Shabs

Default Removing glass from UPVC window frame

How do i remove the glass from a upvc window frame. I have some sort
of plastic beading with rubber touching the glass around the frame on
the inside but not sure how to remove this beading. Will the glass
then just pop out?

Thanks in advance
Alan

"Shabs" wrote in message
m...
How do i remove the glass from a upvc window frame. I have some sort
of plastic beading with rubber touching the glass around the frame on
the inside but not sure how to remove this beading. Will the glass
then just pop out?

Thanks in advance

Usually the plastic trim can be coaxed out with a thin, flat tool, then the
glass panel comes out.

Rory

"Shabs" wrote in message
m...
How do i remove the glass from a upvc window frame. I have some sort
of plastic beading with rubber touching the glass around the frame on
the inside but not sure how to remove this beading. Will the glass
then just pop out?

Is there a window that you can experiment with that's perhaps behind blinds
etc?
As yours has the beading on the inside it may just be the reverse of what
I'm saying below, but it could be totally different!

On ours, the beveled plastic beading is on the outside and the outside
rubber seal slides into this, so doesn't just pull the seal off.
What you do is remove the inside rubber seal - just a matter of grabbing it
with some thin pliers - and remove the seal on all sides. This leaves a
small gap so from the outside you can then push the sealed unit inwards so
that it moves away from the outer seal. There's then (suppossed to be)
enough clearance for the plastic beading to snap off - it's always a bit
awkward but you push it in on the edge adjacent to the frame with your
thumbs and it should push off. Once you get one off you can see how it
works and maybe figure a better way of doing it. I've had to resort to a
rubber mallet and wooden wedges to prise some of them off.

HTH

Ian Stirling

Shabs wrote:
How do i remove the glass from a upvc window frame. I have some sort
of plastic beading with rubber touching the glass around the frame on
the inside but not sure how to remove this beading. Will the glass
then just pop out?

If you can't work it out quickly, a brick will remove the glass quite
rapidly, and then you can work out what you should have done.
Colin Wilson

How do i remove the glass from a upvc window frame. I have some sort
of plastic beading with rubber touching the glass around the frame on
the inside but not sure how to remove this beading. Will the glass
then just pop out?

It depends on a few things, as others have mentioned - something else as
well though - ours is externally glazed, and the beads are also outside.

There are metal retainers holding the panes in place once all the beads
are off. I`m not sure how to get them off, but you might come across
something similar...

Maurice Hood

"Shabs" wrote in message

How do i remove the glass from a upvc window frame. I have some sort
of plastic beading with rubber touching the glass around the frame on
the inside but not sure how to remove this beading. Will the glass
then just pop out?

Thanks in advance

Cut your possible losses. Look up your local window installers. All
companies use different methods. A new sealed unit will cost you, and
if you damage the frame (easy to do) it will not endear you to HHMBO!