Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bit of steel pipe

Hi all.
I'm going to have the 22mm gas pipework to the combi re-routed
as it runs through a wall in an inconvenient position.
So I think I'll need to core drill thru with 38mm diameter
cutter to make it big enough for a piece of steel
pipe to line the hole. Is that correct?

And where can I get 6" of pipe to fit in the hole ..the steel pipe will
need a wall
thickness of about 5mm ?

Arthur

ps. It currently doesn't have a steel pipe lining so thats another
reason
I think it should be done again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davao wrote:
Hi all.
I'm going to have the 22mm gas pipework to the combi re-routed
as it runs through a wall in an inconvenient position.
So I think I'll need to core drill thru with 38mm diameter
cutter to make it big enough for a piece of steel
pipe to line the hole. Is that correct?

And where can I get 6" of pipe to fit in the hole ..the steel pipe will
need a wall thickness of about 5mm ?

It currently doesn't have a steel pipe lining so thats another
reason I think it should be done again.

It's a new one on me. I hve never seen that done or heard the need. For
one reason or another, the copper needs insulating from the masonry
with tape.

If you are woried about the integrity of th wall, why not knock half a
brick or so out and fill in with concrete or somesuch? If draughts, a
very smal amount of faom filler.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Davao" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all.
I'm going to have the 22mm gas pipework to the combi re-routed
as it runs through a wall in an inconvenient position.
So I think I'll need to core drill thru with 38mm diameter
cutter to make it big enough for a piece of steel
pipe to line the hole. Is that correct?

And where can I get 6" of pipe to fit in the hole ..the steel pipe will
need a wall
thickness of about 5mm ?

Arthur

ps. It currently doesn't have a steel pipe lining so thats another
reason
I think it should be done again.

Get a length of plastic sleeving from plumb ceter or such like, I cant
remember
what size drill bit to use, its about 26mm . You can also use 28mm copper to
sleeve the gas pipe but you have to buy 3 metres the plastic comes by the
metre.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:

Davao wrote:
Hi all.
I'm going to have the 22mm gas pipework to the combi re-routed
as it runs through a wall in an inconvenient position.
So I think I'll need to core drill thru with 38mm diameter
cutter to make it big enough for a piece of steel
pipe to line the hole. Is that correct?

And where can I get 6" of pipe to fit in the hole ..the steel pipe will
need a wall thickness of about 5mm ?

It currently doesn't have a steel pipe lining so thats another
reason I think it should be done again.

It's a new one on me. I hve never seen that done or heard the need. For
one reason or another, the copper needs insulating from the masonry
with tape.

If you are woried about the integrity of th wall, why not knock half a
brick or so out and fill in with concrete or somesuch? If draughts, a
very smal amount of faom filler.

I may have misread what I saw. Perhaps it was describing pipe runs
within wall cavities
or summat like that.

Thanks anyway.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davao wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all.
I'm going to have the 22mm gas pipework to the combi re-routed
as it runs through a wall in an inconvenient position.
So I think I'll need to core drill thru with 38mm diameter
cutter to make it big enough for a piece of steel
pipe to line the hole. Is that correct?

And where can I get 6" of pipe to fit in the hole ..

All proper plumbers merchants keep and sell off-cut lengths of 28mm copper
pipe
Which 22mm fits inside nicely.

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message .com
from "Davao" contains these words:

It currently doesn't have a steel pipe lining so thats another
reason I think it should be done again.

It's a new one on me. I hve never seen that done or heard the need. For
one reason or another, the copper needs insulating from the masonry
with tape.

If you are woried about the integrity of th wall, why not knock half a
brick or so out and fill in with concrete or somesuch? If draughts, a
very smal amount of faom filler.

Weatherlawyer resides in my killfile so I did not see his original
posting but as I understand it gas pipes need to be sleeved as a
precaution against leaking gas into the cavity. When BG moved my meter
the fitter used plastic pipe which was a sliding fit on the gas pipe.

--
Roger Chapman