Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Timber Definitions

I understand PAR and sawn timber, but wandering around B&Q the other
day - well it was raining - I came across "scant".

What is scant and what can it be used for?

I have to construct a light roof over a passage between the garage and
shed and wondered if this could be used - it is cheaper than sawn
carcass for the same dims.

Is this suitable?

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message . com
from "80/20" contains these words:

Is this suitable?

Yes, no trouble. Provided the size is OK for any joist hangers or
whatever you're using. It's sort of half way between sawn and CLS.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"80/20" wrote in message
ups.com...
I understand PAR and sawn timber, but wandering around B&Q the other
day - well it was raining - I came across "scant".

What is scant and what can it be used for?

I have to construct a light roof over a passage between the garage and
shed and wondered if this could be used - it is cheaper than sawn
carcass for the same dims.

Is this suitable?

Steve

===================
I think this is the same stuff that Wickes sell under a different name /
description. As far as I know it's an inferior grade PAR timber and the corners
are planed off for some reason. It appears to come in short lengths and small
sizes only (about 6 feet / 3" x 2"). At least that's all I've seen in Wickes.
I've used some for shelving uprights in my shed and it still looks OK after
about 5 years.

Your proposed use (light roof) shouldn't be a problem if you can get suitable
lengths.

Cic.

It has removed 276 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cicero wrote:

I think this is the same stuff that Wickes sell under a different
name / description. As far as I know it's an inferior grade PAR
timber and the corners are planed off for some reason.

I think its intended for studwork.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:
The message . com
from "80/20" contains these
words:

Is this suitable?

Yes, no trouble. Provided the size is OK for any joist hangers or
whatever you're using. It's sort of half way between sawn and CLS.

Wot CLS stand for? Often wondered.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

80/20 wrote:
I understand PAR and sawn timber, but wandering around B&Q the other
day - well it was raining - I came across "scant".

What is scant and what can it be used for?

I have to construct a light roof over a passage between the garage and
shed and wondered if this could be used - it is cheaper than sawn
carcass for the same dims.

Is this suitable?

Steve

Thanks folks for your quick answers.

Yes it is a light roof - Onduline Corrugated sheets.

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
k...
Cicero wrote:

I think this is the same stuff that Wickes sell under a different
name / description. As far as I know it's an inferior grade PAR
timber and the corners are planed off for some reason.

I think its intended for studwork.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

===================
It must be available in longer lengths than I've seen then as 6' isn't much use
for studwork. Maybe Wickes just buy the stuff that nobody else wants. Is there
any particular reason why the corners are planed off?

Cic.

It has removed 276 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "The Medway Handyman" contains
these words:

Wot CLS stand for? Often wondered.

Canadian (or Construction, depending on who you believe) Lumber Standard.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message .com
from "80/20" contains these words:

Yes it is a light roof - Onduline Corrugated sheets.

Make sure they're well supported or they'll undulate very soon.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-17 21:46:50 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Guy King wrote:
The message . com
from "80/20" contains these
words:

Is this suitable?

Yes, no trouble. Provided the size is OK for any joist hangers or
whatever you're using. It's sort of half way between sawn and CLS.

Wot CLS stand for? Often wondered.

Canadian Lumber Standard.

Also, if you go to a timber yard dealing predominantly in construction
timbers, it is known as "regularised", although that usually means
pressure treated as well.

There's a Travis Perkins near here that does more or less only this and
has good quality stock that can be picked through anyway to avoid
bananas. Take a section through this and it's obvious that it has
been pressure treated - dye has penetrated quite some way into the
timber. Not the case with offerings from Wickes, B&Q et al.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cicero wrote:

Is there
any particular reason why the corners are planed off?

Interfering busybodies (aka Heath and Safety) - to stop poor didums
joiners getting splinters. Well, that's what I was told.

R.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cicero wrote:

Is there
any particular reason why the corners are planed off?

Interfering busybodies (aka Heath and Safety) - to stop poor didums
joiners getting splinters. Well, that's what I was told.

R.

The other explanation is that with relatively smooth surfaces and
corners, the rate of spread of fire across the surface is reduced.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

CLS
There's a Travis Perkins near here that does more or less only this

My local independent timber yard reckons it's getting increasingly hard
to get anything else. Thinking about it, it's a lot nicer to handle, the
sizes are more predictable and accurate and it's easier to measure
accurately for lapjoints etc.
It's also a good deal easier to sort through to chuck out the bananawood
that every bundle seems to have. I've got a bit sawn off the side of a
bit of 4x2 which you could use as a hockeystick.

Given the size of the plant (!) that produces lumber these days it's
probably very little extra hassle to put another machine in the line.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

The other explanation is that with relatively smooth surfaces and
corners, the rate of spread of fire across the surface is reduced.

I've just emailed the Canadian Lumber Standards Accreditation Board and
asked 'em.

Wonder if they'll know!

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-17 23:26:39 +0100, Guy King said:

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

CLS
There's a Travis Perkins near here that does more or less only this

My local independent timber yard reckons it's getting increasingly hard
to get anything else. Thinking about it, it's a lot nicer to handle, the
sizes are more predictable and accurate and it's easier to measure
accurately for lapjoints etc.

Certainly for constructional work, I think that that's true. There
seems to be CLS in smaller sizes that is not pressure treated, but the
larger stuff is.

I tend to buy the larger stuff and then rip, plane and thickness it to
the required sizes

You can also get joinery grade timber, but that's a different thing entirely.

It's also a good deal easier to sort through to chuck out the bananawood
that every bundle seems to have. I've got a bit sawn off the side of a
bit of 4x2 which you could use as a hockeystick.

Given the size of the plant (!) that produces lumber these days it's
probably very little extra hassle to put another machine in the line.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-18 00:05:02 +0100, Guy King said:

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

The other explanation is that with relatively smooth surfaces and
corners, the rate of spread of fire across the surface is reduced.

I've just emailed the Canadian Lumber Standards Accreditation Board and
asked 'em.

Wonder if they'll know!

I should think so.

Have a look at

http://irc.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/pubs/cbd/cbd045_e.html

and the general notes at the bottom where there is a comment that
smooth hard surfaces spread fire much less quickly than soft fuzzy ones
(there's inuendo there somewhere).

At any rate, it's probably not a good idea to suggest to a an
organisation in the lumber production industry that the reason is
because they are pussies. Generally these are big guys with hard
hats, lumberjack check shirts and chain saws..... :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

At any rate, it's probably not a good idea to suggest to a an
organisation in the lumber production industry that the reason is
because they are pussies. Generally these are big guys with hard
hats, lumberjack check shirts and chain saws..... :-)

Who, fortunately, are the other side of the Atlantic!

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

Certainly for constructional work, I think that that's true. There
seems to be CLS in smaller sizes that is not pressure treated, but the
larger stuff is.

There's a lot about it here...
http://www.clsab.ca/clsab.pdf

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

You can also get joinery grade timber, but that's a different thing
entirely.

Thanks for reminding me - I must ring the woodyard and ask where the
cedar for my conservatory door's got to!

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Guy King wrote:
The message . com
from "80/20" contains these
words:

Is this suitable?

Yes, no trouble. Provided the size is OK for any joist hangers or
whatever you're using. It's sort of half way between sawn and CLS.

Wot CLS stand for? Often wondered.

A joiner once told me that it meant "Cannae layit straight" (Say it with
a broad Scottish accent like mine :~)

Well, it amused me!

Gerry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is there any particular reason why the corners are planed off?

Yes, it is great. You can slide the entire length over ungloved hands
without needing to find your tweezers. Much nicer to work with.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Christian McArdle wrote:
Is there any particular reason why the corners are planed off?

Yes, it is great. You can slide the entire length over ungloved hands
without needing to find your tweezers. Much nicer to work with.

Christian.

I think this is what the Canadians used to term "SPF" i.e. it could be
anything within the spruce, pine, or fir categories. One of the reasons
it's only used for construction is that it blunts cutters quickly and
finishes badly. The sheds have used it for skirting etc in recent years
but it's pretty poor quality compared to the European Redwood you'd get
from a pukka merchant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Hall writes
On 2006-08-17 21:46:50 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Guy King wrote:
The message . com
from "80/20" contains these
words:

Is this suitable?
Yes, no trouble. Provided the size is OK for any joist hangers or
whatever you're using. It's sort of half way between sawn and CLS.

Wot CLS stand for? Often wondered.

Canadian Lumber Standard.

Also, if you go to a timber yard dealing predominantly in construction
timbers, it is known as "regularised", although that usually means
pressure treated as well.

There's a Travis Perkins near here that does more or less only this and
has good quality stock that can be picked through anyway to avoid
bananas. Take a section through this and it's obvious that it has
been pressure treated - dye has penetrated quite some way into the
timber. Not the case with offerings from Wickes, B&Q et al.

I believe the CLS started being imported a few years ago only in some
weird "standard" sizes, 63x38mm ISTR (2.5"x1.5"). Local yard only
stocked in 2.4m lengths.
Then all the 2x3, 2x4 etc carcassing timber went to the "regularised"
standard, which amounts to the same as CLS, i.e. planed and round
corners for safer handling. Still nominal 2x3, 2x4* etc, but actually a
tad smaller due to the planing. Certainly available in long lengths to
at least 3.6m in a good yard. Although round here its not treated as
Andy mentions above. The C16 treated is still square and sawn finish.
YMMV.

(*OK, 75x47, 100x47)
--
steve