Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Before I glue& panel pin this on

Does anyone think the center fancy piece looks out of place?

http://www.20xx20.myby.co.uk/P7260005.JPG

Thanks.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

This is a better pic.

http://www.20xx20.myby.co.uk/P7260006.JPG

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-07-26 20:07:02 +0100, "The3rd Earl Of Derby" said:

Does anyone think the center fancy piece looks out of place?

http://www.20xx20.myby.co.uk/P7260005.JPG

Thanks.

I think that it would ultimately depend on what is going inside it -
i.e. what does the fireplace look like, or is it a dummy of some kind?

The only thing that immediately hit me (and this is just an instant
reaction thing) is perhaps that component is a bit too large in terms
of scale. Certainly I think that if you had used the same barley
twist design as those on the vertical it would be too much.

Faced with this, I think I'd complete and install the surround, put
what is going to be on it and live with it for a while. Then add
the decoration and see what you think.

Are you going to leave it in a fairly light colour or stain it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message k
from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

Does anyone think the center fancy piece looks out of place?

It makes the whole panel look like a drawer just waiting to be pulled
out. It's the chunky ends that do it - if they tapered more it'd look
less heavy.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-07-26 20:07:02 +0100, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
said:

Does anyone think the center fancy piece looks out of place?

http://www.20xx20.myby.co.uk/P7260005.JPG

Thanks.

I think that it would ultimately depend on what is going inside it -
i.e. what does the fireplace look like, or is it a dummy of some kind?

The only thing that immediately hit me (and this is just an instant
reaction thing) is perhaps that component is a bit too large in terms
of scale. Certainly I think that if you had used the same barley
twist design as those on the vertical it would be too much.

Faced with this, I think I'd complete and install the surround, put
what is going to be on it and live with it for a while. Then add
the decoration and see what you think.

Are you going to leave it in a fairly light colour or stain it?

Well I made it for myself but now I'm nearing its completion I'm at a loss
wether to keep it or sell it to the bloke who's offering to buy.

If he buys,he said he's going to varnish it with *Satin Clear*.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
.uk...
Does anyone think the center fancy piece looks out of place?

http://www.20xx20.myby.co.uk/P7260005.JPG

What would bother me is the fact that both spindles have the same twist
direction, which makes the piece un-symmetrical
(I bet you wish you hadn't asked now)!

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:
The message k
from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

Does anyone think the center fancy piece looks out of place?

It makes the whole panel look like a drawer just waiting to be pulled
out. It's the chunky ends that do it - if they tapered more it'd look
less heavy.

Well I've looked around for spindles and it seems they only do 3 or 4
traditional designs, none taper at the ends being stair spindles mind.
I'll be damned paying a stupid price for the mouldings thats on sale at the
sheds I mean the carvings are not at all good and they want something like
14GBP for a moulding thats even too small for the center.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:
"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
.uk...
Does anyone think the center fancy piece looks out of place?

http://www.20xx20.myby.co.uk/P7260005.JPG

What would bother me is the fact that both spindles have the same
twist direction, which makes the piece un-symmetrical
(I bet you wish you hadn't asked now)!

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Far from buying a spindle moulder, you will not get off the shelf same
spindles going the opposite to whats on it now.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Does anyone think the center fancy piece looks out of place?

http://www.20xx20.myby.co.uk/P7260005.JPG

To me, it should resemble more the side ornamentation.

--
*Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Far from buying a spindle moulder, you will not get off the shelf same
spindles going the opposite to whats on it now.

My comment was intended to convey my sense of the ecstatic, and had nothing
to do with mere practicalities!

Graham.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
.uk...
Does anyone think the center fancy piece looks out of place?

http://www.20xx20.myby.co.uk/P7260005.JPG

Thanks.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

I'm looking at it and thinking "spindles look better vertical" Very nice
otherwise. How about a more rounded floral or scroll moulding motif in the
center?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Does anyone think the center fancy piece looks out of place?

http://www.20xx20.myby.co.uk/P7260005.JPG

Thanks.

I think it suits it well.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Jul 2006 22:22:43 +0200, Graham. wrote:

What would bother me is the fact that both spindles have the same twist
direction,

Erks me as well. Though In had read this comment before looking at the
image. They really ought to be opposite hands and I think paired each
side, erm difficult to explain but if L is lefthand twist R right hand:

I think

L R opening R L

would be better than

L L opening R R

Also assuming the the L one is as in the image ie the diagonal of the
"thread" points upwards towards the center of the column.

The top does look a bit "heavy", it might be better if the base didn't
start until the same distance up as the square on the ends of the spiral
pieces. That might mean you need to do somthing on the face of the top
blocks at each end though. Four bits of moulding mitred to make a fake
panel would do similar at the base of each column. Is it now starting to
get to "fussy" in appearance?

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Does anyone think the center fancy piece looks out of place?

http://www.20xx20.myby.co.uk/P7260005.JPG

Thanks.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Well, it's better than the one my dad made, but I think i would go
ahead and sell this one and build yourself a better one having used
this for practice.

I think the spindles just don't work for the reasons that others have
said.

Either try some spindles which aren't handed, or do something different
- get some wood and have a go a "carving" it with planes, chisels, saws
etc. Might not get it quite so "perfect" as a manufactured piece, but
then it might look better for it.

As to finish, I would want to see it either stained so it looked like
it was all made from the same type of wood, or prefferably painted
white.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Surely this is too much of a "personal preference" situation!

IMHO it wasn't until I read the other postings that I realised what was
unbalanced about it - the twist direction of the vertical spindles.
Being a draughtsman, anything unsymmetrical or out of line is difficult to
cope with.

Personally, I would have used the horizontal half spindle design for the
uprights as well as the adornment but I'm sure that would be far too
"ordered" for most!

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Does anyone think the center fancy piece looks out of place?

http://www.20xx20.myby.co.uk/P7260005.JPG

Thanks.

A mixed difference of opinion all round, however I've looked a the pic and
tried to visualise the barley twist pieces in symetrical and to be honest
it wouldn't look right.

But anyway thanks all for opinions.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Does anyone think the center fancy piece looks out of place?

http://www.20xx20.myby.co.uk/P7260005.JPG

Thanks.

A mixed difference of opinion all round, however I've looked a the pic and
tried to visualise the barley twist pieces in symetrical and to be honest
it wouldn't look right.

You just keep telling yourself that
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Does anyone think the center fancy piece looks out of place?

http://www.20xx20.myby.co.uk/P7260005.JPG

Thanks.

A mixed difference of opinion all round, however I've looked a the pic and
tried to visualise the barley twist pieces in symetrical and to be honest
it wouldn't look right.

But anyway thanks all for opinions.

If it were my fireplace I would put it to one side and sort that wallpaper
(and wall behind it, out whilst I thought about the twists and other
spindles!
HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Does anyone think the center fancy piece looks out of place?

http://www.20xx20.myby.co.uk/P7260005.JPG

Thanks.

A mixed difference of opinion all round, however I've looked a the
pic and tried to visualise the barley twist pieces in symetrical and
to be honest it wouldn't look right.

But anyway thanks all for opinions.

If it were my fireplace I would put it to one side and sort that
wallpaper (and wall behind it), out whilst I thought about the twists
and other spindles!
HTH

John

Heard you the first time. ;-) silly sorting the wallpaper out seeing its
the workshop room. :-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite