Posted to uk.d-i-y
Suz Suz is offline

Default Do you have a pressure washer?

Looking or a basic pressure washer and the Bosch entry level only comes with
a "fixed fan lance".
Some of the higher end (or cheap brands) bundle other attachements, but I
don't know how important they are. Vacuum cleaner extra attachements are
essential...

Those of you who use a pressure washer, do you use the 'extra' bits?

TIA
Suzanne

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Suz" wrote in message
Looking or a basic pressure washer and the Bosch entry level only comes
with a "fixed fan lance".
Some of the higher end (or cheap brands) bundle other attachements, but I
don't know how important they are. Vacuum cleaner extra attachements are
essential...

Those of you who use a pressure washer, do you use the 'extra' bits?

Personally I wouldn't use the fixed lance I have with mine on my car as it
would be too powerful.
Although in theory you could just take a step back away from the car to
reduce the pressure.

Mine also comes with a rotary attachment. I've tried it a couple of times
but found a hand wash produces better results with less effort.

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/electrical/...washer_faq.htm has some good
facts about pressure washers.

Steven.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Suz wrote:
Looking or a basic pressure washer and the Bosch entry level only
comes with a "fixed fan lance".

A variable lance is useful if cleaning patios because you can use the
'pencil' jet to clean really stubborn bits. Worth having. Rotary jet lance
(a spinning pencil jet) is also useful for patio cleaning.

Some of the higher end (or cheap brands) bundle other attachments,
but I don't know how important they are. Vacuum cleaner extra
attachments are essential...

Don't be influenced by the Bosch brand, the machines I'd guess are made by
FIAP in Italy, although that's not a bad brand. Sticking to a 'name' is a
good idea because of parts (like hoses) in the future.

The brushes are of limited use, don't help much when cleaning cars.
Domestic machines simply don't have the power to run drain jets &
sandblasters.

Those of you who use a pressure washer, do you use the 'extra' bits?

I have a heavy duty industrial machine. The only extras I use are the
drain jet (my machine does have the power to run it) and a patio cleaning
head.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
.uk...
Suz wrote:
Looking or a basic pressure washer and the Bosch entry level only
comes with a "fixed fan lance".

A variable lance is useful if cleaning patios because you can use the
'pencil' jet to clean really stubborn bits. Worth having.

But be very careful, it's powerful and can cut through some materials,
including soft stone and even concrete.

Vacuum cleaner extra
attachments are essential...

eh?

Don't be influenced by the Bosch brand, the machines I'd guess are made by
FIAP in Italy, although that's not a bad brand. Sticking to a 'name' is a
good idea because of parts (like hoses) in the future.

We bought one years ago from B&Q I think, we've never needed to replace
parts.

The brushes are of limited use, don't help much when cleaning cars.

Oh - ours does. Not that we clean the car much :-)

Those of you who use a pressure washer, do you use the 'extra' bits?

I have a heavy duty industrial machine. The only extras I use are the
drain jet (my machine does have the power to run it) and a patio cleaning
head.

We haven't a patio and have never needed to unblock drains (and certainly
not sand blast) but it's worth remembering if ever we do, thanks.

Which reminds me that it's very useful for cleaning paintwork prior to
re-painting but not for simple cleaning. It can remove loose paint
beautifully.

Reminder - don't use the jet on soft materials or the car unless you want to
etch a design ...

Mary

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Suz Suz is offline

t...

Suz wrote:
Looking or a basic pressure washer and the Bosch entry level only
comes with a "fixed fan lance".

A variable lance is useful if cleaning patios because you can use the
'pencil' jet to clean really stubborn bits. Worth having.

But be very careful, it's powerful and can cut through some materials,
including soft stone and even concrete.

Vacuum cleaner extra
attachments are essential...

eh?

Wouldn't be much fun with just a hose end - I use all five attachments on
ours, the main rotary brushy bit obviously, the long skinny bit for along
the skirting, the wee round brush for picture rails, the stair thingy and a
mini rotary for the car.
Wouldn't buy a hoover without any of these, except maybe the car bit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 14:31:28 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

But be very careful, it's powerful and can cut through some materials,
including soft stone and even concrete.

[snips]

Reminder - don't use the jet on soft materials or the car unless you want to
etch a design ...

Don't let the kids use it unless they're older than about 45.

They *will* make swirly clean patterns in the patina of paving stones
and will probably write their names, which at least makes identifying
the culprit easier.

BTW Sainsbury's at the White Rose Centre was selling them off (Red
Devil brand) at £9.99 on Friday this week. Pretty good that since it's
not that long ago a decent quality 13A plug was £2.50.

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Suz wrote:

Looking or a basic pressure washer and the Bosch entry level only
comes with a "fixed fan lance".
Some of the higher end (or cheap brands) bundle other attachements,
but I don't know how important they are. Vacuum cleaner extra
attachements are essential...

Those of you who use a pressure washer, do you use the 'extra' bits?

TIA
Suzanne

I have a Kartcher washer which I bought from B&Q getting on for 10 years
ago. The pressure hose has a bayonet connector immediately after the
trigger, into which various attachments can be plugged. It came with a
lance, detergent dispenser and car brush. I have subsequently bought a
rotating brush and a long nozzle for washing the underside of cars.

I *mainly* use the lance - for patio cleaning. As others have said, a fixed
car washing brush is a waste of space - no better than a brush on the end of
a normal hose. I do find the detergent dispenser and rotary brush quite
useful for caravan washing - not that I do that very often. I can't quite
remember why I bought the under-car nozzle - I think I've only ever used it
once. [Actually, I could probably do the conservatory roof with it - there's
a thought!]

If you *do* buy a machine with a fixed lance, you *may* subsequently be able
to replace the pressure hose with one which accepts accessories - but the
end result would almost certainly be more expensive than getting one at the
outset which comes bundled with all the bits you want.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Suz" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
.uk...

Vacuum cleaner extra
attachments are essential...

eh?

Wouldn't be much fun with just a hose end - I use all five attachments on
ours, the main rotary brushy bit obviously, the long skinny bit for along
the skirting, the wee round brush for picture rails, the stair thingy and
a mini rotary for the car.
Wouldn't buy a hoover without any of these, except maybe the car bit.

Ours isn't a Hoover, can't remember what it is. It's an upright. He uses it.
He does the stairs with a smaller cylinder. You're obviously far more
houseproud than I am :-)

I used to be, then I discovered Life.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
wrote:

Reminder - don't use the jet on soft materials or the car unless you want
etch a design ...

Don't let the kids use it unless they're older than about 45.

LOL!

They *will* make swirly clean patterns in the patina of paving stones
and will probably write their names, which at least makes identifying
the culprit easier.

Yes, they always write their names in crayon on the walls. Or if they draw
pictures it's at eye level.

We, of course, didn't make such mistakes :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message

I *mainly* use the lance - for patio cleaning.

I decided that I'm glad we haven't a patio.

Then I realised that we have a hard area at the back, we call it 'the upper
terrace' :-)

I sweep it with a brush from time to time, no point in doing more because
the hens would immediately leave their signatures ...

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
wrote:

But be very careful, it's powerful and can cut through some materials,
including soft stone and even concrete.

[snips]

Reminder - don't use the jet on soft materials or the car unless you want
etch a design ...

Don't let the kids use it unless they're older than about 45.

They *will* make swirly clean patterns in the patina of paving stones
and will probably write their names, which at least makes identifying
the culprit easier.

BTW Sainsbury's at the White Rose Centre was selling them off (Red
Devil brand) at £9.99 on Friday this week. Pretty good that since it's
not that long ago a decent quality 13A plug was £2.50.

I bought the red devil brand from Argos. Unfortunately it packed in on its
first outing.
The second one done the same.
I eventually bought the one Lidl do every now and then and can't fault it.

Steven.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steven Campbell wrote:
news
wrote:

[...]

That was typical of all the *Red Devil* stuff, it wasnt long before
stockist dropped the range from sales.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Derek ^ wrote:

BTW Sainsbury's at the White Rose Centre was selling them off (Red
Devil brand) at £9.99 on Friday this week. Pretty good that since it's
not that long ago a decent quality 13A plug was £2.50.

DG

Heh! I thought it would have been better giving it away free with every
50GBP you spend at the till.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I bought the cheapest one I could see in the shops about 5
years ago, a no-name from Woolworths. IIRC, it was under £50.
It turned out to be a DeltaJet Pro 1200 by Lavorwash.
It gets quite a bit of use, and works fine. It is used with
the water from my waterbut, which is a bit cloudly/sandy just
after rain, so I'm surprised it's lasted so long.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Suz wrote:
Looking or a basic pressure washer and the Bosch entry level only
comes with a "fixed fan lance".

A variable lance is useful if cleaning patios because you can use the
'pencil' jet to clean really stubborn bits. Worth having.

But be very careful, it's powerful and can cut through some materials,
including soft stone and even concrete.

Nah! Nothing on a domestic machine can be described as powerful! Not when
you have used a 200bar @ 20 lpm machine driven by a 13hp Honda. Now that is
powerful!

:-)

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
Yes, they always write their names in crayon on the walls. Or if they
draw pictures it's at eye level.
We, of course, didn't make such mistakes :-)

Or we only made them once :-(

Ah, I hear the voice of experience!

Mary

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Suz wrote:
Looking or a basic pressure washer and the Bosch entry level only
comes with a "fixed fan lance".

A variable lance is useful if cleaning patios because you can use the
'pencil' jet to clean really stubborn bits. Worth having.

But be very careful, it's powerful and can cut through some materials,
including soft stone and even concrete.

Nah! Nothing on a domestic machine can be described as powerful! Not
when you have used a 200bar @ 20 lpm machine driven by a 13hp Honda. Now
that is powerful!

You can willy wave as much as you like but I have the evidence to prove my
point :-)

Mary

:-)

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 20:01:59 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
o.uk...
Suz wrote:
Looking or a basic pressure washer and the Bosch entry level only
comes with a "fixed fan lance".

A variable lance is useful if cleaning patios because you can use the
'pencil' jet to clean really stubborn bits. Worth having.

But be very careful, it's powerful and can cut through some materials,
including soft stone and even concrete.

Nah! Nothing on a domestic machine can be described as powerful! Not
when you have used a 200bar @ 20 lpm machine driven by a 13hp Honda. Now
that is powerful!

You can willy wave as much as you like but I have the evidence to prove my
point :-)

Prove your "point", eh?

OK, I believe you, post a photo here :

http://login.yahoo.com/config/login?...hotos&.intl=uk

Mary

8-)

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Suz Suz is offline

"Steven Campbell" wrote in message
"Suz" wrote in message
Looking or a basic pressure washer and the Bosch entry level only comes
with a "fixed fan lance".
Some of the higher end (or cheap brands) bundle other attachements, but I
don't know how important they are. Vacuum cleaner extra attachements are
essential...

Those of you who use a pressure washer, do you use the 'extra' bits?

Personally I wouldn't use the fixed lance I have with mine on my car as it
would be too powerful.
Although in theory you could just take a step back away from the car to
reduce the pressure.

Mine also comes with a rotary attachment. I've tried it a couple of times
but found a hand wash produces better results with less effort.

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/electrical/...washer_faq.htm has some good
facts about pressure washers.

Steven.

That was very useful thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Suz wrote:

Those of you who use a pressure washer, do you use the 'extra' bits?

I find I use the flat spray wand about 2/3rds of the time and the
rotating pencil jet on the few occations you want really aggressive
cleaning. Having said that, the power of the washer may have a big
impact on the effectiveness of the different types of wands/spray patterns.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Suz wrote:
Looking or a basic pressure washer and the Bosch entry level only
comes with a "fixed fan lance".
Some of the higher end (or cheap brands) bundle other attachements,
but I don't know how important they are. Vacuum cleaner extra
attachements are essential...

Those of you who use a pressure washer, do you use the 'extra' bits?

TIA
Suzanne

Pity you where not looking for this item 2 months ago? Aldi had a 2Kw
130bar (probably 110bar max)for 79GBP
according to Aldi sales it literally sold like hot cakes throughout the UK.
The PW was a rebadged Karcher.

Take a look in Argos, but don't buy anything with a brush motor as they
don't last long.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite