Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default My Matalan has gone!

Where am I going to get my cheap tee shirts & socks now :-(
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/5288662.stm

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
k...
Where am I going to get my cheap tee shirts & socks now :-(

You must be devasted, I can't think how I would manage without my Matalan!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/5288662.stm

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 11:38:28 UTC, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Where am I going to get my cheap tee shirts & socks now :-(
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/5288662.stm

Come to Canterbury!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "The Medway Handyman" contains
these words:

Where am I going to get my cheap tee shirts & socks now :-(
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/5288662.stm

I've never been in one - I'd rather not give them my name and address so
sod 'em.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message k...
Where am I going to get my cheap tee shirts & socks now :-(
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/5288662.stm

Shop at Tesco's or Adsa etc.?... :~(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
k...
Where am I going to get my cheap tee shirts & socks now :-(
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/5288662.stm

I thought Matalan was a garden cultivator and that it had been stolen or
broken down.

I think I must be mistaken.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
k...
Where am I going to get my cheap tee shirts & socks now :-(
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/5288662.stm

We drove past there today, looks like a big fire. We noticed "Police tape"
so I assume they suspect arson. I hope no one was hurt.

The is another Matalan in Maidstone- just other side of the "watery donut"
to the main town, in the block facing the river and the big car dealers
(Chrysler?).
There is a free carpark that services Matalan and Lidl (which is by
Matalan).

--
73
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Where am I going to get my cheap tee shirts & socks now :-(
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/5288662.stm

Look for some real "smoke damaged" bargains then when they glue it back
together!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thus spaketh The Medway Handyman:
Where am I going to get my cheap tee shirts & socks now :-(
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/5288662.stm

Virtually anywhere else.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg dg is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Where am I going to get my cheap tee shirts & socks now :-(
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/5288662.stm

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Must be an insurance job.
One of their stores in Birmingham went up about 10 months ago - and
reason IIRC, and its not been rebuilt since - not even demolished its
still just a mangled pile of steel.

dg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 13:14:52 +0100, Guy King wrote:

The message
from "The Medway Handyman" contains
these words:

Where am I going to get my cheap tee shirts & socks now :-(
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/5288662.stm

I've never been in one - I'd rather not give them my name and address so
sod 'em.

Yeah...Why do you need to "register" before you can buy ..what's that all about
?..It least you no longer need to pay a £1
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote in message
k...
Thus spaketh The Medway Handyman:
Where am I going to get my cheap tee shirts & socks now :-(
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/5288662.stm

Virtually anywhere else.

How many tee shirts and socks does he need?

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Reay wrote:

We drove past there today, looks like a big fire. We noticed "Police
tape" so I assume they suspect arson. I hope no one was hurt.

Apparently not, one casualty of smoke inhalation taken to hospital. News
says it was started in the stockroom. Driving past today, that area has
most damage.

The is another Matalan in Maidstone- just other side of the "watery
donut" to the main town, in the block facing the river and the big
car dealers (Chrysler?).

Dead right, near what was once the Chrysler Gearbox Plant.

There is a free carpark that services Matalan and Lidl (which is by
Matalan).

Two cheapiers in one!

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thus spaketh dg:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Where am I going to get my cheap tee shirts & socks now :-(
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/5288662.stm

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Must be an insurance job.
One of their stores in Birmingham went up about 10 months ago - and
reason IIRC, and its not been rebuilt since - not even demolished its
still just a mangled pile of steel.

dg

Many people around here believe the Birmingham one was an insurance job
too, as it wasn't used that much, as Matalan don't really have very good
prices, OK some items when on a very much reduced special offer are then
reasonably priced, but when not in a highly reduced sale their stuff is
way over-priced.

The Staples in Birmingham near the City Centre was burnt down many years
back for the same insurance job reasons.

Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Where am I going to get my cheap tee shirts & socks now :-(
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/5288662.stm

They didn't give me any credit for it, but that is my picture on the
BBC website. I think the ferocity of the fire took the emergency
services by surprise. I went down to see the fire in the morning and we
were able to get within 30 metres of it, despite the ferocity which
resulted in at least two explosions. Later in the afternoon when it had
died down, the Police had finally shut roads and cordoned off a much
larger area and they had a load of 'specials' preventing you getting
any nearer.

Dave, you will have to got to Primarni now!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-28 08:36:06 +0100, said:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Where am I going to get my cheap tee shirts & socks now :-(
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/5288662.stm

They didn't give me any credit for it, but that is my picture on the
BBC website.

Are you the one driving the fire engine?

I think the ferocity of the fire took the emergency
services by surprise. I went down to see the fire in the morning and we
were able to get within 30 metres of it, despite the ferocity which
resulted in at least two explosions. Later in the afternoon when it had
died down, the Police had finally shut roads and cordoned off a much
larger area and they had a load of 'specials' preventing you getting
any nearer.

Just like a normal day at Matalan, then....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ps.com...

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Where am I going to get my cheap tee shirts & socks now :-(
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/5288662.stm

They didn't give me any credit for it, but that is my picture on the
BBC website. I think the ferocity of the fire took the emergency
services by surprise. I went down to see the fire in the morning and we
were able to get within 30 metres of it, despite the ferocity which
resulted in at least two explosions. Later in the afternoon when it had
died down, the Police had finally shut roads and cordoned off a much
larger area and they had a load of 'specials' preventing you getting
any nearer.

As you know, it doesn't take much to totally grid lock the towns. The
redesign of the roads in Chatham will probably stop that but only because it
will be in permanent grid lock. And people wonder why Chatham is dying.

Dave, you will have to got to Primarni now!

That isn't funny as he has to visit Chatham High Street, a truely dreadful
place.

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Reay wrote:

We drove past there today, looks like a big fire. We noticed "Police
tape" so I assume they suspect arson. I hope no one was hurt.

Apparently not, one casualty of smoke inhalation taken to hospital. News
says it was started in the stockroom. Driving past today, that area has
most damage.

I'd not read the news article, let us hope he/she is OK. I've always found
that Matalan pretty good and the staff seem more helpful than you'd perhaps
expect in a "cheap" shop.

There is quite a little complex of shops in that area but Medway Council
haven't (as usual) sorted out the roads.

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian Reay
wrote

As you know, it doesn't take much to totally grid lock the towns.

Usually it's called traffic calming - it cuts down death on the roads
because no-one is travelling any faster than walking pace.

The
redesign of the roads in Chatham will probably stop that but only because it
will be in permanent grid lock. And people wonder why Chatham is dying.

I'm sure a lot of local authorities wonder why their town centres are
already dead.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , Brian Reay
wrote

As you know, it doesn't take much to totally grid lock the towns.

Usually it's called traffic calming - it cuts down death on the roads
because no-one is travelling any faster than walking pace.

So why not walk? It's very good for you!

The
redesign of the roads in Chatham will probably stop that but only because
it
will be in permanent grid lock. And people wonder why Chatham is dying.

I'm sure a lot of local authorities wonder why their town centres are
already dead.

Leeds centre is dead, it's thriving more than ever. I try to avoid it
because it has nothing I need but I occasionally have to go to the optician,
dentist, Infirmary or station etc. so I see what's going on.

What's more the traffic usually flows freely. Amazingly freely actually,
when you consider the number of vehicles of all kinds on the feeder roads.

Today our local main road will probably be crowded because of Carnival but
heck, it's a bank holiday.

I'm told. I'm busy washing, ironing, baking, cooking, gardening preparing
for going s**th on Thursday and later have to wring the necks of two young
cockerels :-(

Mary.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 16:10:44 UTC, Alan wrote:

Usually it's called traffic calming - it cuts down death on the roads
because no-one is travelling any faster than walking pace.

Apart from those who are in a blue-light ambulance, who are more likely
to die 'on the road'.

Some councils are ripping up the traffic calming, having found the cure
is worse than the disease...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Eager
wrote
On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 16:10:44 UTC, Alan wrote:

Usually it's called traffic calming - it cuts down death on the roads
because no-one is travelling any faster than walking pace.

Apart from those who are in a blue-light ambulance, who are more likely
to die 'on the road'.

The blue light, two tone, brigade are the most dangerous drivers on the
roads in the SE Essex area.

Some councils are ripping up the traffic calming, having found the cure
is worse than the disease...

I've only seen this happen once. My local council decided that it was a
good idea to put yet another set of road calming lights on a main road,
on the junction of the street where I reside. They didn't last very
long. Motorists stopped using the slow moving main road and favoured the
back street rat runs past schools.