Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sawing through tiles on the wall?

In my rather narrow coal cellar I've got an area which has been tiled
to provide a utility space - washing machine etc. The tiles are mounted
on plasterboard which is fixed to battons on the wall. I have realised
rather late in the day that I may have created ventilation problems
under the floor of one of the rooms on the ground floor. The void
underneath the floor is only about a foot in depth (the cellar itself
doesn't extend under that part of the house. On the external wall of
that room there is an airbrick at under-floor level. However, I now
realise that the flow of air through this void went through the cellar
and out of the coalhole, but my new plasterboard is now in the way.

| | Under-floor void |
| | |
| Tiles and |_____________________________|
| plaster |
| board --|
| top to |
| bottom |
| |
| |
| Cellar |
| |
|_________________|

There is no brick behind the top eight inches of the plasterboard wall.
The remedy seems to be to put a couple of vents into the the top of
plasterboard wall to restore the air flow.

Anyway, getting to the point, how can I do this job neatly? To make the
ventillation cut-out through the wall I could drill through the tiles
and plasterboard at the four corners of the cut-out. But then I would
need to saw through the tile and plasterboard to take out the
rectangle. Is that possible? Or any other bright ideas?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martin Pentreath" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

=============================
Wickes tungsten carbide jigsaw blades (MEDIUM CUT) will do the job
perfectly. Wickes No: W 500 960 W.

I suppose other manufacturers make similar blades. Those fromWickes will fit
B&D and similar fitting jigsaws.

Cic.

----
It has removed 95 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Buy a Rotozip or Omnisaw and use that?

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Pentreath wrote:

There is no brick behind the top eight inches of the plasterboard wall.
The remedy seems to be to put a couple of vents into the the top of
plasterboard wall to restore the air flow.

Anyway, getting to the point, how can I do this job neatly? To make the
ventillation cut-out through the wall I could drill through the tiles
and plasterboard at the four corners of the cut-out. But then I would
need to saw through the tile and plasterboard to take out the
rectangle. Is that possible? Or any other bright ideas?

All the manual tile saws I've seen are like a coping saw, ie, blade in a
frame in front of and behind the cut, and presumably you don't have
access for that?

Possibilities...

Drill your 4 corner holes, then chain-drill lots more holes along the 4
sides; hopefully you can break out the middle rectangle without damaging
the rest. Clean up the exposed edges with sandpaper/dremel/angle
grinder or something.

-or-

Honeycomb the entire area concerned with holes to make a diy vented
tile. If it doesn't look right, cover with one of those plastic vents
you get to cover airbricks etc.

David

Best way to remove wall tiles without breaking? The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 3 June 1st 06 12:25 AM
Best way to remove wall tiles without breaking? John UK diy 0 May 31st 06 07:44 PM
Selecting wall tiles for a shower. [email protected] Home Ownership 3 May 30th 05 07:39 PM
wall and floor tiles Kee Home Repair 3 May 30th 05 04:47 PM
Painting over Kitchen Wall Tiles Mary UK diy 0 November 14th 03 11:57 AM