Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default removing a chiney breast from just the lower floor

Hi

I have got a chimney breast that has already been removed from roof to
first floor we are considering moving our kitchen into out dinning room
to creat a kitchen dinner but this would require to remove the bottom
section of the chimney I have cheaked that the first floor jiosts go
through the party wall (I live in a terrace house by the way) so I
think that there is nothing resting on top of the bottom floor chimney
breast so to my belief there is little more to do than put up
adjustable acrows to support the ceiling then remove the bricks one by
one from the cieling down to the ground and fill in the hole left with
concret and dry line the walls

if this is incorrect can some one let me know how I would need to do it
?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

squelchy wrote:
Hi

I have got a chimney breast that has already been removed from roof to
first floor we are considering moving our kitchen into out dinning room
to creat a kitchen dinner but this would require to remove the bottom
section of the chimney I have cheaked that the first floor jiosts go
through the party wall (I live in a terrace house by the way) so I
think that there is nothing resting on top of the bottom floor chimney
breast so to my belief there is little more to do than put up
adjustable acrows to support the ceiling then remove the bricks one by
one from the cieling down to the ground and fill in the hole left with
concret and dry line the walls

if this is incorrect can some one let me know how I would need to do it
?

I beleive you will need Building Regs approval to remove a chimney
breast, you need to consult the Building Control dept at your local
council for advice.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

peter wrote:
squelchy wrote:

I have got a chimney breast that has already been removed from roof to first
floor so I think that there is nothing resting on top of the bottom floor chimney
breast so to my belief there is little more to do than put up
adjustable accrows to support the ceiling then remove the bricks one by one.

I believe you will need Building Regs approval to remove a chimney breast,
you need to consult the Building Control dept at your local council for advice.

It woud be in everyone else's interest if you had a word with someone
in the council tech department. But the OP is quite right in thinking
the job is simple enough.

If the previous owner removed the chimney properly he will have
replaced the joists to suit the new floor and ceiling. But even if
there are no suitable joists for the plasterboard to fix to, replacing
them will also be easy enough.

Oddly enough joists are still manufacured in full inch depths.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

"squelchy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi

I have cheaked that the first floor jiosts go
through the party wall (I live in a terrace house by the way) so I
think that there is nothing resting on top of the bottom floor chimney
breast so to my belief there is little more to do than put up
adjustable acrows to support the ceiling

I guess that if the joists do go right through the party wall then you don't
need the acrow props?