Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Easiest way to channel wiring in a wall?

I need to bury wiring in my kitchen wall to add extra sockets when
refurbihing the kitchen.

What is the easiest method of removing the plaste / brick to bury the
cables?

Must be some way better than using a hammer ande chisel?

Steve..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dog-man wrote:
I need to bury wiring in my kitchen wall to add extra sockets when
refurbihing the kitchen.

What is the easiest method of removing the plaste / brick to bury the
cables?

Must be some way better than using a hammer ande chisel?

Steve..

There is...its called a wall chaser,hmmm! didn't Aldi have one cheap a week
or two ago?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
dog-man wrote:
I need to bury wiring in my kitchen wall to add extra sockets when
refurbihing the kitchen.

What is the easiest method of removing the plaste / brick to bury the
cables?

Must be some way better than using a hammer ande chisel?

Probably the most economical way is to buy an SDS drill with rotation stop
and use a chisel bit. But it's possible to do a deal of damage if
careless. ;-) It really depends on how much you have to chase out and how
hard the bricks etc are. If not a lot a selection of sharp cold chisels
and a club hammer isn't really that hard work into something like London
Stocks. The other way is to drill holes along the outside lines of the
chase and cut out the middle by hand.

Purpose made chasers are quick but tend to make so much mess there's not
much time saved. I believe you can buy cheap ones these days - once upon a
time they were expensive.

--
*Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "dog-man"
saying something like:

What is the easiest method of removing the plaste / brick to bury the
cables?

Must be some way better than using a hammer ande chisel?

SDS drill and chasing tool... look on screwfix's site.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

drugs began to take hold. I remember "dog-man"
saying something like:

What is the easiest method of removing the plaste / brick to bury the
cables?

Must be some way better than using a hammer ande chisel?

SDS drill and chasing tool... look on screwfix's site.

Can't find it on their site at present, but I bought a strange gadget
from Toolstation. It's a TCT arbor that fits on an angle grinder.
There's a shroud affair that sets the depth and a dust extractor for
attachment to your (wife's) trusty Dyson. Used it to erhm re-wire my
kitchen. Cost about £30 and was money well spent, even though the TCT
bits cost ~ £10 and don't last a great time if you channel in brick. In
retrospect I could have bought this 85445 SL580 Wall Chaser 240v for
~£70 from Toolstation which might be cheaper in the long run

HTH

RIchard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Richard contains these words:

Used it to erhm re-wire my kitchen.

You mean "replace certain existing circuits, like for like, in my kitchen"?

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 4 Aug 2006 20:24:04 +0100, Guy King
wrote:

You mean "replace certain existing circuits, like for like, in my kitchen"?

No, you mean - "replace certain existing circuits, like for like, in
my office (which before being called my office looked very much like
a kitchen and was reallocated as a kitchen shortly after completing
my office replacement wiring)."
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 19:46:25 +0000, The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

There is...its called a wall chaser,hmmm! didn't Aldi have one cheap a
week or two ago?

Ours (Reading) still have some

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 21:23:41 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

drugs began to take hold. I remember "dog-man"
saying something like:

What is the easiest method of removing the plaste / brick to bury the
cables?

Must be some way better than using a hammer ande chisel?

SDS drill and chasing tool... look on screwfix's site.

Don't use the screwfix one, it breaks. Toolstation do a better designed
and cheaper one. Basically an SDS angled gouge.