Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Working with insulated plasterboard

Hi

Have just started putting up plasterboard, backed with foil and 1.25"
expanded polystytrene. First board is up, but was bloody awkward
compared with normal pb. Never used this newfangled stuff before...

Before I crack on tomorrow - any tips on How To Do it? It doesn't seem
to want to 'score'n snap' like 'naked' pb, do you just have to saw it?
Awkward pruning the stuff to size, being a composite material: anybody
experienced with it care to share so I might save some time?

Cheers
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
Hi

Have just started putting up plasterboard, backed with foil and 1.25"
expanded polystytrene. First board is up, but was bloody awkward
compared with normal pb. Never used this newfangled stuff before...

Before I crack on tomorrow - any tips on How To Do it? It doesn't seem
to want to 'score'n snap' like 'naked' pb, do you just have to saw it?
Awkward pruning the stuff to size, being a composite material: anybody
experienced with it care to share so I might save some time?

Cheers
David

I had this stuff fitted to a loft bedroom when I bought my house in 1982. It
provided insufficient vapour barrier and domestic water vapour condensed on
the cold side and dripped back through and helped start roof joist rot. The
whole lot had to come down and redone with a proper vapour barrier

Make absolutely sure that there is adequate vapour barrier other wise you
might have similar problems.
I'd say don't use it at all but you are possibly committed now and
hopefully not too late to take precautions.

As for cutting the stuff, how about using a jack saw to cut from the
polystyrene side until you just score the foil, then crack as usual
finishing with a stanley knife from the 'good' side.

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
"Lobster" wrote in message
Hi

Have just started putting up plasterboard, backed with foil and 1.25"
expanded polystytrene. First board is up, but was bloody awkward
compared with normal pb. Never used this newfangled stuff before...

Before I crack on tomorrow - any tips on How To Do it? It doesn't seem
to want to 'score'n snap' like 'naked' pb, do you just have to saw it?
Awkward pruning the stuff to size, being a composite material: anybody
experienced with it care to share so I might save some time?

I had this stuff fitted to a loft bedroom when I bought my house in 1982. It
provided insufficient vapour barrier and domestic water vapour condensed on
the cold side and dripped back through and helped start roof joist rot. The
whole lot had to come down and redone with a proper vapour barrier

Oo-er. Did your plasterboard have foil backing? or inadequate? I have
a sandwich of kingspan between the rafters - which I reckon fits pretty
well - followed by an overlay of this insulation-backed board.
Obviously the kingspan has foil both sides, and the pb is foil-backed; I
originally thought I'd line the whole room with vapour barrier between
the kingspan and polystyrene but decided that would have been overkill
under the circumstances. Bad decision then?

David