Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electrical standards

Is there any electrical standards I can refer to regarding a house built
in Scotland in 1999 and the use of standard interior lights for an
outdoor porch exposed to the elements? These are downlighters and it
seems like poor design

Also anything covering the wiring of interior lights where the light is
in a top floor - ie the wiring runs through the roof cavity. An engineer
has said that the wiring needs joint boxes for waterproofing and also
earthing requirements

thanks
--
Craig Cockburn ("coburn"). M.Sc., CITP, CEng
Owner, http://www.siliconglen.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Craig Cockburn wrote:

Is there any electrical standards I can refer to regarding a house built
in Scotland in 1999 and the use of standard interior lights for an
outdoor porch exposed to the elements? These are downlighters and it
seems like poor design

Also anything covering the wiring of interior lights where the light is
in a top floor - ie the wiring runs through the roof cavity. An engineer
has said that the wiring needs joint boxes for waterproofing and also
earthing requirements

thanks

1. re the porch light, if its an indoor fitting and it gets water
spray, just replace it. Gonna be way quicker and cheaper than what
youre suggesting.

2. re the roof wiring, sounds unlikely to me. At least I cant imagine a
scenario where youd need waterproof wiring under a house roof.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Craig Cockburn wrote:

Is there any electrical standards I can refer to regarding a house built
in Scotland in 1999 and the use of standard interior lights for an
outdoor porch exposed to the elements? These are downlighters and it
seems like poor design

Also anything covering the wiring of interior lights where the light is
in a top floor - ie the wiring runs through the roof cavity. An engineer
has said that the wiring needs joint boxes for waterproofing and also
earthing requirements

thanks

1. re the porch light, if its an indoor fitting and it gets water
spray, just replace it. Gonna be way quicker and cheaper than what
youre suggesting.

2. re the roof wiring, sounds unlikely to me. At least I cant imagine a
scenario where youd need waterproof wiring under a house roof.
'earthing requirements' is too vague to comment on.

NT