Posted to uk.d-i-y
L L is offline

Default Advice on choosing a radiator

Hi there,

Due to a leak, we've removed a large radiator (1400mm x 600mm) from our
attic bedroom. It was attached to the wooden beams that I'm assuming
(complete DIY idiot here, sorry) support the roof (+ false ceiling),
and the plasterboard wall that blocks off the eaves.

The radiator was *really* heavy (steel I assume?), and just seems *too*
heavy for the two not-very-big screws holding it to the two
not-very-big, load-bearing (is that the right word?) beams.

Which (finally) leads me to my question! Is there such a thing as a
'lightweight radiator'? Can you get really flat ones, or aluminium
ones, or something else along these lines?

I've looked online, but not found much, other than weird-shaped
'designer' ones, or ones designed for bathrooms.

I don't know if I'm worrying about nothing, but since the rest of the
house seems like it was renovated by chimps (it was converted from a
shop by the guy we bought it from, and he's left us *lots* of nasty
surprises), I'm really bothered that the radiator is just too heavy for
where and how it's fixed.

Any adivce would be much appreciated!

Thanks, Lin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"L" wrote:
[...]

I am not aware of lightweight radiators. You don't say whether the radiator
is a double or single panel. The only options to reduce weight I am aware of
are to replace a double panel with a single panel, or to replace with a
smaller radiator. These options will result in less heat output, and may
involve moving the pipes. You may have to move the pipes anyway if 1400mm x
600mm panels are no longer available. You don't say how thick and wide the
beams are; will they take larger screws and can the beams be reinforced with
additional timber? Obviously the fixings need to support both the radiator
and the water. Did the radiator leak from the panel or from a valve, a joint
between a pipe and valve, or between a valve and the radiator? If the leak
was from the panel, due to a rust hole *penetrating* through, the cause of
this inside to outside corrosion needs to be investigated as all your
radiators could develop the same problem. If the leak was from a compression
joint or valve then these can usually be fixed by slight tightening.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Aug 2006 10:02:37 -0700, "L" wrote:

[...]

alurad.com do some ordinary looking aluminium radiators.

Cold Radiator Kroma UK diy 4 December 3rd 05 10:26 PM
Using a standard radiator as an electric towel radiator [email protected] UK diy 5 October 11th 05 11:41 AM
Remove radiator on a combi system Chris S UK diy 8 October 2nd 04 12:53 AM
Can I have the heating on with radiator removed Steve Graham UK diy 48 April 23rd 04 11:30 PM
Radiator valve to radiator tail coupling Lee Wright UK diy 1 August 22nd 03 10:11 AM