Junior Member

Default 6mm or 10mm electrical bonding?

Hi all,
I am due to have a conservatory added and company insist my electric are bonded
to 10mm to be in line with new part p building regs.
I had a new boiler installed with relevant new timer controls. The electrician then seemed
to be happy and he gave me a minor works certificate in addition to British Gas providing the overall certificates.
My questions are 1. does bonding require updating and 2. should this have been done in December when the boiler was installed, therefore I could hold them responsible to do the job properly?
Would appreciate your wisdom.
Many thanks
Shirley
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm fitting a new consumer unit and the requiremnet is 16 sq mm for the
primary earth to the supply and 10 sq mm for the secondary bond(s) to
gas/water/oil. My place has a PME earthing which has the most stringent
requirements, other earthing arrangements may not.

Although the size of secondary bonds is specified in the wiring regs, I
don't think it specifies which kinds of work require an update.
Generally the regs don't apply retrospectively, so if no work is
carried out on that part of the system then there is no requirment to
update.

If building the conservatory requires the secondary bonds are moved,
then yes they probably should be updated.

Plaster - bonding coat layers Pecanfan UK diy 13 September 13th 20 12:32 AM
Electrical work for new electric shower and jacuzzi Migue UK diy 9 June 22nd 06 08:32 AM
Tiling on Bonding Plaster? Paul R UK diy 1 May 6th 05 09:30 PM
Earth bonding queries Lobster UK diy 20 January 31st 04 08:54 AM
Forthcoming Building Regulations on electrical work (Part P) Andrew McKay UK diy 42 July 30th 03 08:05 AM