yellow from the picture, but it doesn't say.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:

cement board and the screw anyway. If I use galvanised frame fixings, I
should be OK.
Only question, are the cheapy fixings from screwfix galvanised ? They
look yellow from the picture, but it doesn't say.

IME galv fixings in a bathroom will rust more often than not.

cheap fixings are often bzp rather than galv, so best not to assume.
Bright zinc plated is less rust resistant.

NT