Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

Default Shaver point and illuminated mirror in bathroom

I need to move a shaver point from one wall to another and install an
illuminated mirror above it in the bathroom. I assume Part P applies.

The present shaver point has a light built in and is wired straight off
the lighting circuit. Would this be acceptable in the new location or
should it be on a fused spur? If so, can the FCU be in the bathroom
close up to the ceiling or must it be outside?

--
Frank
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:

I need to move a shaver point from one wall to another and install an
illuminated mirror above it in the bathroom. I assume Part P applies.

Yes - assuming you are in England or Wales and it's a domestic
bathroom.

The present shaver point has a light built in and is wired straight off
the lighting circuit. Would this be acceptable in the new location or
should it be on a fused spur? If so, can the FCU be in the bathroom
close up to the ceiling or must it be outside?

No FCU is required. Shaver supply units can be wired straight into a
lighting circuit.

Make sure that the shaver point contains an isolating transformer as
it is going into a bathroom.

John
--
John White,
Electrical Contractor
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I need to move a shaver point from one wall to another and install an
illuminated mirror above it in the bathroom. I assume Part P applies.

Definitely. Consider using a small mirror heater pad as well. Great things
and not that expensive. Switch it with the mirror light.

http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/s...Demisters.html

The present shaver point has a light built in and is wired straight off
the lighting circuit. Would this be acceptable in the new location or
should it be on a fused spur?

It is acceptable straight off the circuit.

If so, can the FCU be in the bathroom close up to the ceiling or must
it be outside?

You don't need one.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

On 25/08/2006 10:30 John White wrote:

No FCU is required. Shaver supply units can be wired straight into a
lighting circuit.

Good! I was going to wire it (have it wired!) from the switched side of
the illuminated mirror so that it came on when the mirror light was on -
I assume that if it's wired in directly to the lighting circuit it'll be
drawing current all the time?

Make sure that the shaver point contains an isolating transformer as
it is going into a bathroom.

Screwfix 61532. No mention of an isolating transformer. I assumed (not
always a good idea, I know) it would be ok as shaver sockets are fitted
in bathrooms...

Thanks for the help.

--
Frank
Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

On 25/08/2006 11:12 Christian McArdle wrote:

Consider using a small mirror heater pad as well. Great things
and not that expensive. Switch it with the mirror light.

http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/s...Demisters.html

Neat and a good idea. The illuminated mirror is one from B&Q with two
fluorescent lights built in behind the mirror. I'll investigate to see
if I can get the heater pad in there.

Thanks for the help and suggestion.

--
Frank

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 11:43:17 +0100, F wrote:

On 25/08/2006 10:30 John White wrote:

No FCU is required. Shaver supply units can be wired straight into a
lighting circuit.

Good! I was going to wire it (have it wired!) from the switched side of
the illuminated mirror so that it came on when the mirror light was on -
I assume that if it's wired in directly to the lighting circuit it'll be
drawing current all the time?

It will, but the consumption is negligible - about the same as a
doorbell transformer.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Good! I was going to wire it (have it wired!) from the switched side of
the illuminated mirror so that it came on when the mirror light was on - I
assume that if it's wired in directly to the lighting circuit it'll be
drawing current all the time?

Nope. It will draw almost no current when not in use. No need to run it from
a switched circuit.

Make sure that the shaver point contains an isolating transformer as
it is going into a bathroom.

Screwfix 61532. No mention of an isolating transformer. I assumed (not
always a good idea, I know) it would be ok as shaver sockets are fitted in
bathrooms...

It does have one. Clues that it has a transformer are that it has
multi-voltage and is the size of a double socket (but much deeper). Non
isolated ones are the size of a light switch and are 230V only.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"F" wrote in message
[...]

Some Shaver sockets are designed for use in dressing rooms etc. (or
outside the UK), these units do not have the 1:1 transformer and no
auto switching - both a UK requirement.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

On 25/08/2006 12:02 Christian McArdle wrote:

Clues that it has a transformer are that it has
multi-voltage and is the size of a double socket (but much deeper). Non
isolated ones are the size of a light switch and are 230V only.

Ah! I had seen the transformer but didn't know that it was an isolating
transformer. You learn something new every day. Thanks.

--
Frank
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:

If so, can the FCU be in the bathroom
close up to the ceiling or must it be outside?

To answer this specific point (even though in this case you don't need
one), yes FCUs can be use in a bathroom in Zone 3 (or outside the zones
if the room is that big).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
F wrote:
Screwfix 61532. No mention of an isolating transformer. I assumed (not
always a good idea, I know) it would be ok as shaver sockets are fitted
in bathrooms...

They can also be fitted in bedrooms where an isolating transformer isn't
mandatory. I'd check if I were you. Cost is often a guide - isolated ones
cost quite a bit more.

--
*Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.