Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The top part of the door ???

OK, being as this is the best damn newsgroup out there FACT. I thought
i'd look for some help again.
I live in a 1900's mid terrace and the inside main door has a section
above it with a window in it. (have no idea what this is called) The
window above the door has a sort of pully system (thats missing most
parts and hasn't been used for a Loooooong time) that opens the window.
My question is - does anyone know where i can buy the parts for this?
What is this called? Am I making sense ?

Cheers

Joe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JoeFaeGlesga" wrote in message
oups.com...
OK, being as this is the best damn newsgroup out there FACT. I thought
i'd look for some help again.
I live in a 1900's mid terrace and the inside main door has a section
above it with a window in it. (have no idea what this is called) The
window above the door has a sort of pully system (thats missing most
parts and hasn't been used for a Loooooong time) that opens the window.
My question is - does anyone know where i can buy the parts for this?
What is this called? Am I making sense ?

Cheers

Joe.

think the top window is called a fan light,we had one in our old house about
the same age, but didn't have the opening section to it

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JoeFaeGlesga" wrote in message
oups.com...
OK, being as this is the best damn newsgroup out there FACT. I

thought
i'd look for some help again.
I live in a 1900's mid terrace and the inside main door has a

section
above it with a window in it. (have no idea what this is called) The
window above the door has a sort of pully system (thats missing most
parts and hasn't been used for a Loooooong time) that opens the

window.
My question is - does anyone know where i can buy the parts for

this?
What is this called? Am I making sense ?

Cheers

Joe.

Joe,

It's called a "transom window" and often they are top hung, with a
geared quadrant that opens and closes it by pulling on a rope or
sometime by turning a handle that turns a long shaft. I have a rope
operated version in a 1970's flat I let out so they were still
available then. Any good quality architectural ironmonger should be
able to get you fixed up even if by special order.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JoeFaeGlesga" wrote in message
oups.com...
OK, being as this is the best damn newsgroup out there FACT. I thought
i'd look for some help again.
I live in a 1900's mid terrace and the inside main door has a section
above it with a window in it. (have no idea what this is called)

The word 'light' (not to be confused with 'lamp') is a synomym for 'window'
Arky ^W ... Archyteches^W .... Those in the know call the light you've
described as a 'Transom Light'; transom: a window above a door that is
usually hinged to a horizontal crosspiece over the door. However most
'transom lights' in England are divided into segments - watch for reporters
outside Downing Street - representative of a fan and so are frequently
termed 'fanlights' in English.

The
window above the door has a sort of pully system (thats missing most
parts and hasn't been used for a Loooooong time) that opens the window.

Dunno!

My question is - does anyone know where i can buy the parts for this?
What is this called? Am I making sense ?

'Transom light opening/closing kit? ....

Cheers

Joe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeFaeGlesga wrote:
OK, being as this is the best damn newsgroup out there FACT. I thought
i'd look for some help again.
I live in a 1900's mid terrace and the inside main door has a section
above it with a window in it. (have no idea what this is called) The
window above the door has a sort of pully system (thats missing most
parts and hasn't been used for a Loooooong time) that opens the window.
My question is - does anyone know where i can buy the parts for this?
What is this called? Am I making sense ?

"Transom" window springs to mind..

Cheers

Joe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JoeFaeGlesga" wrote in message
My question is - does anyone know where i can buy the parts for this?
What is this called? Am I making sense ?

Cheers

Joe.

This is what you want
http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/P...2726_7814.aspx

Toby

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
JoeFaeGlesga wrote:
I live in a 1900's mid terrace and the inside main door has a section
above it with a window in it. (have no idea what this is called)

If it were an outside door I'd say a fanlight. An inside one, a borrowed
light.

The window above the door has a sort of pully system (thats missing most
parts and hasn't been used for a Loooooong time) that opens the window.
My question is - does anyone know where i can buy the parts for this?
What is this called? Am I making sense ?

Yes - had them at the school I went to. Operated by an endless cord.

Dunno if they're still made, though

--
*Organized Crime Is Alive And Well; It's Called Auto Insurance.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.