Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default remove cigarette burn from uPVC

Whilst I was off on holiday my eighteen-year-old son's friend decided
to nip outside
the conservatory for a quick smoke.
Having lit up (I'm making this bit up), he was then called inside so he
carefully laid his
lit cigarette on my 5-month-old conservatory cill, burning end
overhanging the end of
the cill (in free air).
You can probably see where this is going...

Yes, the interval between laying down the ciggie and returning was
longer than the
burn-in-free-air time, hence I now have a scorch mark to remove.

Blurry picture available at:
http://www.mungoh.f2s.com/Miscellaneous/uPVC_scorch.jpg

Whilst I am able to forgive an accident, I've yet to hear a spoken
apology from the culprit
which may be judged as how trivial this damage is in the culprit's
eyes. Or the culprit could
be running scared of my wrath. After I fix the damage I'd be willing to
forgive if the culprit
promised not to smoke anywhere within my property: once bitten, twice
shy etc. I'm
relaxed about young adults experimenting (within reason) with alcohol;
if they are stupid
enough to smoke then I am powerless to stop them; the combination of a
fuelled-up kid
and incendiary devices scares me even after hearing their inexperienced
bleatings of
"it will never happen".

So, having got that vehemence off my chest, anyone out there fixed such
a scorch-mark
problem before, and if so how did you go about it?
I thought it best to ask before making an attempt on the uPVC.

Thanks in advance

Mungo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mungo" wrote in message
ups.com...
Whilst I was off on holiday my eighteen-year-old son's friend decided
to nip outside
the conservatory for a quick smoke.
Having lit up (I'm making this bit up), he was then called inside so he
carefully laid his
lit cigarette on my 5-month-old conservatory cill, burning end
overhanging the end of
the cill (in free air).
You can probably see where this is going...

Yes, the interval between laying down the ciggie and returning was
longer than the
burn-in-free-air time, hence I now have a scorch mark to remove.

Blurry picture available at:
http://www.mungoh.f2s.com/Miscellaneous/uPVC_scorch.jpg

Whilst I am able to forgive an accident, I've yet to hear a spoken
apology from the culprit

Kill him.

Thanks in advance

I'll do it for you if you prefer.

Mary

Mungo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 19:50:44 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Mungo" wrote in message
oups.com...
Whilst I was off on holiday my eighteen-year-old son's friend decided
to nip outside
the conservatory for a quick smoke.
Having lit up (I'm making this bit up), he was then called inside so he
carefully laid his
lit cigarette on my 5-month-old conservatory cill, burning end
overhanging the end of
the cill (in free air).

snip

Whilst I am able to forgive an accident, I've yet to hear a spoken
apology from the culprit

Kill him.

The ciggies are already doing that...

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mungo wrote:
[...]

Most installers screw the cill to the window frame from underneath so
replacing it isn't really an option. I suppose there must be epoxy or
polyester repair kits for pvc? Maybe just paint it and put it down to
experience. Vow never to have anything to do with young adults ever again.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

Frank Erskine wrote:
On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 19:50:44 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Mungo" wrote in message
ups.com...
Whilst I was off on holiday my eighteen-year-old son's friend
decided to nip outside
the conservatory for a quick smoke.
Having lit up (I'm making this bit up), he was then called inside
so he carefully laid his
lit cigarette on my 5-month-old conservatory cill, burning end
overhanging the end of
the cill (in free air).

snip

Whilst I am able to forgive an accident, I've yet to hear a spoken
apology from the culprit

Kill him.

The ciggies are already doing that...

damn your nimble fingers :-)

to mungo: with a fine file and a very sharp chisel you may be able to
cut the offending burn out and inlay with a suitably sided and shaped
bit of upvc scrounged from a window maker ? don't know how well
you'd be able to blend it in to ? just a guess, obviously.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Aug 2006 11:08:09 -0700, Mungo wrote:

So, having got that vehemence off my chest, anyone out there fixed such
a scorch-mark
problem before, and if so how did you go about it?
I thought it best to ask before making an attempt on the uPVC.

Never had to do it because I hate uPVC, but I have seen burned uPVC in the
local pub and it strikes me that cigarettes burn deep into the plastic. It
may be very hard to remove the damage.

Personally I'd try using cutting compound to polish it away but you may end
up taking off "quite a bit" of the surface.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mungo" wrote in message
ups.com...
Whilst I was off on holiday my eighteen-year-old son's friend decided
to nip outside
the conservatory for a quick smoke.
Having lit up (I'm making this bit up), he was then called inside so he
carefully laid his
lit cigarette on my 5-month-old conservatory cill, burning end
overhanging the end of
the cill (in free air).
You can probably see where this is going...

Yes, the interval between laying down the ciggie and returning was
longer than the
burn-in-free-air time, hence I now have a scorch mark to remove.

Blurry picture available at:
http://www.mungoh.f2s.com/Miscellaneous/uPVC_scorch.jpg

What about those car dent fixers / car upholstery repairers.

They claim to be able to repair all kinds of plastics so maybe able to help
with upvc.

http://www.dentfix.co.uk/interiors.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 19:50:44 +0100, "Mary Fisher"

Whilst I am able to forgive an accident, I've yet to hear a spoken
apology from the culprit

Kill him.

The ciggies are already doing that...

Not quickly enough though. More painfully ...

Mary

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Horses and stable doors, etc....

....but whatever led you to believe you can leave 18 year olds
unsupervised? They're just big noisy toddlers really. Best to keep an
eye on 'em. ;-)

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MikeH" wrote in message
oups.com...

Horses and stable doors, etc....

...but whatever led you to believe you can leave 18 year olds
unsupervised? They're just big noisy toddlers really. Best to keep an
eye on 'em. ;-)

To be fair, it's not just 18 year olds. It's smokers of any age.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mungo" wrote in message
ups.com...
Whilst I was off on holiday my eighteen-year-old son's friend decided
to nip outside the conservatory for a quick smoke.

Are you sure it was not your own son smoking and not only that but smoking
dope or crack cocaine?

You have to be careful as my wife had found evidence of this before and when
challenged our son said the same thing after we had video evidence of him
smoking crack cocaine. We had him arrested and taken into juvenile detention
for 6 years until he was realised at age of 16.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adebisi
writes
"Mungo" wrote in message
oups.com...
Whilst I was off on holiday my eighteen-year-old son's friend decided
to nip outside the conservatory for a quick smoke.

Are you sure it was not your own son smoking and not only that but smoking
dope or crack cocaine?

You have to be careful as my wife had found evidence of this before and when
challenged our son said the same thing after we had video evidence of him
smoking crack cocaine. We had him arrested and taken into juvenile detention
for 6 years until he was realised at age of 16.

That's a bit severe for a burn on a window cill

.... better not come round your gaff with an eggcup full of petrol !

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mungo wrote:

[...]

You could clean the damaged area, fill it, and paint it.

Try this http://tinyurl.com/kzzwl

--
"S'ils te mordent, mords-les"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Aug 2006 11:08:09 -0700, "Mungo" wrote:

Yes, the interval between laying down the ciggie and returning was
longer than the
burn-in-free-air time, hence I now have a scorch mark to remove.

Friend of mine was round at another friend's place, plasma-cutting some
steel sheet. Not happy with the many workbenches on offer, he did it
outside on a PVC garden table.

It was the usual Workmate / circular saw trick. where you start the cut
well clear of the bench and somehow end up deep inside the worktop. This
one was a 3' long scorch mark right across the top of the table. You
can't plasma cut PVC, but you can't half discolour it.

We could smell it _inside_ the house before he even noticed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Andy Dingley contains these words:

It was the usual Workmate / circular saw trick. where you start the cut
well clear of the bench and somehow end up deep inside the worktop. This
one was a 3' long scorch mark right across the top of the table. You
can't plasma cut PVC, but you can't half discolour it.

We could smell it _inside_ the house before he even noticed.

I find with welding that the level of concentration focussed on such a
small spot excludes just about anything. Like a friend's puppy widdling
on my leg, for example.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On 1 Aug 2006 11:08:09 -0700, "Mungo" wrote:

Yes, the interval between laying down the ciggie and returning was
longer than the
burn-in-free-air time, hence I now have a scorch mark to remove.

Friend of mine was round at another friend's place, plasma-cutting some
steel sheet. Not happy with the many workbenches on offer, he did it
outside on a PVC garden table.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

Don't need to read any further :-)

It was the usual Workmate / circular saw trick. where you start the cut
well clear of the bench and somehow end up deep inside the worktop. This
one was a 3' long scorch mark right across the top of the table. You
can't plasma cut PVC, but you can't half discolour it.

We could smell it _inside_ the house before he even noticed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from Andy Dingley contains these words:

I find with welding that the level of concentration focussed on such a
small spot excludes just about anything. Like a friend's puppy widdling
on my leg, for example.

Another candidate for killing.

Kids and dogs. who'd have 'em!

Mary

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King typed

The message
from Andy Dingley contains these words:

It was the usual Workmate / circular saw trick. where you start the cut
well clear of the bench and somehow end up deep inside the worktop. This
one was a 3' long scorch mark right across the top of the table. You
can't plasma cut PVC, but you can't half discolour it.

We could smell it _inside_ the house before he even noticed.

I find with welding that the level of concentration focussed on such a
small spot excludes just about anything. Like a friend's puppy widdling
on my leg, for example.

Are you still wearing the same sandals, withour socks?
EMWTK

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
"Mungo" wrote:

anyone out there fixed such a scorch-mark problem before

Mungo,

I asked about repairing upvc before and someone suggested that you could
get brilliant white fibreglass filler from a ship's chandlers or
possibly from a motor factors. I never did track any down because we
were about to move anyway --- but I've just discovered that the upvc
door at th new place has a prang in it, so I'll be looking again.

HTH,

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message

I find with welding that the level of concentration focussed on such a
small spot excludes just about anything. Like a friend's puppy widdling
on my leg, for example.

Are you still wearing the same sandals, withour socks?
EMWTK

If the puppy widdled on his drainpipes it might have drained through his
hose to his pump ...

Mary

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Helen Deborah Vecht contains these words:

Are you still wearing the same sandals, withour socks?

I've learned not to weld wearing sandals - though I did the other day
'cos it was on the far side of a sheet of metal I was leaning over, so
the sparks all went the other way.

Worst was welding underneath a minibus and getting a spatter in the
earhole. I could hear it crackling as it burnt my earhairs. I
subsequently wore earmuffs for welding overhead.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 2 Aug 2006 09:33:49 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

Friend of mine was round at another friend's place, plasma-cutting some
steel sheet. Not happy with the many workbenches on offer, he did it
outside on a PVC garden table.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

Don't need to read any further :-)

You've met the culprit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Friend of mine was round at another friend's place, plasma-cutting some
steel sheet. Not happy with the many workbenches on offer, he did it
outside on a PVC garden table.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

Don't need to read any further :-)

You've met the culprit.

Indeed. In fact I think I'd not mind his sins too much - but since I haven't
any PVC furniture it couldn't happen here. Wood is more forgiving :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike wrote:
In article . com,
"Mungo" wrote:

anyone out there fixed such a scorch-mark problem before

Mungo,

I asked about repairing upvc before and someone suggested that you could
get brilliant white fibreglass filler from a ship's chandlers or
possibly from a motor factors. I never did track any down because we
were about to move anyway --- but I've just discovered that the upvc
door at th new place has a prang in it, so I'll be looking again.

HTH,

Mike

I had damage on a motor home, what you need is brilliant white upvc
gell, hardener, acetone, very fine wet and dry also lots of elbow
grease. The last you will have to supply yourself but there will
probably be a fibre glass business or a motor home "doctor" near or even
a ships chandler, if you are near the coast or a canal, from whom you
can scrounge the other items. I then masked around the damaged area,
cleaned well with wet and dry then acetone, applied the gell mixed with
the hardener, a little proud, then covered with polythene (it goes off
when not in contact with air). Next day remove it and the masking tape,
apply plenty of elbow grease using the wet and dry then polish with T-cut.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Broadback contains these words:

I had damage on a motor home, what you need is brilliant white upvc
gell, hardener, acetone, very fine wet and dry also lots of elbow
grease. The last you will have to supply yourself but there will
probably be a fibre glass business or a motor home "doctor" near or even
a ships chandler, if you are near the coast or a canal, from whom you
can scrounge the other items. I then masked around the damaged area,
cleaned well with wet and dry then acetone, applied the gell mixed with
the hardener, a little proud, then covered with polythene (it goes off
when not in contact with air). Next day remove it and the masking tape,
apply plenty of elbow grease using the wet and dry then polish with T-cut.

That sounds a lot more like GRP than uPVC.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Adebisi, Ceri wrote:
sdfsdf wrote:

"Mungo" wrote in message
ups.com...
Are you sure it was not your own son smoking and not only that but smoking
dope or crack cocaine?
You have to be careful as my wife had found evidence of this before and

when
challenged our son said the same thing after we had video evidence of him
smoking crack cocaine. We had him arrested and taken into juvenile

detention
for 6 years until he was realised at age of 16.

You did that to your own Son? That's an excellent way to make your child
hate you forever. Shocking when a parent can't help their child without
sending them away for many years. I guess they know who NOT to come to
when they need help or advice...well done.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sdfsdf wrote:

"Mungo" wrote in message
ups.com...
Are you sure it was not your own son smoking and not only that but smoking
dope or crack cocaine?
You have to be careful as my wife had found evidence of this before and

when
challenged our son said the same thing after we had video evidence of him
smoking crack cocaine. We had him arrested and taken into juvenile

detention
for 6 years until he was realised at age of 16.

You did that to your own Son? That's an excellent way to make your child
hate you forever. Shocking when a parent can't help their child without
sending them away for many years. I guess they know who NOT to come to
when they need help or advice...well done.

--

9 years after the message do you think Abedisi is gonna see your reply?

Tim