Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Brick shed cost

Ian Cornish wrote:
OP may also need planning permission, as it is not a "temporary
structure", and would be wise to consult with planning department.
In addition, I'd say Building Control inspections may be needed.

planning will need to be informed as a precaution more than anything else,
BC won't be interested in the slightest unless someone intends living in it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 21:15:43 GMT, "Phil L"

Hi all.
Does anyone have any idea what what be a reasonable cost to have a
brick shed built in my back garden? Say 7 foot square about the same
height.
TIA

Mark

Hi Phil, thanks for your reply.

That's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string.

Some questions that need straight answers:

1) What, if anything, is in the place where the shed is to be built?

Nothing.

2) What do you want the shed for? -

Keep stuff in :-)

does it require electricity? -

No.

what
kind of floor etc?

Concrete slab would do.

3) What type of roof are you hoping to have?

Corregated aluminium, or such.

4 ) Windows?

One.

5) Doors?

One.

6) Why does it have to be brick? - block is much cheaper and quicker
and can be rendered and painted or pebbledashed or tyroleaned.

I like brick, more to the point so does the Mrs.

What is the ground like that it is to be built on? -if it's
currently flowerbeds etc, these will have to be excavated and roots
removed prior to concrete, if it's lawn then simply removing the
turf is sufficient preparation.

Yes, just turf.
Thanks again.

Minimal work to erect then....you will need:
1 skip £120
Three m3 of concrete £170
1000 bricks, and depending on the size and colour etc these can range from
£700 to infinity, expect to pay around £800 to have them laid.
sand/cement about £50
roof timbers about £100
window £150
door £200 (inc fittings)
roof materials £100
sundries £100
Labour (without brickwork) about £1500

Grand total = £3990

I'd be surprised if you could get it built for much less than this, but it
depends on the bricks you choose.

The floor could be dropped in in one big slab, but it needs to be at least
150mm thick at the edges and about 100mm thick for the actual floor, this
means digging and barrowing, if you got the slab ready yourself, you could
knock a large lump off this price.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:

Me too, but the OP stipulated bricks....it would be *much* cheaper to do
with blocks, not to mention quicker, and if thermalite or pummice blocks
were used, it'd be warmer than bricks too.

I personally don't think that there is much diff between the two. Okay
blocks are cheaper to buy and lay but need rendering/ decorating which
offsets this initial saving.
Regards
Legin

Wiring the garden shed Declan UK diy 1 January 9th 06 11:34 AM
AFUE, HSPF and COP, how do they relate? [email protected] Home Ownership 37 February 23rd 05 04:03 PM
New gas furnace time [email protected] Home Repair 22 February 19th 05 03:19 AM
Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Home Ownership 50 April 2nd 04 04:55 PM
Has my brick got dry rot? BigWallop UK diy 0 September 8th 03 05:15 PM