Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Substance to remove screen coating and reaply(None DIY but please read)

Hello All
This may sound like a silly thing to do but I want to remove the screen
coating on my Mitsubishi monitor and reapply it.(I know this is a none
DIY question but the substance I need is very likely to be used in a
DIY environment.)
The reason being that over time I have cleaned it a little to
vigorously with my fingers etc and I have removed some of the
coating,where I cleaned it,it now looks like it is scratched when the
light is on it(it isn't)only the coating has been
removed where I have cleaned it.So I would like to completely remove it
and reaply.Any ideas what would do a good job without scratching the
glass.I have tried a few bathroom cleaners with no success,but don't
want to try kitchen cleaners as they are usually abrasive.I have also
tried nail polish remover,as the acetone content was suggested to me on
another group I am on and turps and white spirit.The nail polish
remover was the best one,but it is going to take quite a while to do a
good job,the turps and white spirit was to slimy and just left a hard
to get off smear.

Ideas anyone please.

Thanks A Lot
Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from ioan_davies contains these words:

(I know this is a none DIY question

Sounds very DIY to me.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ioan_davies" wrote in message
[...]

=============================
Since the nail polish remover has some effect it would be worth getting some
pure acetone. This should work better because it won't have the additives
contained in nail polish remover.

You could also try Isopropyl alcohol (IPA ) which you may have to order from
your chemist.

It might also be worth trying a small area with a sharp razor blade before
cleaning with either acetone or IPA.

Cic.

----
It has removed 78 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 18:16:46 GMT, ioan_davies
wrote:

This may sound like a silly thing to do but I want to remove the screen
coating on my Mitsubishi monitor and reapply it.(I know this is a none
DIY question but the substance I need is very likely to be used in a
DIY environment.)

I found almost everything was very good at removing the anti glare
coating on my Sony monitor :-(

If you find out how to apply a new coating then please let me know.

Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ioan_davies wrote:
[...]

Err, the coating thickness is a quarter of the wavelength of visible
light - that's how it works. How do you plan to apply a 150nm thick coating?

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Cicero
wrote:

[...]

Hello Cic
Just a big thanks for your informative reply.Any ideas where to get
pure acetone from as I have looked in B & Q,Focus etc and no one seems
to know where to get any from.I presume one of those nail/false nail
polishing places you see in the high streets would be a good place to
look next as it is a nail substance.
As for the recoating I was going to put some car windscreen
moisture repellent on and then to keep it clean after I would use some
iClean from Apple/Monster.As all the coating would be gone by this
time, I will be able to see my screen with no anti glare scratches
distracting me.

Again thanks a lot for the information.
Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

==========================
You can get acetone at most chemists - some might ask you what you want if
for as it's a bit hazardous. It's best to use rubber or latex gloves if
you're using it a lot.

Check the post from 'Dave' about re-coating although your solution isn't
strictly speaking 're-coating'. If you get to the stage of plain glass then
it should be quite simple to keep it clean.

Cic.

----
It has removed 97 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!