Pablo

Default Wiring Regs and Feeds to DBs

Do the regs allow two DBs to be connected in parallel protected by only one
mcb.
i.e. a cable feeds DB1 then another cable goes from DB1 to DB2 but connected
directly to the feed for DB1.

I've looked in the regs but cant seem to find anything that prohibits it.

Chris Oates

"Pablo" wrote in message
Do the regs allow two DBs to be connected in parallel protected by only

one
mcb.
i.e. a cable feeds DB1 then another cable goes from DB1 to DB2 but

connected
directly to the feed for DB1.

Our inspectors don't allow it, we must run from
separate MCBs or Henley blocks of a suitable rating.

I suspect it's the overcurrent in the terminals you are
using for paralleling

An instance we had was running a DB for emergency lighting
paralled into the lighting DB - not allowed

BigWallop

"Chris Oates" wrote in message
.. .

"Pablo" wrote in message
Do the regs allow two DBs to be connected in parallel protected by only

one
mcb.
i.e. a cable feeds DB1 then another cable goes from DB1 to DB2 but

connected
directly to the feed for DB1.

Our inspectors don't allow it, we must run from
separate MCBs or Henley blocks of a suitable rating.

I suspect it's the overcurrent in the terminals you are
using for paralleling

An instance we had was running a DB for emergency lighting
paralled into the lighting DB - not allowed

I think that you would have to install as two radials from the one breaker
unless you are running a separate heavier earth bonding to the two DB's
don't you ? Or are you allowed to use the armour of SWA Cable as your earth
link ? As you say Pablo, the book don't make any specific mention of such
an installation.

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Owain

"Pablo" wrote
| Do the regs allow two DBs to be connected in parallel protected
| by only one mcb.
| i.e. a cable feeds DB1 then another cable goes from DB1 to DB2
| but connected directly to the feed for DB1.
| I've looked in the regs but cant seem to find anything that prohibits it.

It's a very common arrangement both domestically (where the supply from the
meter is split by a 'henley block' to feed to CUs and industrially - quite
often DBs will be supplied on a ring main.

Obviously both short-circuit and overload protection have to be adequate,
and I think you'd have problems looping the cable in and out of your DB1
unless its terminals are designed physically (and rated electrically) to
accommodate it.

Owain