Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Extractor Fan triggered by Flow Switch - Possible ?

Hi All

I am in the UK and have bought a timer type Extractor fan for my Bathroom.
Because it is such a bright room people don't always turn on the light when
they use the Shower.( That is relevant to my question honest!)

I want the Extractor to switch on when any one of the HOT taps or the shower
are operated. ( the shower is not one of those electric ones).

So I was thinking that a Flow switch installed in the piping run could be an
idea to activate the extractor.

Any one know what I need to buy ? My extractor is a Air Master xf4t 240 V AC
and requires a 3 amp fuse - if that is any help.

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Glide wrote:

I am in the UK and have bought a timer type Extractor fan for my Bathroom.
Because it is such a bright room people don't always turn on the light when
they use the Shower.( That is relevant to my question honest!)

I want the Extractor to switch on when any one of the HOT taps or the shower
are operated. ( the shower is not one of those electric ones).

So I was thinking that a Flow switch installed in the piping run could be an
idea to activate the extractor.

Dunno, sounds a bit 'odd'... my suggestion would be to replace the fan
with one which includes a humidistat. That way as soon as water vapour
from the shower is detected, on it goes, and stays on until levels are
back to normal. I'm pretty sure you can buy the sensors independently too.

David

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Glide" wrote in message
Hi All

I am in the UK and have bought a timer type Extractor fan for my Bathroom.
Because it is such a bright room people don't always turn on the light
when they use the Shower.( That is relevant to my question honest!)

I want the Extractor to switch on when any one of the HOT taps or the
shower are operated. ( the shower is not one of those electric ones).

So I was thinking that a Flow switch installed in the piping run could be
an idea to activate the extractor.

Any one know what I need to buy ? My extractor is a Air Master xf4t 240 V
AC and requires a 3 amp fuse - if that is any help.

Simple.
Use a PIR sensor to activate the fan timer instead of the light switch-wire.
Also has the advantage of covering all bathroom activities, not just
showering.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Glide wrote:

I want the Extractor to switch on when any one of the HOT taps or the shower
are operated. ( the shower is not one of those electric ones).

Hot water cylinder thermostat at a suitable point on the hot water pipe,
assuming they come in normally-closed or changeover flavours. Else add
a relay to do the inversion. No plumbing needed.

Alternatively, humidistat or PIR as already suggested.

Kim.