Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Surform

Hi

Anyone still use one of these? They used to be a 'must have' but I haven't
used one for years. Are they any good these days?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Anyone still use one of these? They used to be a 'must have' but I haven't
used one for years. Are they any good these days?

I have one which I use exclusively for trimming the edges of
plasterboard to fit the space I want it to!

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Anyone still use one of these? They used to be a 'must have' but I
haven't used one for years. Are they any good these days?

I've always found them a disappointment. Never use mine these days.

--
*Money isn't everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Anyone still use one of these? They used to be a 'must have' but I
haven't used one for years. Are they any good these days?

I've always found them a disappointment. Never use mine these days.

You're supposed to use a sharp blade.

I use mine quite often to take a few thin shavings off the sides of wood ie
when doors become stuck in the hole. :-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
I've always found them a disappointment. Never use mine these days.

You're supposed to use a sharp blade.

It is - and I have a new spare.

I use mine quite often to take a few thin shavings off the sides of wood
ie when doors become stuck in the hole. :-)

I'd use the electric plane these days. But before, a sharp ordinary plane
was still better than a Sureform.

--
*Prepositions are not words to end sentences with *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Aug 2006 15:12:59 GMT, Huge wrote:

|On 2006-08-05, The Medway Handyman wrote:
| Hi
|
| Anyone still use one of these? They used to be a 'must have' but I haven't
| used one for years. Are they any good these days?
|
|I use mine a fair amount. Especially since I bought a new blade
|for it.

Mine gets lots of use. Great for rough work on wood, I also got a new
blade when the old one was knackered. I also have one with a plastic body
which is not as good as the old metal one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Anyone still use one of these? They used to be a 'must have' but I haven't
used one for years. Are they any good these days?

I have three, and use them often - in the kitchen. They're great for
shaving cheese, chocolate, removing the rind from citrus fruits, etc.

I don't remember the last time I used the one in my toolbox.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message k
from "The Medway Handyman" contains
these words:

Anyone still use one of these?

Yes. Not all that often, but there's the odd occasion when they're just
the right tool. Surprisingly good at cutting across the end grain for
trimming through-tenons after assembly.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-05 20:36:21 +0100, S Viemeister

said:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Anyone still use one of these? They used to be a 'must have' but I
haven't used one for years. Are they any good these days?

I have three, and use them often - in the kitchen. They're great for
shaving cheese, chocolate, removing the rind from citrus fruits, etc.

I don't remember the last time I used the one in my toolbox.

Conversely, there is a range of tools made by Microplane

http://microplane.com

which are on the same principle but an order of magnitude better than
the Surform.

There are a number for woodworking including planes, rasps, drums -
even a replacement blade for a Surform that makes it worth using.

Then there are a selection of kitchen graters and a personal care
product for removing cheese from other places.

Be very careful - these are razor sharp - got my daughter to bring some
rotary discs back from USA. She decided too touch one - as I had told her
they were very sharp - she only did it the once............

PhilC

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-05 20:36:21 +0100, S Viemeister

said:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

[...]

Oh I know

That's why they are good.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 5 Aug 2006 23:04:57 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

Leaving the cheese aside for a second, my wife has really bad problems
with her heels - cracked, split etc. If you have this problem, have
you tried Flexitol? Works really well when pretty much everything
else has failed.

I find Scholl "Cracked Heel Cream" pretty effective for that, but it
does pong like old-fashioned Germoline.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-05 21:55:59 +0100, Guy King said:

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

which are on the same principle but an order of magnitude better than
the Surform.

My brother has a cheese grater (hard cheese - parmesan, that sort of
thing) which had round holes in it which appear to have been burred at
the edges with a reamer or some such. It's wickedly sharp. I wish I had
one to do my heels with.

Leaving the cheese aside for a second, my wife has really bad problems
with her heels - cracked, split etc. If you have this problem, have
you tried Flexitol? Works really well when pretty much everything
else has failed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

Leaving the cheese aside for a second, my wife has really bad problems
with her heels - cracked, split etc. If you have this problem, have
you tried Flexitol? Works really well when pretty much everything
else has failed.

Hasn't worked yet - but I've only been using it for a few days. During
the winter I have lovely soft feet, but this summer I've been in sandals
since late May and my heels have really suffered from it. Showering
instead of baths doesn't help, either - no chance for a really good long
soak.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-05 22:51:48 +0100, Frank Erskine

wrote:

Leaving the cheese aside for a second, my wife has really bad problems
with her heels - cracked, split etc. If you have this problem, have
you tried Flexitol? Works really well when pretty much everything
else has failed.

I find Scholl "Cracked Heel Cream" pretty effective for that, but it
does pong like old-fashioned Germoline.

Yep. tried that one - one of the many including lanolin, you name it...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

I have three, and use them often - in the kitchen. They're great for
shaving cheese, chocolate, removing the rind from citrus fruits, etc.

I don't remember the last time I used the one in my toolbox.

Conversely, there is a range of tools made by Microplane

http://microplane.com

which are on the same principle but an order of magnitude better than
the Surform.

There are a number for woodworking including planes, rasps, drums - even
a replacement blade for a Surform that makes it worth using.

Then there are a selection of kitchen graters and a personal care
product for removing cheese from other places.

But whereas the latter can be bought in Europe, the (appalling) website
says that woodworking tools are not avaialable -- though the US bit of
the website offers a load of tools. Anyone know why?

Douglas de Lacey
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-05 22:51:48 +0100, Frank Erskine

wrote:

Leaving the cheese aside for a second, my wife has really bad
problems with her heels - cracked, split etc. If you have this
problem, have you tried Flexitol? Works really well when pretty
much everything else has failed.

I find Scholl "Cracked Heel Cream" pretty effective for that, but it
does pong like old-fashioned Germoline.

Yep. tried that one - one of the many including lanolin, you name it...]

OK that's enough... can we close this thread now please???
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-06 08:33:53 +0100, Douglas de Lacey said:

Andy Hall wrote:

[...]

So I just discovered. No I don't. I did buy some a few months ago
from Axminster but they seem to be gone from their site.

From Microplane International's site, it seems that they are not
currently available anywhere in Europe.

I've emailed them to ask why.

Generally, though, this type of issue is one of a few things:

- Patent infringement/dispute.

- Product liability issue.

- Lack of sales.

If the worst comes to the worst, their stuff can be ordered from
Woodcraft, Rockler and others in the U.S.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-05 22:51:48 +0100, Frank Erskine

wrote:

Leaving the cheese aside for a second, my wife has really bad problems
with her heels - cracked, split etc. If you have this problem, have
you tried Flexitol? Works really well when pretty much everything
else has failed.

I find Scholl "Cracked Heel Cream" pretty effective for that, but it
does pong like old-fashioned Germoline.

Yep. tried that one - one of the many including lanolin, you name it...]

OK that's enough... can we close this thread now please???

Feeling squeamish? ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
.uk...
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Anyone still use one of these? They used to be a 'must have' but I
haven't used one for years. Are they any good these days?

I've always found them a disappointment. Never use mine these days.

You're supposed to use a sharp blade.

Blade? He didn't know you were supposed to have one in it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-05 20:36:21 +0100, S Viemeister said:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Anyone still use one of these? They used to be a 'must have' but I
haven't used one for years. Are they any good these days?

I have three, and use them often - in the kitchen. They're great for
shaving cheese, chocolate, removing the rind from citrus fruits, etc.

I don't remember the last time I used the one in my toolbox.

Conversely, there is a range of tools made by Microplane

http://microplane.com

which are on the same principle but an order of magnitude better than
the Surform.

There are a number for woodworking including planes, rasps, drums -
even a replacement blade for a Surform that makes it worth using.

Then there are a selection of kitchen graters and a personal care
product for removing cheese from other places.

Thank you, that just reminded me of that scene in The Throwback by Tom Sharp

Must read it again.
Rick... (The other Rick)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-05 22:51:48 +0100, Frank Erskine

wrote:

Leaving the cheese aside for a second, my wife has really bad problems
with her heels - cracked, split etc. If you have this problem, have
you tried Flexitol? Works really well when pretty much everything
else has failed.

I find Scholl "Cracked Heel Cream" pretty effective for that, but it
does pong like old-fashioned Germoline.

Yep. tried that one - one of the many including lanolin, you name it...]

=======================
Try 'Melrose' - ancient but effective.

Cic.

----
It has removed 180 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-06 08:33:53 +0100, Douglas de Lacey said:

Andy Hall wrote:

[...]

From Microplane International's site, it seems that they are not
currently available anywhere in Europe.

I've emailed them to ask why.

Generally, though, this type of issue is one of a few things:

- Patent infringement/dispute.

- Product liability issue.

- Lack of sales.

If the worst comes to the worst, their stuff can be ordered from
Woodcraft, Rockler and others in the U.S.

I bought mine from Rockler - had them sent to friend in USA daughter
collected from them

PhilC

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-05 22:51:48 +0100, Frank Erskine

wrote:

Leaving the cheese aside for a second, my wife has really bad problems
with her heels - cracked, split etc. If you have this problem, have
you tried Flexitol? Works really well when pretty much everything
else has failed.

I find Scholl "Cracked Heel Cream" pretty effective for that, but it
does pong like old-fashioned Germoline.

Yep. tried that one - one of the many including lanolin, you name it...]

Try shea butter - there is a seller in Scotland on Ebay - it's a solid that
melts with body heat. It's natural/organic and my wife swears by it

PhilC

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "PhilC" contains these words:

Try shea butter - there is a seller in Scotland on Ebay - it's a solid that
melts with body heat. It's natural/organic and my wife swears by it

I think I'll just stick to the Dremel.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-06 08:33:53 +0100, Douglas de Lacey said:

But whereas the latter can be bought in Europe, the (appalling) website
says that woodworking tools are not avaialable -- though the US bit of
the website offers a load of tools. Anyone know why?

Douglas de Lacey

So I just discovered. No I don't. I did buy some a few months ago
from Axminster but they seem to be gone from their site.

From Microplane International's site, it seems that they are not
currently available anywhere in Europe.

I've emailed them to ask why.

I've just had a reply listing four dealers

Tilgear - couldn't find a web site
Turner's Retreat - products not listed
Carroll Tools http://www.carrolltools.com/index2.html Products listed
Craft Supplies http://www.craft-supplies.co.uk Products listed

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Guy King wrote:
Try shea butter - there is a seller in Scotland on Ebay - it's a solid
that melts with body heat. It's natural/organic and my wife swears by
it

I think I'll just stick to the Dremel.

Happens in the hot weather.

--
*The longest recorded flightof a chicken is thirteen seconds *